UKBouldering.com

Peak Area meets - Next one: Weds 4th June 2014 (Read 81984 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
The next BMC Peak Area meeting is taking place next Wednesday (12th) at The Maynard, Grindleford.

Mary Bagley from the Peak District National Park Authority will be there to answer questions about Stanage and its future. Shes the newly appointed Head of Enterprise and Field Services whatever that this.   :boxing:

Also, The National Trust will be attending to talk about some new initiatives at Longshaw.  :2thumbsup:

Mountain Rescue in the Peak District will also be there.  :wave:

To end the evening Pete Whittaker will be giving a talk and slideshow on 'Recent Cutting Edge New Routes on Peak Gritstone'

205Chris

• forum hero

Interesting, I've never heard of that organisation. I can only presume it's representatives from the PDMRO, the umbrella body for the 7 peak district Mountain Rescue teams.

Are they going to present the Chairman with a "most times rescued from Masson Lees" award?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
The next BMC Peak Area meeting is taking place next Wednesday (12th) at The Maynard, Grindleford.

Mary Bagley from the Peak District National Park Authority will be there to answer questions about Stanage and its future. Shes the newly appointed Head of Enterprise and Field Services whatever that this.   :boxing:

Also, The National Trust will be attending to talk about some new initiatives at Longshaw.  :2thumbsup:

To end the evening Pete Whittaker will be giving a talk and slideshow on 'Recent Cutting Edge New Routes on Peak Gritstone'

They should sell the whole lot off, what with the grouse shooting and the ability to slap parking tickets on car's the thing would be a gold mine (+ top roping licenses as a bonus).

As for the new head of non jobbery, that's £60k of public money down the shitter.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Are they going to present the Chairman with a "most times rescued from Masson Lees" award?

:spank:

:lol:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
As for the new head of non jobbery, that's £60k of public money down the shitter.

The salary is £40,741 to £45,147

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Which with all the other costs like pensions will be not so far from 60k.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Leaving Broomhill around 6.45pm if anyone wants a lift, though purists should be aware that there is a ladder in the boot

Dolly

• forum hero
You going all the way into The Maynard Shark or just stopping in the car park after the hard bit ? :)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Lol. Could be a more entertaining debate than Paul Mitchell's Kinder hut.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
You going all the way into The Maynard Shark or just stopping in the car park after the hard bit ? :)

Is that your excuse for never showing up

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Hi folks,

The next BMC Peak Area meeting is being held on the 9th April, 7.30pm at The Maynard, Grindleford.

The agenda is on the BMC Local Areas we page and includes:
-Mina giving her thoughts on her nomination as VP for the BMC
- Niall giving an update on the BMC Peak Limestone guidebook
- Will Harris, newly appointed BMC Officer, on his thoughts and plans for a Stanage Festival
- an important access update from Henry.

After the free butties, Mina will be giving a talk on "Self Efficacy in Climbing and Mental Strategies for Success" and ......... Showing a newly released film of her climbing Unfamiliar.

See you next week, Moff
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:15:20 pm by shark, Reason: Updated date in subject header »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Last minute reminder...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Next meet Wednesday 4th June at The Winking Man Pub, Buxton Road, Upper Hulme, Staffordshire. ST13 8UH which is very near Ramshaw.

It starts a little later at 8pm to allow cragging time

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Driving over from Sheffield at 7ish if anyone wants a lift

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Agenda:

Staffordshire Wildlife Trust – update from Helen Dale on future work
4. Access updates – Henry Folkard and other access reps
5. National Council Report
6. Update from BMC Officers
7. Stanage Festival – 28th and 29th June

I daresay there'll be some time to discuss the recent bolting at Millstone too.

a dense loner

• forum hero
What will you be discussing about the bolt? I thought the consensus was no bolting? What's there to discuss?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I counted 31 in attendance which is low for a Peak Area meet reflecting the location (Winking Man near Ramshaw).

We had Staffordshire Wildlife Trust representatives namely Geoff Sim and John Roe. Staffordshire Wildlife Trust have recently taken over the Management of the Roaches estate. Geoff was seconded to set things up and John has just been appointed Warden. He's not local having relocated from Wales so has only just familiarised himself with the place. Naturally they were keen to talk about Wildlife matters - Peregrines nesting etc. John lobbed a stone over the fence about funding (we've been here before ie Mary Baggeley/Peak Park/Stanage). The nascent initiative is called "Responsible Roaches". John wanted a show of hands about who was in favour of this without giving any details. This was dexterously eviscerated by Henry Folkard (Access supremo) who pointed out that any funding schemes needed to be carefully considered and joined up with initiatives for the rest of the Peak on who pays for what and how. Andi Turner also read out a strongly worded email from Dave Bishop (Access Rep) on similar issues - if I get a copy I will post this as it raises many fundamental points. There was a general discussion and suggestions to Geoff and John on the scheme. Henry made further points that in principle some form of help towards funding from climbing is inevitable - but that as it wasn't just a Roaches problem it had to be considered as part of a wider debate which is currently ongoing at Stanage Forum within the BMC etc and the strategy isn't formed yet (or something to that effect).   

Neil then introduced Marjorie (didn't catch surname) who had been on a BMC Equity symposium. Equity is a byword (from what I understand) to giving the physically or ethnically disadvantaged an opportunity to get involved in the great outdoors. Anyone who is interested in getting involved locally in these initiatives could get in touch with Marjorie via Neil ?

Cath Flitcroft BMC Access person then spoke about some Parliamentary lobbying they were doing next week.

There was a brief discussion about the Stanage Festival on 28th and 29th June at Outside and Plantation car park. My impression was that this is a relatively low key affair.

There was then a discussion about the belay bolt in the Keystone Cave which is covered extensively elsewhere. There was a vote. I think 19 of the 31 present voted for its removal and the rest abstained.

There was then a discussion about overgrown lime crags. Intrepid individuals are advised to take suitable gardening gear but a Nationally sponsored campaign would be fraught with complication regarding access permissions etc.

No Peak Area newsletter this quarter  :(  A lack of material was cited. So if there is anything you want to write about - overgrown crags, kneebars on Hubble, the price of eggs - your soapbox awaits.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal