UKBouldering.com

igeology ap (Read 1954 times)

rich d

• forum hero
igeology ap
September 24, 2010, 11:24:00 pm
Stumbled across this and downloaded the free ap on the shortie's phone. Class to play about with, bit of science.
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/iGeology/home.html?src=sfb

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: igeology ap
September 25, 2010, 11:45:13 am
From early 2011 Android smartphone users will also be able to use iGeology and quickly start learning about the rocks where they live, go on holiday, or go on educational field trips.

Nice

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: igeology ap
September 25, 2010, 05:29:06 pm
Dont get me started on the BGS.... yes its a neat app and nice to see whats neath your feet - BUT...
If you want any more info or anything more detailed it shunts you over to the BGS shop  :wank:

The BGS is funded by us (£25 - 30 million a year of tax payers money) and always has been - so all their data should be free and in the public domain.... nearly as bad as the OS.... AND the met office....

chillax

• forum abuser
#3 Re: igeology ap
September 25, 2010, 05:53:01 pm
Dont get me started on the BGS.... yes its a neat app and nice to see whats neath your feet - BUT...
If you want any more info or anything more detailed it shunts you over to the BGS shop  :wank:

The BGS is funded by us (£25 - 30 million a year of tax payers money) and always has been - so all their data should be free and in the public domain.... nearly as bad as the OS.... AND the met office....

Similar situation in Ireland. I worked for the GSI for a while, and trying to get anything out of them or the OSI without paying exorbitant amounts is impossible. They even charge each other massive amounts for data! I remember being quite shocked when I got a load of data for my masters sent to me for free from the Geological survey of Canada, thinking "it wouldn't be this easy at home!"

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: igeology ap
September 25, 2010, 05:59:28 pm
Ah, its even worse, as the BGS are funded out of NERC (Natural Environment Research Council) who are the main people we try and get research funding from. Oh, and the BGS take about 25% of what NERC has to spend.... BAS bleed money from NERC too, but their research is probably more important.... grumble grumble...  ;D

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: igeology ap
September 25, 2010, 11:57:33 pm
50p a year from us isn't really that much is it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal