UKBouldering.com

John Welford? (Read 6897 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 02:25:30 pm
I was just thinking about old climbing videos (due to the mention of 80's, Birth of the Extreme on another thread) and it suddenly popped into my mind that John Welford was in Stick It - am I right?

Anyone know what he's up to  - is he still climbing these days?

A few years back I met him in, how do I say, slightly unusual circumstances...

We were staying with friends in a shonky old hotel in Morzine back in about 2004, one of these places filled with cash strapped seasonaires. Well, John had nipped over from Font, where he's been staying for a while, to do some snowboarding. He had the 'flu most of the week so we didn't really see much of him. One of the "hotel managers" families was over and I got on pretty well with his sister. One drunken night we ended up going up to the dorm. In the post coitus silence we heard someone in one of the bunks...oh....fvck...we'd forgotten John was there...   :oops:

The next night we decided to go to where she was staying, with her parents. I had to sneak in through the window, that also ended in disaster when a mug fell off a table waking up her dad. I've never got dressed and dived out a window so quick in my life....

The drive back to the airport was quit awkward, seeing as I was sitting between the brother and dad all the way to Geneva.  :-[

Anyway, anyone know what he's up to? Still climbing?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 04:15:33 pm

Anyway, anyone know what he's up to? Still climbing?

Read a bouldering report from any of the climbing mags in the last 5 years. his name invariably crops up.

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
#2 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 04:36:36 pm
I see him at the Climbing Works quite often during the day.
Obviously still strong.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 04:38:14 pm
Read a bouldering report from any of the climbing mags in the last 5 years. his name invariably crops up.

usually followed by '7b+'

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#4 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 04:58:55 pm
Chris, I never really buy mags anymore, mainly just Alpinist. Anything worht knowing is on here anyway.  :hug:

Good stuff. I'll need to get a copy of Stick It sometime. Is it worth getting the DVD, or is there anywhere to download it?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 05:05:14 pm
Chris, I never really buy mags anymore, mainly just Alpinist. Anything worht knowing is on here anyway.

I'd forgotten how cool you are. Sorry.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 05:27:30 pm
Good stuff. I'll need to get a copy of Stick It sometime. Is it worth getting the DVD, or is there anywhere to download it?

:spank:  Given that one of the makers of the film posts here (semi-)regularly you've some front suggesting ripping him off.

Slackjaw's on-line shop only has it listed as a DVD.  I've a VHS copy I'd be willing to sell (so I can put the money towrds buying the DVD).  When I ordered Hard XS I had some free postcards and stickers thrown in and possibly a copy of Slackjwas film about Paul Pritchard and three others who'd suffered debilitating injuries climbing/mountaineering climbing Kilimanjaro (although I may have paid for this, can't quite remember. Annoyingly, having just checked, I can't actually find it at present  which is a shame 'cause I really enjoyed it and thought it was very good >:( )

I'm sure you could find a torrent version to download, but given the niche market for climbing/bouldering films and the amount of effort required to make them I don't have a problem with paying for them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:32:33 pm by slack---line »

Plattsy

• forum hero
#7 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 05:38:42 pm
Maybe Fultonius was asking for a legitimate download site?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 05:51:32 pm
Yes, perhaps a bit presumptuous of me (I'm a little cranky today after only getting 2.5hrs sleep last night and lots of stress).

I had however thought of that which is why I checked Slackjaw to see if they offered it as such.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#9 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 07:28:53 pm
Maybe Fultonius was asking for a legitimate download site?

:agree:

I'll just get the DVD. I have no problem supporting these type of things - just bought Rock Athlete, Revelations, Beyond the Mountain and a UKB T-Shirt from Vertibrate. I don't even have a torrent client FFS!

Chris, I never really buy mags anymore, mainly just Alpinist. Anything worht knowing is on here anyway.

I'd forgotten how cool you are. Sorry.

If not buying shitty climbing rags makes me cool, then yes, I'm cool as fvck  8)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 08:11:48 pm
- just bought Rock Athlete, Revelations, Beyond the Mountain and a UKB T-Shirt from Vertibrate. I don't even have a torrent client FFS!

:thumbsup:

BTW are you the 13th Duke of Wymbourne? ...there I was..in a French hotel..in the dorm...drunk as skunk..with the hotel managers sister..with my reputation?..what were they thinking?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#11 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 09:35:01 pm

BTW are you the 13th Duke of Wymbourne? ...there I was..in a French hotel..in the dorm...drunk as skunk..with the hotel managers sister..with my reputation?..what were they thinking?

:lol:

No, I'm the 12th...  ;)   

This hotel was a real ramshackle affair, doors wouldn't shut as the door frames were about 15 degrees off vertical the bunkbeds were on the verge of toppling over, holes in the walls, taps that barely worked and rattled the whole place when you turned them off. You get the idea...

Anyway, it was a great bunch of folk there, good times.  :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#12 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 10:23:51 pm
- just bought Rock Athlete, Revelations, Beyond the Mountain and a UKB T-Shirt from Vertibrate. I don't even have a torrent client FFS!

:thumbsup:

LOL!!! a lot... very drole.. (sp)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#13 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 10:41:49 pm

:lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: John Welford?
May 28, 2010, 11:05:40 pm
I don't even have a torrent client FFS!

Get with the times, you've missed out on L'Etranger  :hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal