UKBouldering.com

Petrohrad (Read 4649 times)

Vergiliy

Petrohrad
June 23, 2010, 07:14:23 pm
Hi, do anyone know where in Petrohrad can we rent a house or something like this! :please:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Petrohrad
June 24, 2010, 08:20:53 am
Don't even know where Petrohard is.  A quick check suggests its St Petersberg.

You could always search yourself.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Petrohrad
June 24, 2010, 09:27:40 am
That looks brilliant  8)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#4 Re: Petrohrad
June 24, 2010, 10:51:25 am
:agree:, has anyone been? is it as good as it looks?

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#5 Re: Petrohrad
June 25, 2010, 08:49:10 pm
I went a few years back, and stayed in a dirt cheap 'pension' in Prague, so plenty of nightlife and restaurants etc  which pleased the missus....and about 30min drive to Petrohrad, as I recall.  There was a bar place near by - close to a closed down mental institute if my memory serves me right, I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51483169@N02/4733265149/#in/pool-ukbouldering

If you look between my legs (  8) ) you can see some of it is marked up 'font' style with numbers and arrows.

some of it was a bit green, but some of it is pristine, it's been seeing a lot more action recently, they've been running this comp thing, along the same lines as melloblocco, but a bit more eastern bloc.... http://www.czechclimbing.com/clanky.php?xtem=&key=8529

I didn't get round all of it when I went, and have plans to return soon.....

erm, sam

• forum hero
#6 Re: Petrohrad
June 25, 2010, 10:09:51 pm
I went for a day or so quite a few years ago and thought it was good, but didn't really get stuck in. I do remember the amazingly autumnal woods with the leaves falling in the wind. Was that useful?

Vergiliy

#7 Re: Petrohrad
June 29, 2010, 09:56:37 am
I went a few years back, and stayed in a dirt cheap 'pension' in Prague, so plenty of nightlife and restaurants etc  which pleased the missus....and about 30min drive to Petrohrad, as I recall.  There was a bar place near by - close to a closed down mental institute if my memory serves me right, I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51483169@N02/4733265149/#in/pool-ukbouldering

If you look between my legs (  8) ) you can see some of it is marked up 'font' style with numbers and arrows.

some of it was a bit green, but some of it is pristine, it's been seeing a lot more action recently, they've been running this comp thing, along the same lines as melloblocco, but a bit more eastern bloc.... http://www.czechclimbing.com/clanky.php?xtem=&key=8529

I didn't get round all of it when I went, and have plans to return soon.....

Don't you remember name of this pension and which price was?!

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#8 Re: Petrohrad
August 11, 2010, 12:53:24 am
I think it might have been this one, but it looks like it's been done up since I stayed there as it was about 15quid a night, but is now way more.

http://www.prague-accommodation.cz/pension-klara/en/uvod

JamieG

• forum hero
#9 Re: Petrohrad
May 21, 2019, 01:21:25 pm
Hoping to tap the UKB hive mind for some more up-to-date knowledge. My wife and I are at a conference in Prague at the end of July and then are going to spend a few days over at Petrohrad. I know its going to be roasting, so it will need to be mornings and evenings for climbing. I was just wondering if anyone had been recently and had some top tips.

In particular is buying the guidebook worth it or can you get enough online? And can you hire pads in the area? Also presumably a day trip to the sandstone towers isn't too difficult. Looks about 1hr+ up the road. Is their a good bouldering at the sandstone towers? Or is it pretty much all routes?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers Jamie

JamieG

• forum hero
#10 Re: Petrohrad
August 02, 2019, 10:56:11 am
Had a lovely time in the Czech Republic, but just thought I'd share a few thoughts/tips post trip in case anyone is thinking of going in the future.

Petrohad - Whilst there is some good bouldering and nice problems, I think this place has been really oversold as a Czech bouldering paradise. A lot of the problems are weird sit starts on very small boulders which are really difficult to find in the forest. Also they seem to pack in about 4 lines on a boulder, when there is really about 1 line and maybe a couple eliminates/sit-starts. Quite a few areas seems to be overgrown again and this has reclaimed a lot of the lines.

Pros - Some really nice lines. Good quality rock. Cheap beer/food/accommodation. Nice scenery. Excellent bird life.

Cons - Rock is sharp! (I split a tip on a 5, when I wasn't even pulling hard) Loads of ticks. Guidebook is really hard to use (thought the maps were pretty useless). Lots of wandering around in the forest trying to even find the areas.

Sněžník and Modřín - In the north of the country (we went for a day trip to Modrin). Massively better than Petrohad. Very nice coarse sandstone (a bit like some of the fine grained grit areas). More and better lines, better scenery, less ticks (we didn't see any), basically better in every way. Really is like a mini font, especially since there are more areas to be detailed in future guides (like Tisa) and Bahratal is just across the border in Germany and apparently very similar.

Pros - Same as Petrohad but better in every way. Seems more to do in the surrounding area too, since its more touristy anyway.

Cons - Still not super easy to find some of the problems, but definitely better than Petrohad. Saw quite a lot of wasps. Guidebook isn't super inspiring, but the problems are better than they look in the guide.

In summary go to Sněžník and Modřín and maybe go for the day to Petrohad (about 1hr 40 min) if you are curious since it is worth seeing, especially if you like ticks and hate your finger tips. :)

P.s. a french climber at Petrohad told us Bor is the east of the country is amazing sandstone bouldering. But can't really comment since we didn't go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal