UKBouldering.com

British Bouldering Champs & Bouldering World Cup come to Sheffieldshire (Read 43179 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Really, ahh and pray tell what that famous Lincoln sense of humour would entail?  Maybe you'll provide Mick Ryan with some ground breaking news that I'm a fat middle aged punter?

Maybe you'll mention that I'm not that tall, have never climbed E8 and don't use fake tanning products?

Fantastic, I'm sure there's a whole comedy routine there, you really should be on stage.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Really, ahh and pray tell what that famous Lincoln sense of humour would entail?  Maybe you'll provide Mick Ryan with some ground breaking news that I'm a fat middle aged punter?

Maybe you'll mention that I'm not that tall, have never climbed E8 and don't use fake tanning products?

Fantastic, I'm sure there's a whole comedy routine there, you really should be on stage.

Read what i said. I said  'humour' you. So why did you go off on some tangent about sense of humour? Trying to be funny doesn't work when you don't understand what has been written. Oh, and as for the fake tanning products? It is called climbing outside in the sun. You should try it sometime.

Sloper

• forum hero
It's called taking the piss sunshine, or rather me humouring you.

Maybe you can humour me about first ascents in Glendalough, I rather think I've few more witnesses than you did :-[ :-\ :wank:  oops forgot one :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
It's called taking the piss sunshine, or rather me humouring you.

Yes, of course it is. Trying to be smart made you look stupid. Whatever...

Maybe you can humour me about first ascents in Glendalough, I rather think I've few more witnesses than you did :-[ :-\ :wank:  oops forgot one :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

You probably did.

galpinos

• forum hero

Fuck me, what happened here? Surely the point that it seems to be a bit of scheduling cock up when the BBC clashes with a WC comp where the (in theory) best of British are away competing is reasonable?

I'm not saying Nige and Leah didn't win, that their wins are devalued, or anything like that just that common sense would suggest the two events weren't held on the same weekend.

(I realise there were far more reasons than common sense for the decisions made but it doesn't invalidate people opinions)

Paul B

• forum hero
Linky

Anything Else?
Don't resort to critcising people's grammar or spelling when arguing/debating - firstly it's rather scraping the insults barrel; secondly people often type to forums quickly whilst at work, etc; and lastly some people may be dyslexic.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I have to say the event was great on the weekend and it was good to cheer on 7 Brits in the semi finals. Some of them looked a bit tired or nervous (understandably) and will no doubt do better next time round.

It was a pity that we didn't get a finalist but great to see Shauna finishing 14th in her first Boulder WC event, effort!

I don't think I've ever been so psyched watching someone as I was witnessing Ondra pulling down crimps as if they were jugs  :bow:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Wish I had been there to see Ondra crushing things but had to make do with the streamed version over the internet which was over all very good and featured some rather amusing comments including a few musings on why everything wasn't at least 45 degrees overhanging as if this is the sole requirement for a decent problem. One thing that I would suggest for future on line broadcasts like this though is to display the countdown clock somewhere on the screen so that you have an idea of how long each competitor has left on a specific problem.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

The WC at Cliffhanger was brilliant and a credit to all who put the effort in to organize and run it. It was indeed amazing watching Ondra dispatch, not putting the efforts of the lesser mortals to shame.

What was amazing (to me anyway) was that I'd dragged Ms Bubba down to watch - she was transformed from somebody who had a fair disdain for bouldering (it's pointless, boring, etc, etc) to an avid fan who was ooohing, aahing, cheering and screaming on competitors towards the end :)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Mine actually looks forward to going each year after watching Nedward romp to victory two years ago.

I enjoyed sunday, mind you I always do.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Thanks for the tip about putting the clock on the webcast - Horizon said that they were going to do this, maybe they forgot or it didn't work on the multiscreens.

They are improving things every comp they do, they did Vienna & Eindhoven, eg for Sheff they did a screen split 4 ways during the quals & semis which looked pretty good.

Any other (serious) suggestions for how to improve things for next year?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:55:20 pm by GraemeA »

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Different commentator? There were quite a few times when Lu, Claire Dan, and I were pissing ourselves at what he (Ian?) was saying. It was good, and it was definitely informative for Joe Public, which was absolutely top. He was very good at explaining it all. Maybe it was just that it's a lot of talking for one person to do, so getting another one in would help. Didn't Percy do some on the Saturday? I suppose that Sat was about 3 hours longer, so it would be a bit much for one person to do.

Sloper

• forum hero
Banked seating / standing,
A bar,
Screens at the front edge of the tent left, centre and right rather than just centre above the wall.
A commentator who knows what they're talking about (as Drew says), I'd favour Johnny Dawes just for sheer comedy value.
Less of the utterly shit music, even people that liked that sort of thing thought that it was shit, but then again maybe the don't got no tayst?

As for the insults Adam, I was being rather kind, after all it's no fun picking on someone who's fundamentally unable to respond, no sport at all.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Banked seating / standing,

:agree:

Probably the first time I've agreed with Sloper.

Sloper

• forum hero
The very thin edge of a very fat wedge.

Lube up.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Banked seating - unlikely due to cost but already thought of
Bar - of course it's been looked at, what do you take me for  :alky: But you need a licence and the licence applicatin was objected to by some locals
Screens - a cost issue and of course we would love to have screens everywhere. We did have 2 x 42" screens at either end of the stage and raised them higher during the final once the problems they then obscured were finished. The screen above the stage did not work due to it's positioning and the light levels - we will probably spend the money this cost on getting more/bigger plasma screens.
Commentator - Drew does not say that Ian did not know what he is talking about. Johnny as a commentator, get real, more than 10% of those listening need to comprehend more than 70% of what is being said. You really need 2 people to keep it going all day for 2 days but the second guy I had lined up had double booked and I could not find a replacement in the time I had. As for the style, well some people love the informative (everyone on here probably has an idea whats going on) and some people just love being entertained eg Percy talking about tanning salons going out of business but it is a difficult balance.
Music - well music is always a bone of contention but I have to admit I rarely notice it even to form a real opinion as I am too involved. I leave it to others to comment. Although I did like Frankie's Welcome to the Pleasuredome at the start of the semi

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Ps The IFSC Officials reckoned that Ian's commentary was very professional & informative

Sloper

• forum hero
I appreciate the need to keep costs down but the number of spectators with a poor view was significant, a bit of scaffolding and some 8x4 would sort it if it's not available commercially which it probably is.

As for JD commentating I must have been off on one.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
As for the insults Adam, I was being rather kind, after all it's no fun picking on someone who's fundamentally unable to respond, no sport at all.

Oh don't worry Sloper, i am bored with you anyway. I have better things to do.
Lets leave this thread for what it was intended for. Sounds like the event was a great success, and i enjoyed watching it on the webcast. Well done to Graeme and all involved.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
If it could have been made out of scaff and ply then Longy would have made it in a jiffy.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Watched the final on't web also. Quality looking problems. After watching a few of these live-web rounds the only thing I would like to see improved upon for the armchair mug is the numbering of the problems. The last couple of rounds had the problem number at waist level so when the competitor started the problem it was easy to match up the "live" climber list with the problem, to identify who was doing what. Looks like at Sheff (certainly in the final) this signage was much too small to see on TV...Indeed in every WC round the signage could be improved by have the problem number ie A4 or B3 repeated every metre or so up the wall so you can still see which problem is which as the camera zoomed in. Fuck all, I know but hey, its pedant week.

Sloper

• forum hero

Lets leave this thread for what it was intended for. Sounds like the event was a great success, and i enjoyed watching it on the webcast. Well done to Graeme and all involved.

You mewling, arrogant, fuckwitted, damp wankstain.

Who the fuck do you think you are?

Bored with me are you; is that it?  A retreat that Custer would have considered infra dig.

Basically you've held out, once agian as a charlartan, as honest as Geoffrey Archer and with the credibility of Mick Ryan or Gordon Brown's economic policy and now you seek to brush it off because you're (note the use of the correct form) bored and have better things to do.

You really should be a bit more careful in future.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero

You mewling, arrogant, fuckwitted, damp wankstain.

Who the fuck do you think you are?

Bored with me are you; is that it?  A retreat that Custer would have considered infra dig.

Basically you've held out, once agian as a charlartan, as honest as Geoffrey Archer and with the credibility of Mick Ryan or Gordon Brown's economic policy and now you seek to brush it off because you're (note the use of the correct form) bored and have better things to do.

You really should be a bit more careful in future.

Are you still here?  :yawn:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Any other (serious) suggestions for how to improve things for next year?

As already mentioned the clock thing was the main issue for me (and quite a few other people on the chat thingy) but I also liked the quite possibly random pairing of Ondra with Natalija Gros for the final. Ondra enters stage left - flashes problem and leaves us with circa 3.45 of DFBWGC on a screen all on her own - if your devious mind somehow planned it to happen that way Graeme I will award you a wad point.  ;)

Hadn't really thought about the commentator thing but I agree with Drew that it would have been better with two - you have already explained that away though so carry on.

Stallioni - what are you on about? Admittedly I only watched the final so it might be a tad more complicated in the semis but even a country bumpkin like me could figure out what was going on and it was the first time I had watched a comp like this.

One last thing - I still have a valid account on UKC that you are more than welcome to if you wish to indulge in some low class trolling Sloper - just give it up on here as I have dropped into this thread after falling out of the Sheaf in what could be charitably described as a rather pissed state for the last two nights and I haven't raised a smile at any of your baiting comments.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Please Sloper, Custer and the battle of little bighorn aside, can you not also draw a line under this sorry squabble? By all means carry on via PM if you so wish, but I was kind of hoping the nonesense had subsided and that we wouldn't have to resort to heavy moderating and locked topics etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal