UKBouldering.com

Periodised Training & Peaking (Read 3111 times)

KH

• addict
Periodised Training & Peaking
January 23, 2004, 05:05:01 pm
For the training geeks amongst us on UKB, there are a couple of decent threads going on on rockclimbing.com, about periodised training programs and training methods.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48499

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49303

How many of you on UKB periodise your training?  What's your timetable and what specific training do you do?

I have tended recently to follow Horst 3-2-1 plan, although I tend not to do the rest bit!

Look forward to hearing what everyone does!

Kev

P.S.  I posted something similar on CT a while ago, and unsurprisingly got the wisdom of V Diff climbers telling me to 'just go and climb'.  I know you guys will know better!

ian h

• forum abuser
#1 i am a training slacker
January 24, 2004, 05:36:29 pm
i dont periodise

i am well into the idea of training but in reality i just end up bouldering around on whatever takes my fancy.

shit at putting it all into practice

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 periodising
February 04, 2004, 01:53:15 pm
Wow, those are a couple of hardassed threads. If I hadn't been sick and at home in the daytime, I would never have read all of them.
I have started trying to do a periodised training program, but a kind of basic one. I have spent absolutely years with elbow injury and have never been able to shake it off. I have had better phases and worse phases, but I have always been limited by it sooner or later.
So my periodisation routine is based around controlling my climbing/training so I don't spend too long in any one period doing maximal bouldering, as this always fucks the elbows up. I use a longer term plan to keep me psyched on doing power endurance or just endurance. Without a plan I just get bored, train too hard, and have to take it really easy for another month.
I also use my plan to keep me from getting too carried away and trying -for instance- to cane the campus board- when really I  am not sufficiently injury free yet etc.
My plans are fairly flexible and cobbled together based on shorter term, more impromptue targets than posters on Rockclimbing.com seem to use. Eg, "I am going to Font for a couple of days end Feb so lets work towards" that. Then Cresciano in April. I am sure these short term and changing goals would not satisfy a proper training geek but so far I find my climbing getting better-first Font 7a last trip- with injury getting less.
Anyway, re proper periodisation: The number of days I can climb a week are fairly low and don't change a lot over the season. I can climb a couple of week nights(maybe) and one day a weekend, maybe two over the summer so all these plans where you climb for 6 sessions a week in the ARC phase are never going to happen.
I would be very interested in ideas about how to effectivly periodise when you can only climb the same number of days a week all the time.
I am sure lots of people have this problem, but it never seems to be addressed in the training manuals of our sport...

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3 rest
February 04, 2004, 01:59:52 pm
Oh, one more thing Kev. I just read your post again, where you stress how you are going to ditch the rest bit of the plan..
I think one of the great benefits of having a plan is allowing one to rest whilst knowing that in the long term view one is not wasting time or getting weaker. Intense training requires rest for normal mortals and avioding it can only cause pain in the long run.
Maybe I am biased, ages ago I got carried away with Mr Horsts fucking finger training, didn' t pay attention to the bio feedback and fucked my self up. again.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 KH
February 04, 2004, 02:01:27 pm
Opps. Ment to say "one more thing KH" not Kev. Like I said, I am ill so please forgive me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal