UKBouldering.com

font camping (Read 6405 times)

krolis

font camping
September 11, 2010, 11:11:33 am
Hello
Could anyone help/recommend with a camping place in font, i am going for the first time, also what guide book would be useful? i am thinking of getting the 7+8 .
Thanks
Maciej

dave

#1 Re: font camping
September 11, 2010, 01:20:28 pm
How long are you going for,and with how many people? Its almost always cheaper to get a gite than to camp in font.

krolis

#2 Re: font camping
September 11, 2010, 06:08:36 pm
Well, just me and my wife for 2 days, then we're off to see Mount Saint Michael on the coast, and she insist on camping:D

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#3 Re: font camping
September 11, 2010, 06:45:12 pm
Second the Gite idea. I camped the first time in Font last Easter and will say Gites aren't much more expensive and much more fun.

7+8 is good if you are operating at above 7a but a little pointless if not. Good for finding specific boulders though.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: font camping
September 11, 2010, 11:20:48 pm
There are definitely 2 person gites in and around - check out the gites de france website. Me and the ex stayed in a lovely little place near Moret-Sur-Loing a few years back.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 07:14:30 am
Don't most gites insist on a week stay?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#6 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 10:26:27 am
I can recommend a good campsite that we went to earlier this year (and are staying at in a couple weeks time):

http://www.camping-grez-fontainebleau.info/france/caravans/vacations/prices.html

Hope you have a good trip!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#7 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 12:27:28 pm
For camping, I'd second Richie's site in Grez-sur-Loing. Short walk to the Boulangerie, and easily accessible to the main road between Fontainebleau, and Nemours.

7 & 8's: a very good guide for the maps, and boulder orientations, but useless if you're going to try any 6's or below.
Off Piste Guide by Jackie GODoffe: 6, 7 & 8, so more scope, but the maps aren't quite as good. I really like it.
The Purple/Pink Fontainbleau Climbs Guide: good if you want to follow a selected circuit, which can be nice for a full day out. Especially good if you're there with someone who doesn't climb particularly hard, but wants to do lots of good problems.
Essential Fontainebleau: I've heard some people say good things about it, but never used it myself.
Jingo Wobbly Guide: don't even consider it!
The new photo topo guide: looks interesting, even if the area it covers is quite narrow. If you're there for the first time, without a tour guide, the photo topos will be the easiest to follow in terms of knowing where the line actually goes, but there's usually a local handy to explain the minutiae of the problem you're attempting, and why you're not trying it the correct way.

P.S. I'd still say go for a Gite, not forgetting of course, UKB's local Gite

P.P.S. I believe many Gites do weekend and short stays too.

Turboman

• addict
#8 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 10:03:28 pm
Whatever you do don't end up at this place http://www.les-courtilles-du-lido.fr/index.php?lang=fr

I stopped for there this summer with misses and nipper on the back of a UKB recommendation  http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,13247.0.html

What Slack-Line and Erm,Sam failed to mention was that every single heavy goods train in Western Europe is directed through the nearby railway junction, usually in the dead of night.  We hardly slept a wink.

Shame as everything else about the place was mint.

Go for a gite.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 10:59:10 pm
What Slack-Line and Erm,Sam failed to mention was that every single heavy goods train in Western Europe is directed through the nearby railway junction, usually in the dead of night.  We hardly slept a wink.

Shame as everything else about the place was mint.

:oops: Never noticed that before (hence being unable to mention it) , but then we were always sited near to the bar/entrance and not the far end of the site, plenty of trees around to absorb noise too (and with the exception of couple of nights after fracturing my foot I went to bed pissed, although actually thinking about it, I was probably pissed those nights too to numb the pain :alky:).

krolis

#10 Re: font camping
September 12, 2010, 11:31:31 pm
Thank You all, so much info, thanks again and hope the weather will be fine. Just back from sandstone (Tunbridge Wells)  where we got like 5kg of mushrooms from the forest, amazing.
Maciej

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal