the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

Carn Vellan and bolts

(1/40) > >>

Andy W:
I'm sure many of you don't know, but Cornwall is still in the 'news'. Amongst all the medwards stuff, the issue of Carn Vellan keeps cropping up. I wanted to canvas some opinion away from the UKC 'people'.

I've proposed that the original bolted lines be re equipped and the mess left by the bolt choppers repaired. Nothing more nothing less. I haven't really said anything other than that their should be a debate.

background info from a year or so ago here..   http://javu.co.uk/Climbing/Articles/CornishBolts/index.shtml

Dave Westlake:
I agree Andy.  I've not visited Carn Vellan, and I'm not really that into sport climbing, but I have seen the photos of chopped bolts and they were a total disgrace.  Anything that will clear that awful mess up is welcome in my view.  From what I gathered most people in the SW (and beyond) seemed to support the notion of CV being a sport crag, although the issue of bolts being placed elsewhere seemed a bit more contentious. 

Are you proposing to do the clear-up/ rebolting yourself?

Andy W:

--- Quote from: Dave Westlake on August 05, 2010, 03:16:06 pm ---I agree Andy.  I've not visited Carn Vellan, and I'm not really that into sport climbing, but I have seen the photos of chopped bolts and they were a total disgrace.  Anything that will clear that awful mess up is welcome in my view.  From what I gathered most people in the SW (and beyond) seemed to support the notion of CV being a sport crag, although the issue of bolts being placed elsewhere seemed a bit more contentious. 

Are you proposing to do the clear-up/ rebolting yourself?

--- End quote ---

Hi Dave

I would take on the work (or find someone that could) if I felt there was enough support and after assessing the mood at the upcoming BMC meeting at Bosigran at the beginning of Oct.

cheers Andy

Three Nine:
I'd fully support CV being bolted up (both the original lines restored and open season on bolting new lines at that particular crag).

Kingy:
Times may have changed but it used to be the case during the 'bolt wars' of the 80's that only selected areas of relatively protectionless overhanging, natural limestone (e.g. Malham catwalk etc), certain quarried limestone and some slate were OK for bolting, as was agreed by the BMC at the time. This is probably why Carn Vellan has had so much controversy simply because it isn't limestone.

I would support the rebolting of the very overhanging bit of Carn Vellan if the BMC bolt policy for the area was changed with consensus from local climbers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version