• forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 10:24:05 am
according to NHS website this can be done

Direct referral

Direct referral, also known as self-referral, is becoming more widely practiced and has proven particularly popular for people with chronic (long-term) conditions who know what type of treatment they require.

If you have a long-term condition and you have received physiotherapy in the past as part of your treatment programme, you may decide to contact a physiotherapist directly without being referred by your GP.

Self-referral has several benefits including:

* saving time - both for GPs and patients,
    * reducing waiting times for patients,
    * improved levels of attendance at appointments, and
    * empowering patients to self-manage their condition.
Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to do it.
Comments

1 Comments about ‘Accessing physiotherapy’

Our rules:
Jamesowers said on 27 March 2010

You haven't said given a link to where I can find my nearest physio or HOW i can directly refer myself...
I've rung them up but have to wait upto 10 hours for them to ring me back,
does anyone know how to self-refer?

Where is my rocket pack!!!!!!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 10:40:29 am
Usually this is for people already seen within a service, referring themselves back to it.  I'm not sure you can do it with first time referrals as you'll need assessing by someone initially to ensure you will benefit.

However, different trusts run things differently, some places there's a physio number to phone and it gets sorted that way.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 10:45:29 am
It's in the Manchester Operating plan for 2009/10 (section 4.3) but it doesn't say much more.

In 2009/10 we will:-

   Use the models currently operating in South and Central Manchester to develop a specification for a new service to be introduced in North Manchester and enhance those already in place in South and Central.

   Pilot self referral to physiotherapy so that patients can be empowered to refer themselves if their condition worsens rather than having to book via a GP.

Info booklet for the Leeds service

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 12:40:51 pm
well they rung back and siad I need to go through the GP to start with, earliest appointment next wednesday  :thumbsdown:

dave

#4 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 01:19:54 pm
Scouse is a doctor, he'll sort you out.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 02:30:58 pm
I've self referred twice to see a physio, once after an appointment with my doctor (where he told me to use the service and gave me a leaflet with numbers on) and once totally off my own back (for something totally different that I have never seen a Dr about) and both times I've got an appointment, the first time within a week, the second after about 3. 

It seems to work really well up here and I have been telling everyone to do it which may explain why there are longer waiting times now.  :)

The second time I just Googled for the number and it came up, but it might be set up differently down south.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: NHS self-referral
April 28, 2010, 02:49:59 pm
according to NHS website this can be done

Direct referral, also known as self-referral,  is becoming more widely practiced...

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to do it.

Unfortunately is not yet occurring widely.  It depends on how go-ahead the local trust is and how keen the local physio. department is feeling ("postcode lottery" they all shout).  If they don't tell you how to do it, it probably means they don't at present.  Can you wait another 5 years?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal