UKBouldering.com

Triceps Tendonitis (Read 3124 times)

Burns

Triceps Tendonitis
May 03, 2010, 01:15:16 pm
First post- just looking for experiences relating to this.

I've got triceps tendinitis according to my GP. I'm looking to get an appointment with a private physio, but in the meantime, I thought I would see how common the injury is on UKB. I understand what the triceps do- straighten the arm- and It's most likely an overuse injury from climbing (pressing out, locking off) but I also wonder if swimming may also contribute? I've increased the volume of swimming I do because I've had patellofemoral pain issues (results from mri and consultation next week) preventing me from running. 

It's a nice day outside, and I'm sat here with ice tucked under my arm and Ibuprofen for lunch.

How long to rest? How do I know it's safe to climb? What moves should I avoid and are there technique related issues or weaknesses I should watch out for?

Ta.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Triceps Tendonitis
May 03, 2010, 03:45:41 pm
I would hazard a guess that your GP is wrong. GPs (obviously) are highly knowledgable and do a very difficult job well, but diagnosing musculo-skeletal problems is not their field. I'd wait and see the physio. Otherwise have a look at the antagonistics basics thread, or look up shoulder instability on the search on here and see if any of it sounds relevant.

Burns

#2 Re: Triceps Tendonitis
May 03, 2010, 05:48:07 pm
Cheers for the reply.

I read your reply in the antagonists thread.  Am I right in thinking, you think this is referred pain? Thing is, if I press the tendon, it hurts. Or, have I got the wrong end of the stick and I have triceps tendonitis because the triceps are trying to stabilise the shoulder?

Excuse the "lay" questions. It's a complex thing I'm just trying to get my head around.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Triceps Tendonitis
May 04, 2010, 09:42:33 am
I tend to agree with sausage.  Triceps tendonitis (-osis) would be unusual in a climber, though I guess not impossible.  Deep locks and swimming would aggrivate a triceps problem but they would aggrivate other types of elbow problem.  Tender spots are a pretty unreliable diagnostically. 

If it is any kind of tendonosis, an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen is unlikely to help: there is minimal inflammation.

Hard to advise at this stage; let us know what the physio. thinks.

(sausage, have PMed you.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal