UKBouldering.com

Yahoo Mail / M$ Outlook synch - any tips? (Read 2670 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Yahoo Mail / M$ Outlook synch - any tips?
August 23, 2010, 09:36:05 pm
Right - I'm having a right old bit of Barney making Outlook work with my Yahoo mail.

So - first up - yes, Slackers, I am aware that are probably numerous open source alternatives that are better, but I'm sorry - I know how to use Outlook and am too stubborn to learn anything else!  ;) ;)

Basically the tiny mail window in Yahoo pisses me off, and if nothing more I'd like to be able to read the mail that I'm replying to, which isn't possible with the Yahoo UI.

Anyway, I managed to it hooked up, whereupon I had all my existing inbox mails in Outlook, but I couldn't get anything to send. So I have all my inbox mails in Outlook which won't send anything, and nothing in Yahoo Mail which will.

Looking around a bit on google it looks like my choices are upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus (which I don't really want to do), or find some kind of "bridging" software that's gonna handle the whole interface for me.

Just wondered if any of you have had any experience of this type of shit?

Cheers all.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Sounds like the outgoing email server settings are wrong:

According to this page the settings for Yahoo Mail are as follows:

# Yahoo! Mail Settings

Yahoo Mail offers standard POP3 access for receiving emails incoming through your Yahoo mailbox, by using your favorite email client software. To setup your email client for working with your Yahoo account, you need to select the POP3 protocol and use the following mail server settings:

Yahoo Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 110)

Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 25)

Alternatively this might work...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
That should work, but if you have any problems you could use a Gmail account as a middle-man, also solves the small window issue. I have given up using Hotmail as the new version is shit on a netbook screen, so now I use Gmail as a client. It pulls in any account and will sync with Outlook fine.

Paul B

• forum hero
I have given up using Hotmail as the new version is shit on a netbook screen

It is isn't it?
I've been sticking with it as I've had the same email address for years but I'm rapidly getting fed up of more and more useless menu's and options.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
sometimes you need to tick the "outgoing mail server requires authentication" box. need to with O2 mail anyway

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
It is isn't it?
I've been sticking with it as I've had the same email address for years but I'm rapidly getting fed up of more and more useless menu's and options.

Take a look at Obi Wan's suggestion - sure that it's possible to send from a gmail account but make it look like it has come from another email address. Provides the best of both worlds - same mail address you have always had and a decent web mail interface.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Cheers all - I've actually already got a gmail account (had to set one up for my HTC).

Might be a bit easier that the ypop thing, I'm gonna resume battle over the weekend - managed to decouple everything last night and get it back to "normal" so at least I could send emails out of yahoo.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
If you do start using Gmail, be aware depending on what they are using to read their mail it might say 'send from TTT@gmail.com on behalf of ttt@yahoo.co.uk' or something similar. Doesn't normally but my work Outlook showed the address like this. Have a play with it. Whatever you do don't manage to set up an infinite forwarding loop of doom like I did. I set up the Pop3 for hotmail to Gmail forgetting that I had a full forward on my Gmail to my Hotmail.  :oops:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I did as suggested when I got my new phone, set up a gmail account  and redirected my hotmail stuff to it. Seemed to work fine and has imported all my old messages in various folders but now it isn't importing new ones so it only shows stuff sent to / from hotmail up to 22nd July.
 :shrug:
So I stopped using it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Hmmm. Looks as if it'll only import new messages for thirty days doing it that way. How do you make it carry on doing it?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Hmmm. Looks as if it'll only import new messages for thirty days doing it that way. How do you make it carry on doing it?

Can you not configure Yahoo! to forward all emails to gmail?  If you then always reply from phone/gmail, then over time your contacts (who will invariably frequently hit "Reply") end up using your new gmail account to send you messages.

Could also set a footer for all emails saying "Yahoo mail obsolete please use this new address"

Only ever had to migrate from one email service to gmail once a looong time ago though, so can't offer any real insight.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I know you probably want to keep your existing email address but with all the bother of forwarding and configuring this and that would it not be a lot easier just to get a new email address?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
With a bit of fannying about, the messages now seem to have appeared. It's all over the place but I think you're right. If I had the time or inclination then I could probably get it tidied up and working properly.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Plus if it's a relatively old address it'll be something sane - my yahoo one is just my name, hence suitable for professional stuff like CV, mails to agencies etc. Don't think "tommytwotoneshero999" or whatever my gmail one is carries quite the same gravitas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal