UKBouldering.com

cornice climbers and walkers (Read 2486 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 01:05:27 pm
Apparently reports have been made to various bodies about the recent bolting in Cheedale. This is potentially a very sensitive issue so it would be good if we could get the various peeps who have been/ are intending to do any bolting together to discuss things (over a pint ideally) ASAP. This has nothing to do with humming and hawing over climbing ethics, purely an access issue.

Another thing parking is getting a bit crowded even on Monday evenings when I noticed that one of the cars was partially blocking the exit from the track. They would have got used to not having so many cars in recent summers at the little house off the path. If in doubt is only an extra 100 or so yards up the road to find space.

Went for a family walk down cheedale at the weekend (so not looking like a climber) and got warned by some other walkers that we would find it hard to get past the crag (the cornice) as climbers were either stood in the path and not really moving or had all there stuff in the path. There was nothing to excessive going on - it was just pretty busy - but just a heads up to be aware that many people find the walk down here quite 'challenging' and may not be in the mood to squeeze round climbers. With the increased popularity probably worth taking the effort to keep the path relatively clear, most walkers I have met down there enjoy us climbers but worth keeping it so...

T_B

• forum hero
#1 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 01:31:26 pm
I was there Sunday and was thinking about this. There'a actually a small path that runs parallel to the main one, just a few feet back, so it's not a problem around the base of Cry of Desparir etc. But people were 'camped' just below Bored of Lies (i.e. sat in the path bulling on), so it was a bit awkward to get past.

Keeping the multitude of dogs out of my butties was more of a concern to me though  ;)

Is it me, or are doggies the new clip sticks?

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#2 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 01:56:32 pm
My dog was on a lead this weekend! He is pretty handy at nicking butties.

I have a dog but no clip stick, I would be very keen to do a swap.

1 dog, excellent at - chasing children
                              - nicking climbers socks and then swallowing them
                              - nicking food of any form, usually then sick all over the car
                              - able to locate Johnny Brown from over 2 miles away

in exchange for a clip stick (to be honest you could probably offer me less than a clip stick and I would take it)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 02:02:10 pm

Doesn't dog drool make the gates sticky?

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 02:04:04 pm

Doesn't dog drool make the gates sticky?

I dunno, but you'd probably look less silly hanging off a bolt with a pooch dangling from your harness, than with a 4 foot long stick  ;)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#5 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 02:20:41 pm
Quote from: El Mocho link=topic=15429.msg268126#msg2681
I have a dog but no clip stick, I would be very keen to do a swap.
[/quote

I don't have a clip stick but I do have an 6-8ft piece of wood in the shed that I would gladly swap for your dog. Admittedly it will be useless as a clip stick but your dog doesn't seem to be a paragon of caninity TBH though if you could train him out of finding JB I suspect his other flaws would seem far less annoying.  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: cornice climbers and walkers
June 29, 2010, 03:38:10 pm
That dog is a pest. Nothing that a bit of discipline wouldn't sort though. :spank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal