Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Lost my camera bag
September 11, 2010, 10:36:35 pm
I've lost/misplaced/had stolen my camera bag wioth the vast majority of my camera stuff in it.
Its a black nikon shoulder bag that looks like this:

Its got a nikon d50 probably with a nikon 50mm f1.8 on it, a tamron 17-50 f2.8 and nikkon 70-300 and a small sanyo xacti video camera in a sony minidisc bag and a few other bits and bobs.
If anyone has seen it or know anyone thats has found some camera gear please let me know.
Thanks

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 11, 2010, 10:38:55 pm
Shit Jim, that's a total fucker.

Any idea where it may be?  Good luck getting it back though.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 11, 2010, 11:28:02 pm
Fuuuuurrrrkkkk, you must have some idea where you last had it?! Do you recon you left it at a crag? Hope it turns up.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#3 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 07:25:00 am
no idea when i last had it, could of left it at a crag. any info gratefully recieved.
thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 08:55:21 am
Bummer. hope there weren't any full memory cards. Everything else, though a pain, is replaceable.

I optimistically put a word file with my details on each of my memory cards, in case some generous soul found one that had gone astray. Unlikely though, I'll admit.

kins

#5 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 09:01:34 am
Chris - what a great idea....

How do you do that?  I've got mostly SD cards which go into a slot in my laptop... do I just go into the drive and copy and paste one in?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#6 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 09:53:17 am
yes, a good idea that, just copy and paste onto the card, easy. only a few photos not backed up and not very important.
on the plus side the f80 is getting some long overdue action.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 10:07:27 am
Aye, just copy and paste - call it it "please read" or something. Could even offer a reward of a pint or something.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 04:18:47 pm
Shit Jim that's bad news...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 07:34:32 pm
I'm not sure if its covered on the house insurance or not, but whats the sketch with lost/misplaced/maybe-stolen? do I need to report it to the police?
I've got the serial numbers of everything as I still have the original packaging.
What sort of effect will it have on house insurance if I do claim as It will probably cost over £800 to replace everything and tbh I wanted to update my D50 to something with a higher resolution

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 09:43:18 pm
I think you may need a crime number. If you phone up to report it lost they'll give you one. When I nuked my laptop a couple of years ago I claimed c.700 and it made my premium go up by £40-50... Though hard to tell as insurance seems to go up on it's own anyway

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 10:20:10 pm
wanted to update my D50 to something with a higher resolution

psyched for more noise?

You'll need a crime number, it can all be done over the phone as it was with my bike. Took less than 5 minutes. Maybe have a 'read' of your policy before you ring up, some have lots of caveats and you wouldn't want to waste your time calling before you check these and get a crime number.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#12 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 10:28:57 pm
Jim - If it's any consolation, I lost my Bose headphones (and a headtorch) somewhere in Spain when my rucksack opened by itself (on a tree or something) and claimed on my house insurance.  I had to pay an excess but the insurance company were good and paid out for an accidental loss.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 12, 2010, 10:48:05 pm
I optimistically put a word file with my details on each of my memory cards, in case some generous soul found one that had gone astray. Unlikely though, I'll admit.

[geek]If someone had gone to the effort to do that I would install OpenOffice just to read the document[/geek]

Might do similar with an ASCII README.txt

@Jim : Sucks loosing your camera, even worse when you don't know where.  Friend did exactly the same back in February, thinks he might have put it down whilst walking around the Howgills, but really can't remember, written it off as a loss now (fortunately he only had one lens out with him).

One crux you might encounter with claiming through insurance is that most insurance policies treat a camera and lenses as an individual item, even if you purchased them separately at different points in time, so if the total value of the camera, lenses, bags & accessories exceed the maximum amount for an individual item on your policy they may not pay out.  I had to ring the useless cnuts I currently insure with three times to get them listed, and each time in explaining this sales told me this wasn't the case and providing I had receipts/serial numbers it would be fine, each time I got them to speak to claims who said quite clearly that they were treated as one item supposedly because you can't use one without the other (I did ask why, if that were the case, I bothered to buy additional lenses beyond the one I had to use with the camera but they couldn't answer that, well at least not in any sensible manner!).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 13, 2010, 09:15:17 am
[geek]If someone had gone to the effort to do that I would install OpenOffice just to read the document[/geek]

Well fortunately you are in the minority, and as most geeks barely venture outdoors anyway.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#15 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 13, 2010, 09:10:43 pm
well it looks like we only have basic contents home insurance so doesn't cover personal possesion accidental lose.
Arse

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#16 Re: Lost my camera bag
September 13, 2010, 09:26:56 pm
Would some folks of questionable ethics not get all "Michael J Fox" on the insurance front. ie, up the insurance and then "lose" your stuff 6 months in the future?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal