UKBouldering.com

[Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a] (Read 6600 times)

Dolph

• player
[Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
July 29, 2010, 11:10:58 pm
Over the few months i have been developing with friends some bouldering below Black Tor in crowden just off the Longdendale valley. This started due to time pressures as i work in crowden at the moment so i could nip up here. But i think there are actually some good problems that have been found. Don't expect a Cinderella circuit, but do expect some slopey landings and heather top outs and some good moves. Having said that I'm really proud of climbing the Seldom Seen Kid as i think this is a great looking line with fantastic moves. Its also worth mentioning that some of the problems have only seen 1 accent and some may get easier as they clean up and get sorted out, so the grades are only rough at the moment, but aren't they all.

all the info to the stuff that's been done can be found on this blog www.redclimbing.blogspot.com. and before anyone else says anything i know i got my seasons mixed up. Spending the winter on the lime and the summer on the grit. I blame the baby!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Dolph, I swear you shit these crags out or something. You find a new crag each bloody week! Good work beast, looks swell.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Poor Jack being made a scapegoat!  :lol:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Nice effort fella, and nice topo. I fancy a play next time I'm up there, Crowden Girls is my sort of grade and looks good.

cofe

• forum hero
good effort mike. keen to get up there.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
 :agree:
Looks well plastic, hopefully get up there next week to check it out.
Any other info required, parking etc...?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Any other info required, parking etc...?

Park (think its pay & display if I remember correctly).

jonjon

• addict
#7 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
August 01, 2010, 02:59:15 pm
Went today, lots of stuff green/damp/wet after the rain. The bigger stuff looks good, Crowden Girls boulder is okay.

Dolph

• player
#8 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
August 01, 2010, 09:06:03 pm
I probably should have mentioned that black tor only gets the morning sun and because of most of the boulders are stuck in the hill side they can take a lot of water run off. Hence why i climbed a lot of this stuff in the summer.

The weasel boulders are very small and really is just a warm up area, although Playing with Fire is hard (at least for me, it may be easier if your short) and appeals for that reason alone. But the crux is still pulling up of the floor and getting to the next hold. All the other areas mentioned the problems are bigger.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#9 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
August 01, 2010, 09:44:18 pm
How long is the walk in Dolph. Thinking of an afternoon hit before work.

Dolph

• player
#10 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
August 01, 2010, 10:15:07 pm
I have the luxury of working at the jointly owned YHA and Rotherham YPS outdoor centre. So i can park there and walk up the hill. It takes about 10 mins to the Weasel boulders and a bit longer to the Wolverine side. There is a public car park right next to the turn off for crowden or you can park up the hill a little bit closer. From here i would have thought 20 mins max. Its not nearly as far as Laddow rocks!!!!

Can i just stress again not to expect a perfect layout of problems. Some of the landings are slopey, a lot of the top outs are heathery and walking about between the boulders can be a real pain in the arse. However if you go in the quest for something different there are some good problems. Try Angry love and the Looking Glass, High Edge and take a look around Wolverine.

jonjon

• addict
#11 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
August 02, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
The walk in is quite pleasant. High Edge boulders were all sopping wet on sunday so cant comment on them, very short, very strong folk might want to go and try Playing With Fire.

dan lane

• regular
#12 Re: [Peak] [Black Tor] [Various] [4-8a]
December 29, 2010, 10:44:18 pm
This is indeed a good set of boulders, but will stay wet after rain. Fully reccomended that you all go up there and try the Looking Glass at the very least.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal