UKBouldering.com

Recommend me some antivirus software please (Read 6688 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Recommend me some antivirus software please
August 21, 2010, 11:39:33 am
I'm currently going through the pain of setting up a laptop for the kids...

It's windows, XP. 4G Ram with 1.8GHz 256KB L2 cache Sempron chip. 120GB HDD.

Nice bit of kit.. I'd like no to slow it down too much and keep it safe with minimal cost and effort.

As this is the first windows machine I've owned for 5 years I have no idea what I need these days..

recommendations gratefully received.

Ta.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Go with AVG it's free and has one of the lowest footprints (memory/resources used):

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-file-stb-afg-free

I tried about 5 different free ones recently before going back to AVG on my Netbook :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Wow!
that was quick!

cheers.. I'm on it  ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I still prefer Avira to AVG, although I run both on the Kray.  I also run SuperAntiSpyware in tandem.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Oh lordy... macophile going all dizzy  :bounce:

do I need more than one then? :(

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
I still prefer Avira to AVG, although I run both on the Kray.  I also run SuperAntiSpyware in tandem.
I had problems with Avira and XBMC, it kept scanning the processes all the time and causing massive stuttering with playback. I tried for a while to exclude processes etc but in the end thought fuck it and stuck AVG back on. Ran sweet straight out of the box :) (so to speak)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Nah - you'll be just fine with AVG on it's own :)

Paul B

• forum hero
I had problems with the Avg installer so now I'm using Avast which as been fine.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Nope, but the PC I have all 3 on has all my HD videos on so I'm a little more careful with it.  Plus it's a 3GHz quad core etc etc so having another program doesn't affect it.

I always used AVG but it missed a couple of things that Avira picked up, so I switched.  They are both pretty good to be honest.

I tried Avast but didn't like it for some reason, can't remember why.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
used to use AVG till its latest incarnation, tried avast and now use Avira.
They are all free, Avira is the best one IMHO.
You only need one

Paul B

• forum hero
Nope, but the PC I have all 3 on has all my HD videos on so I'm a little more careful with it.  Plus it's a 3GHz quad core etc etc so having another program doesn't affect it.

I thought running more than one at once can lead to problems? It certainly can where Mcaffee is concerned.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Never had any problems, but I tend to keep AVG asleep and only wake it up for occasional scans.
SuperAntiSpyware has found lots of ware that the others haven't though, and it's the only thing I found that sorted out Zlob.

McAfee is guff anyway.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
I thought running more than one at once can lead to problems? It certainly can where Mcaffee is concerned.

The problem as I understand it with running more than one instance of AV software is when AV Program A finds a virus and puts it into quarantine - AV Program B will then see the file in quarantine and flag it as a virus but will be unable to do anything with it. End result lots of messages about a virus it can not deal with and the like.

As for recommendations - Avira has been running fine on my laptop for ages and I can't see any reason to change it at the minute - does what it says on the tin etc. A* would highly recommend and all that.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Another vote for Avira here.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I generally use Avira now, it throws up one ad a day which I can live with. Used to use AVG but the latest is HUGE and uses loads of resources I found. I've got the Micro$oft one running on a Dell netbook fine but I put it on a Samsung netbook and it slowed it right down so I took it off and put on Avira.
Superantispyware is also good. There is a bigger overlap of what is a virus/malware/spyware than there used to be but is still worth using both, I don't necessarily set the super...  client running all the time.

The worse thing I had to deal with recently was a naughty fake anti-virus programme on the in-laws machine, it locked you out of CTRL-ALT-DELETE, shut down your own anti-virus and threw up very genuine looking warnings of viruses and asked you to pay for software to get rid of them.

Strictly speaking it was Malware not a virus, AVG didn't touch it. Superantispyware sorted it but only after we did a full scan in safe mode.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I run Threatfire in conjunction with Avira - they seem to play nicely together.

Also do regular runs of Spybot S&D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
A GNU/Linux install is a good antidote to viruses  :P

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

Damn - I had a bet with myself that you wouldn't show up and preach the joys of the Linux gods to the heathen masses till the thread was over eight hours old...  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
It's also an antidote to decent, essential software like Lightroom / Photoshop / Traktor / etc ;)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
It's also an antidote to decent, essential software like Lightroom / Photoshop / Traktor / etc ;)

Begone foul heathen - thou knowest not of what thou speak for the great God Linux created WINE on the 2nd day to get round such things (maybe - I have no idea).  ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful

that made me smirk... I dare not use the LOL

anyways... great beta from the forum of fourms..

I'm now on AVG, getting rid of 5 years of infections..... and I'll go for avira later.

Thanks everyone  :kiss1:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I generally use Avira now, it throws up one ad a day which I can live with. Used to use AVG but the latest is HUGE and uses loads of resources I found.

Ditto, used AVG for years and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now.

The worse thing I had to deal with recently was a naughty fake anti-virus programme on the in-laws machine, it locked you out of CTRL-ALT-DELETE, shut down your own anti-virus and threw up very genuine looking warnings of viruses and asked you to pay for software to get rid of them.

Ellie managed to install that on mine. Fucking nightmare, it called 'Security Tool', and it was only because I've got a dual-boot running I managed to get rid of it.

dave

i had that one too, i seem to remember having to delete it from the "system volume info" folder (to stop it resoring itself on reboot), which in classic microsoft style remains hidden even when you've got "show hidden files" ticked.  :wank:

Although i use avira, i did note that it didn't spot this one or prevent me getting it, even with up-to-date deffinitions.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Although i use avira, i did note that it didn't spot this one or prevent me getting it, even with up-to-date deffinitions.
Hence my point about it not being a virus, and the need to run more than just an anti-virus to catch stuff like that.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Begone foul heathen - thou knowest not of what thou speak for the great God Linux created WINE on the 2nd day to get round such things (maybe - I have no idea).  ;)

That or something like VirtualBox where you have Windows (and all "essential" software) running in a Virtual Machine and it matters not if it gets infected.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal