UKBouldering.com

Tour de France predictions (Read 158390 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#300 Tour de France predictions
July 22, 2013, 06:59:55 pm
Was I last?

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#301 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 23, 2013, 08:32:55 am
Your lead looked unassailable Duma... I did the same, forgot to switch my sprinters in until it was too late.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#302 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 23, 2013, 09:36:54 am
Me too.

I had the last stage as my bonus stage and then missed the transfer deadline for swapping all the sprinters in by about 1 min.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#303 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 23, 2013, 07:15:37 pm
 :tease:

I shouldn't worry too much. If I'd had the choice I'm sure I would have opted for a day on the Gower over a day on some minging lancs grit ( :sick: ), which is what I got.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#304 Re: Tour de France predictions
August 23, 2013, 12:52:28 pm
Slightly  :offtopic: but

It'll be interesting to see what Asapha Powell and Tyson Gay got caught taking (if B samples are correct etc..) - A batch of them seem to have been tested positive together which indicates they may have a new/better/refined test for something...

Powell and the other sprinter both tested positive for oxilofrine according to the BBC - a stimulant that is not widely but still available in a variety of supplements.  I wonder about this - both at the same event... we'll see, but this is how hard it is for these people:

Look on here:

http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/alri-hyperdrive-4-0-60-caps?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

This supplement looks fine you might think.  Yes it has an appetite suppressant in it, but not one that's banned.

Now go to the manufacturers website, and you would see that it contains oxilofrine:

http://alrindustries.com/products/hyperdrive-3-0-hyperdrive-4-0

So... it's an easy trap to fall into.

Tyson Gay is interesting for other reasons.  He's pulled out of moscow.  Yet: he's still asked for the B-sample to be tested, and not admitted his guilt.  If he coughs to something then, then maybe he'll be worth the benefit of the doubt.  But so far he's added 2-3 months to his doping ban - for what?  He's going to contest whatever it is.

Turns out gay tested for a steriod, unlike the jamaican.  Not surprised he didn't cough.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23806237

The BBC say that he's co-operating with the authorities to grass others up.  Omerta?  Not in sprinting.  That's probably a good thing.  His let down thing is pretty weak too, unless of course he meant "was let down as they assured me I wouldn't get caught"...

tomtom

• forum hero
#305 Re: Tour de France predictions
August 23, 2013, 01:05:48 pm
I saw this today too - thanks for posting up Lund... not alot Gay could say really was there! Busted.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#306 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 03:37:29 pm

GC: I don't know what Froome is like as a bloke but as a racer he is pretty boring. What with the whole Wiggins thing and Skys generally weakened team I want Clenbutador to win. At least he knows how to take risks and race.

Froome will be on his own a lot during the mountains, can they take enough time off him before the TT? It should be more interesting than last year anyway.

Green/Sprints: (Sagan) Obviously I want Cav to do well but something weird is bound to happen on that opening stage. Since he's treating Yellow like the Worlds maybe he can do it! I hope so. Obviously Kittel will win a couple.

Stages: Fuck Garmin, they are so much weaker than last year and when they inevitably try some exciting tactics to mug a stage it will fail because Slagter will get out sprinted by Albasini/Sagan/Kristoff etc. OCE on the other hand have become I team I like because they look like they're having fun. And they have better riders.

I want someone like Jeremy Roy to win a stage, he's a nice guy, will Thomas be given a chance? I doubt it. And Nico Roche though he generally falters on the big stage. His best hope might be for a stealth top ten, if he does his job he'll get that.

FDJ are a good team actually.

Other predictions: Hausller fully inherits the Farrar plucky loser prize. Porte has a shocker and fails to do his job. Scarponi goes backwards on the first mountain stage. JVDB finishes 4th. Rodriguez does something. Someone breaks their collar bone in the neutral section.

So many names, so many stories. After all the talk I'm quite excited now its here. I won't be in Yorkshire but they ride right past my office on Monday.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

north_country_boy

• junky
#308 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 04:07:45 pm

GC: I don't know what Froome is like as a bloke but as a racer he is pretty boring. What with the whole Wiggins thing and Skys generally weakened team I want Clenbutador to win. At least he knows how to take risks and race.

Froome will be on his own a lot during the mountains, can they take enough time off him before the TT? It should be more interesting than last year anyway.

Boring? Can't remember Wiggins ever winning mountain stages like Froome did last year by blowing his rivals away on Ax 3 Domaines and Ventoux!?  He may be many things, but in racing terms he is far from 'boring'...The Dauphine mountain stage was testament to that.

Not sure he will be isolated, they have picked a strong squad of fairly explosive climbers (Porte, Lopez, Nieve) who may offer more protection in closer down attacks as I think the days of Sky setting the pace high enough to drain over teams are long gone as other teams expect those tactics now (hence the Talansky/Garmin Sharp tactics in the Dauphine.)

With so many genuine contenders for GC it should be an amazing race this year.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#309 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 04:19:37 pm
Riding others off your wheel isn't tactical nous.

Though yes, maybe boring is unfair; the Dauphine was a great race.

He has a boring face though. There just isn't anything about Froome I can root for.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#310 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 04:27:10 pm
Yes, Froome doesn't have the race craft that Bertie does.
He doesn't attack, he just ups the pace and last year that was enough to drop people.
I can't see that working so well this year, Bertie showed in the Dauphine that he was up to the task, he just couldn't come around and take the stage win.

I think Porte should be in good shape, but might have a bad day, but I'd love to see him out ride Froome.
I really hope Geraint, gets to do a bit more than just domestique, but really he shouldn't be given the chance. Especially since it would make Sky look a bit 2 faced compared to 2 years ago.

Sprinting wise, its hard to know where Kietel v Cav will go but I won't be surprised if there isn't a massive crash within 10km of Harrogate. In the past Cav has a few times screwed up the first sprint of the Tour but I'm hoping that he will be more prepared this year.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#311 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 05:01:17 pm
Are we having a fantasy league this year? I've a yellow jersey to defend  :)

north_country_boy

• junky
#312 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 05:15:38 pm
Riding others off your wheel isn't tactical nous.

Though yes, maybe boring is unfair; the Dauphine was a great race.

He has a boring face though. There just isn't anything about Froome I can root for.

Tactical nous it may not be, but he had the gas for that to be enough last year, I agree this year will be much tougher.

The Dauphine will have woken Sky and Tinkov up to the fact that if Contador and Froome only mark each other, there will be plenty of other suitors waiting in the wings...

Realistically there are probably 10-12 serious GC contenders, there were probably less than 6 last year who could challenge Froome in the form he was in then. Too close to call. Whoever comes through the first week unscathed after Yorkshire and the cobbles will consider themselves lucky, but there will no doubt be some main GC contender casualties.

I just hope teams take the initiative and throw a little caution to the wind, ala Garmin Sharp in the Dauphine.

Stubbs

#313 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 05:23:14 pm
I'm so excited. Looking forward to some (hopeful) fireworks from Garmin and OPQS early on to try and get some time for Talanksy and Kwiatowski. I really hope the winds are blowing on the coast for the stages before the cobbles, the echelons last year were great!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#314 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 02, 2014, 07:19:59 pm
Are we having a fantasy league this year? I've a yellow jersey to defend  :)

I'd be keen another fantasy league. We did the cyclingnews one last year which was ok, want to do the same again or has anyone seen a better one?

It sounds as though they've made a few changes, though the website is down at the moment which isn't a great sign...

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#315 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 08:25:08 am
In terms of GC predictions, my money's on Bertie.

Strangely I find myself supporting Froome, and I can't entirely figure out why. When he's on form his climbing is incredible, and he's no slouch at TT / anything else. So I respect him as a rider, but he still just isn't that likeable.

Looking forward to seeing the Tour in the dales this weekend, staying with girlfriends family who live a couple of miles from the route  :dance1:

iain

• forum abuser
#316 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 10:17:54 am
Strangely I find myself supporting Froome, and I can't entirely figure out why. When he's on form his climbing is incredible, and he's no slouch at TT / anything else. So I respect him as a rider, but he still just isn't that likeable.

That's summed up how I feel too.

I can't see past Contador/Froome for 1 and 2, but too close to say which way round. Then Nibali, Valverde, Talansky, Van Garderen, Costa, Peraud, Mollema and maybe F.Schleck up there.
Not sure about Kwiatkowski, he's young and has had a long season so far with mixed results recently. I'd like him to do well.

I want Cav to follow through on stage 1 but there will probably be a mass pile up and an unexpected winner. I think the points jersey could surprise, Sagan hasn't been his usual dominating self this year so the pure sprinters might get a shot.

danm

• junky
#317 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 11:20:06 am
Berties racecraft is so good that he completely forgot about Talansky in the Dauphine, lol. Exciting rider, always good to watch but I just can't get on board his fan train.

Froome dragged himself into the sport pretty much on his own, the stories about him turning up unsupported early in his career are what cycling is made of. I'll be rooting for him and the G, but not Sky as a team.

With Garmins decision to drop Millar, I've lost a lot of respect for Vaughters and his team, I figured he'd put honour and loyalty above results, but I guess not.

Other than that, of course I'll be hoping for Cav and Yates to do well, and if Sagan pulls any wheelies I'll be psyched.

north_country_boy

• junky
#318 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 12:31:40 pm
Other than that, of course I'll be hoping for Cav and Yates to do well, and if Sagan pulls any wheelies I'll be psyched.

Yates is a good shout for young riders jersey alongside Talansky and Kwiatkowski, one half of an exceptionally talented British duo.

Gutted Kennaugh didn't make the cut, he was immense at times last year, especially for someone so young.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#319 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 12:35:24 pm
Is Millar not riding the tour then? Arse, I was wild hopes for an amazing last stage victory for him.

north_country_boy

• junky
#320 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 12:44:22 pm
Is Millar not riding the tour then? Arse, I was wild hopes for an amazing last stage victory for him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28093798

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#321 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 02:53:09 pm

With Garmins decision to drop Millar, I've lost a lot of respect for Vaughters and his team, I figured he'd put honour and loyalty above results, but I guess not.

Exactly.

There is some intrigue here as Vaughters and Millar always seemed so tight, fellow crusaders and I read Millar his some financial stake in the team though don't know what.

danm

• junky
#322 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 06:48:53 pm
Millar was so pissed off to begin with that he advertised his bike as for sale on Twitter, a bit later he came back and graciously wished the team all the best on the Tour. If you ever get the chance to read his book, do.

rich d

• forum hero
#323 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 03, 2014, 08:53:23 pm
President of the tour De France God's own county. Getting quite excited now. Allez Le Yorkshire!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#324 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 04, 2014, 12:17:24 am
I tell you what, it'd be pretty cool to see Chavanel or Fabian get yellow on stage 2
I don't think you can call Froome boring, he has a proper go in the mountains, look at that stage he won in the dauphine! what a mentalist, he could have done a Wiggo style grindfest but basically just went ballistic!
real shame that Wiggo (especially) kennaugh, miller, other yates, stannard, swift aren't there
(I still can't understand the rationale of taking xabier rather than wiggo. )

frothing gently

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal