UKBouldering.com

Have your say on UKC. (Read 36368 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#50 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 12:38:53 am
I thought that was your own fault to be honest. Lots of people on ukc do genuinely not seem to be able to understand trad grades (somehow), and unless you can be bothered to look through someone's old posts/profile it isn't always obvious what's a throwaway comment and what's someone being a retard. Plus, given it's on Welsh Connections not looking like death on a stick, I can understand why someone responded how they did.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#51 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 09:00:20 am
See, if someone had written something along the lines of what you've said (i.e. it's on welsh connections and doesn't look too dangerous) I wouldn't have gone off on such a rant, it was just that within 4 posts I'd been told twice that "I know nothing about trad grades".  :-\

I hadn't even said anything inflammatory! It's not like I said "How can it be E10 6c? I think he's over/under graded it."

I was genuinely impressed by Tim's ascent and quickly left a post without even the hint of a thought that I might get flamed!  :shrug:

Lesson learned: Ignore UKC again. :yawn:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#52 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 09:09:44 am

Lesson learned: Ignore UKC again. :yawn: Don't let myself get wound up by people on t'internet

;)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#53 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 10:16:47 am
Obviously this is a contrarian opinion to hold on UKB, but I use UKC little and often, I find it to regularly have decent interesting news and articles (mostly Jack Geldard's contributions).
I think the logbook thing puts 8a.nu to shame, being a simple log of ascents and useful info without all the pernicious scores and rankings. Yes I realise the logbooks are an ingenious way for UKC/Rockfax to get the climbing public to write their guidebooks for them, but you can’t knock a commercial organisation for producing a mutually beneficial tool.
The forum is what it is and can hardly be expected to be different. It’s a large and varied cross section of the climbing/general outdoorsy populace. Hence the quality of topics and discussions varies from the good to the terrible and many discussions will have significant contributions from idiots. It doesn’t and can’t have the same sort of small community vibe as UKB, it is an entirely different beast. It’s far too big to effectively self police and speak with (roughly) one voice in the way UKB does. As well as a sea of idiots UKC also has insightful intelligent contributors (often of the old wise variety), who for one reason or another prefer to use UKC rather than UKB. Heretical as this may sound, for certain topics you’re more likely to get a good thread on UKC than here.
Where I do fully agree with everyone else is on their draconian moderating policy. I too have had posts deleted without notification or explanation. The posts may have been on contentious issues, but I had gone to great pains to make sure what I wrote was neither defamatory nor insulting in any way. It is impossible to have a proper debate when pertinent questions are considered taboo and instantly deleted.
Generally speaking, if UKC wasn’t there, someone else would have started something else which would be almost the same. It is mostly a reflection of the general climbing public with all the good and bad which that engenders. I think too much tribal rivalry between here and there exists on both sides and our insults no doubt sound as bitter and blinkered as Chris Craggs’ much quoted tirade about UKB.
So there.

Edit: Wrote before Thesiger's post hence repeat of similar point

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#54 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 12:06:30 pm
Well said that man.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#55 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 12:23:10 pm
I mainly use UKC for the logbook too, which I agree is excellent. I was bored yesterday so did battle the the 8a.unuserfriendly logbook and uploaded last years climbs for a laugh. The UKC one is vastly superior.

I used to post a lot on UKC, got in on all the grading/athics/[insert any other nonsese] arguments and probably risked getting sacked form work for spending too much time on the net ::)

I know I can be a bit of a cock at times (at least on here people just say "oi, stop being a cock" rather than slagging you off etc. etc.) and I often got a bit too riled up, so decided there's more to life and pretty much stopped using it.

These days I just have a flick through the news/article/top10 photos etc. and maybe post the odd bit of (hopefully) usefull info if people ask.

I think that recently the "NewsFlashes" have gone downhill. With their incessant  to always be the first with the headlines, they often make mistakes, or post news that isn't much more than heresay. When the news comes out properly they often have to change the content of the original newsflash. If they concentrated on quality, in depth content I'd probably get drawn in more often.

I guess I was just having a bit of a toys-out-the pram moment the other day.  :oops: The frustration of being layed-up...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#56 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 04:38:30 pm
"So most discussions are clogged up with idiocy. I don't see any solution to that nor would imagine that UKC's management really care much. " 

I think some of them care and I think there have been useful suggestions made, in person, on their threads and even here.  The most important to me would be less tolerence to clear idiocy on info forums in the same way they have stricter guidelines on their host 'UKC forum'  threads.  As for advertising revenue this could even increase useage as some useful contributers driven away by the volume of crap might come back (attracting more views) and the children can still play elsewehere in less strict areas. As for over heavy moderation I dont feel great whan it happens to me and I do think they go too far at times but on the other hand I do wonder how many people had stuff deleted and really didnt know why ... they usually are sticking to their rules.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#57 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 05:35:10 pm
I've no beef with the site generally, but the moderation is excessive. Deleting external links annoys me. Someone asks a question that has a whole, sensible thread answering it on here, and you're not allowed to point them at it.

I don't like the whole Web 1.1 forum software either. Its 2010 ffs.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#58 Re: Have your say on UKC.
June 08, 2010, 05:55:41 pm
Wise words from beegoose there.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#59 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:00:14 pm
Do you think this password change will get through?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/climberrick/5057054272/#

ps slackers, the flickr backlinking guide doesn't seem to work...

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#60 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:05:58 pm
As much as I despair at the way UKC is going, and the way Mick (sadly with Alan's support it seems) has seen fit to try and sabotage things with UKB's advertisers, I don't think antagonising UKC in this way is going to help Simon and Toby.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#61 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:09:38 pm
Seems to work for me.
UKC Forums - User Options by rickginns, on Flickr

ps slackers, the flickr backlinking guide doesn't seem to work...

The guide doesn't do the back-linking  so it can't possibly "not work", its user error in this instance.  If you want alternative instructions on how to embed pictures hosted on Flickr into forums then search the Flickr help pages.

Its really quite simple though, you click on the "Share this" button above a picture, then "Grab HTML/BBcode", as this is a forum using BBcode you want that, then select your size and copy the code.

What you've done is copy the URL of the page on which the picture is being displayed.

:agree: with Serpico.  Its also rather petty (and pedantically you requested to change your username and not your password  ;) ).

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#62 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:18:27 pm
Then maybe they should have an option to be able to delete your profile then? :shrug:

I agree somewhat though which is why I didn't start a new topic. Not to worry, it'll probably go to fester in the logpile shortly..

Petty? probably, but I've not got a monopoly on pettiness Slackers.
Toby and Simon, delete my post if it causes aggro  :spank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#63 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:29:01 pm
Then maybe they should have an option to be able to delete your profile then? :shrug:

Likely done on purpose so that potential advertisers can see how many "registered users" there are.

I agree somewhat though which is why I didn't start a new topic. Not to worry, it'll probably go to fester in the logpile shortly..

This thread is already in the logpile.

Easy tiger, no need to get your knickers in a twist 'cause you cocked up posting a picture (I did it the other day myself copying the HTML code instead of BBcode).  Besides I'm pedantic, not petty  :-*  :hug:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#64 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:35:31 pm

Easy tiger, no need to get your knickers in a twist 'cause you cocked up posting a picture (I did it the other day myself copying the HTML code instead of BBcode).  Besides I'm pedantic, not petty  :-*  :hug:

Hold up old bean, I wasn't saying YOU were petty, catch my drift? pedantry is to be celebrated...  :thumbsup:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#65 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:46:19 pm

Hold up old bean, I wasn't saying YOU were petty, catch my drift? pedantry is to be celebrated...  :thumbsup:

Looks like we need a tutorial on quotation as well as

photo hot

linking

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#66 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:51:21 pm
It's not worth posting anything on there anyway. It either gets deleted by Mick or you get some 17 yr old hill walker telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. Or both.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:01:12 pm by Jaspersharpe »

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#67 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:53:09 pm

Looks like we need a tutorial on quotation as well as
[/quote]

[/quote]

:-*

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#68 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 01:54:13 pm
specially useful knowledge'y stuff whose rightful home is on UKB.

I echo Jasper on this.  I used to answer injury/medical stuff, but then you'd be told you know nothing.  Same with bouldering info.  So I gave it up as a bad job.  I'd delete my profile if it didn't involve e-mailing them  I just smile evrytime I get an e-mail saying I haven't used the account for 6 months, would I like a password reminder.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#69 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 02:10:22 pm
HowTo use Quotes

Been there since February 2009 courtesy of Bubba.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#70 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 02:12:50 pm
HowTo use Quotes

Been there since February 2009 courtesy of Bubba.

Thanks very much Slackers, very useful

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#71 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 06, 2010, 02:39:48 pm

On that topic, Shark is keen to point out that we are not officially advocating people deregistering from UKC.

I emailed Alan yesterday to remove my profile, I wasn't going to say anything but I didn't want anyone to read the above and think it was at your suggestion.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#72 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 07, 2010, 02:46:26 pm
Just for the record the name change didn't work...

explanation: "This may be because it is rude, abusive, or simply because it is too similar to an existing user on the site." :yawn:

time to lock this thread?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#73 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 07, 2010, 04:54:12 pm
Definitely most abusive.

This has all reminded me of when M**k posted on UKC under his UKC log in and called Bbba names.  I filled on a complaint form, and the comment disappeared.  I then got an e mail from UKC ( you can guess who) basically laughing at the complaint and inviting me down the works to "sort it out".  This was one of many "amusing" discussions I've had with M*** as many will remember.

Pasty, why don't you just use a soliloquy on your user profile instead?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:25:10 pm by GCW »

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#74 Re: Have your say on UKC.
October 07, 2010, 05:28:19 pm
Tie most abusive.
This has all reminded me of when M**k posted on UKC under his UKC log in and called Bbba names.  I filled on a complaint form, and the comment disappeared.  I then got an e mail from UKC ( you can guess who) basically laughing at the complaint and inviting me down the works to "sort it out".  This was one of many "amusing" discussions I've had with M*** as many will remember.
Pasty, why don't you just use a soliloquy on your user profile instead?

Bit late, I told A**n to delete my profile which has now happened. I could create a new devicive one, but can't be arsed...
You should have sorted him out at the works, you could have heelhooked him in the face... :wank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal