UKBouldering.com

The state of Font in 2010 (split from: cardiff climbing club vandalism in FONT) (Read 22227 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
There already is one:

Quote from: Sharpe's Concise Dictionary of Swearing
cuntishness (kUnt'ish-ness)
n.
          1. The characteristic of being cuntish. Behaviour attributable to a cunt or bunch of cunts.

"Did you see that fucker bicycling his sandy feet all over those smears?" "Yes. I've never seen quite such a blatant display of cuntishness."

csurfleet

• menacing presence

i.munro

• junky
Liking your work as ever Mr sharpe     :thumbsup:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Visited Cuvier a week or so back. Absolutely shocking! I couldn’t believe how much more litter was there since previous visit a couple of years back. Looks like the place is being used as a municipal tip for Fontainbleau town.
With the location and dodgy goings on it’s obvious that not all the litter is of climber origin, but just as obviously a lot is. Picking up some litter as you go round is a good idea, but feels like a woeful drop in the ocean. Don’t the French have an equivalent to the BMC who can help mobilise regular crag cleanups? Obviously Cosiroc limit their stewardship to keeping the arrows well painted.

northerngreg

• player
  • slayer
Visited Cuvier a week or so back. Absolutely shocking!

I don't even bother with Cuvier these days, it is trashed. I was in Font last week and was shocked at how Isatis seems to be getting more like Cuvier. Having been to Font for 7 years running, I now go to the small quiet areas. Last week we often had the crags to ourselves. The rock is pristine, the scenery unspoilt and more importantly there isn't the really annoying noise of some local Bleausard twatting hell out of the rock with a shitty bit of pof stained rag. Just get yer wee brush out and give it a scrub FFS!

Paul B

• forum hero
and yet if you walk a few minutes up to the Rempart its a completely different world.

tc

• junky
Leaving aside the isssue of ridiculous tick marks and general poor behaviour for a moment, I really would be interested to know how many of us - HONESTLY - take the time and trouble to brush our chalk off the problems before we move on and leave at the end of the session with a plastic bag of other people's detritus. I ask this because I see very little evidence of it when I'm out bouldering. And before you ask, yes, I do. Usually, but not always. I bagged up a whole pile of rubbish from Sabots car park last week and generally try to keep a close eye on my back garden (Carrock Fell) but my saintly acts usually depend on how lazy I'm feeling, which I guess makes me just as guilty as everyone else sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:37:10 pm by tc »

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
 :agree:

I'm no saint, never will be, but my enthusiam for carrying out other people's rubbish does depend on how jiggered I am. I always carry my own rubbish home. If you're careful and just use enough chalk to dry the sweat you actually leave very little trace. But I brush it off anyway.

seankenny

• forum hero
I really would be interested to know how many of us - HONESTLY - take the time and trouble to brush our chalk off the problems before we move on and leave at the end of the session with a plastic bag of other people's detritus. I ask this because I see very little evidence of it when I'm out bouldering... my saintly acts usually depend on how lazy I'm feeling, which I guess makes me just as guilty as everyone else sometimes.

Well it's better to do it half the time than never at all. I try to bag up other people's bits of shit - the tape and cans and bits of plastic which disfugure our crags so much these days - and usually find most of my fellow climbers studiously ignore my efforts. After a while, I feel like a bit of a cunt if I ask them to join in. Do we need to be more forceful about this?

tomtom

• forum hero
I really would be interested to know how many of us - HONESTLY - take the time and trouble to brush our chalk off the problems before we move on and leave at the end of the session with a plastic bag of other people's detritus. I ask this because I see very little evidence of it when I'm out bouldering... my saintly acts usually depend on how lazy I'm feeling, which I guess makes me just as guilty as everyone else sometimes.

Well it's better to do it half the time than never at all. I try to bag up other people's bits of shit - the tape and cans and bits of plastic which disfugure our crags so much these days - and usually find most of my fellow climbers studiously ignore my efforts. After a while, I feel like a bit of a cunt if I ask them to join in. Do we need to be more forceful about this?

Someone once said to me that 'leaving litter you've seen at a site is just as bad as putting it there yourself'. Of course its not as bad (as in you're not as much of a dickwad as the person who left it) but shirley the end result is just the same....? Which was their point I guess.. I'll pick up bits and bobs from time to time (e.g. a empty 4 pack of stella from Wimberry on sat) but am not fastidious about it... maybe leading by example is the way to go....

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Have just come back froma family holiday to Font. I'm less concerened with chalk, tick marks  & litter and more so with the industrial quantity of Jonnies to be found at Cuvier. It really is filthy and I suspect  there are more here than in the Durex factory. For a family, no make that big tourist area this is totally outrageous. Clearly the police / council turn a blind eye but you would  think they could create some legal dogging area out of the way for those who feel the need to get their rocks off in the open air. I'd be interested in what views they have on this. They've clearly invested in upgrading the roads to the crag (much needed) and even Roches de Cuvier is sign posted from all manner of diretions, maybe it should read "hookers and man sex" this way? I could have sworn that the Jonnie packet at the back of Le Balance was there 2 years ag on on my last trip.

tc

• junky
Thought I'd resurrect this old post of mine from a couple of years ago for general amusement. Apologies to those who read it first time round.

Many years ago (...lights pipe, fetches slippers, tartan rug and Andrew's Liver Salts...) I arrived at the Hallowed Ground of Minus Ten Wall at Stoney Middleton. The mess was incredible: finger tape, chalk block wrappers, fag ends, empty drinks cans, chocolate wrappers and -- the piece de resistance --a medium sized human turd gaily decorated with a strip of colourful toilet paper. Unfortunately for the miscreant, there was also the plastic wrapper and address label that used to come with your subscription copy of a well-known climbing comic. "Revenge will be mine!" I thought, as I carefully scooped all the offending detritus into a plastic bag ( I used to carry a litter bag with me when I went to Stoney in those days) before posting it back to the originator with a pithy little note that read "Don't shit in my back yard!".

Stef

• player
Iti s rather interesting to read that some of you guys haven't been here for the past few years, and hav then now realised that there is a huge change in the forest, especially regarding on how it is clean.

As going regularly, it is less obvious to realise that, a bit like you don't see much of the changes of your own child as you see him everyday.

At easter, there has been a special program, organised by the National Forest Office (ONF in french), the COSIROC and just some local climbers. That program was mainly aimed on "clean shoes" to help the fast growing erosion of the boulders holds, but was a good start of gathering different associations for some actions for the forest safe.
I hope this is going to be the beginning for poeple to realise that the forest isn't a gym with a house keeper that cleans the floor and throw away the garbage bags every evening.

Actu

Stef

• player
As this firest is so big, so spread out, and probably the biggest climbing venue in the world, in terms of climbs and number of climbers all year round, it is only very hard to set up some combined actions.

And erosion and clean are totally linked.

Picking up 1 plastic top, cigarette butt or any garbage from the forest each time you go there is surely a good and efficient thing to do.

Organisong more "cleaning days" too, as there are some for years, but it seems that the forest is kinda victim of its success.
More and more groups of young climbers, that are used to go indoors are arriving here every week.
Mind you all, my business can't complain for that, but it might affect it within less than 10 years when major areas will be closed because of erosion danger (cf Dame Jouanne or Calvaire), that every hold wil be polished, and that the floor is so dirty that there will be no more sitten start without sitting in the sh...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal