UKBouldering.com

Ondrawad (Read 856455 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#950 Re: Ondrawad
January 30, 2013, 07:16:02 am
No doubt there is, but from the clips I've seen its likely very friendly and twisting it into a race is just sensationalism, unnecessary and detracts (slightly) from the reporting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#951 Re: Ondrawad
January 30, 2013, 08:01:52 am
Crap reporting from 8a.nu. Shock horror!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#952 Re: Ondrawad
January 30, 2013, 02:47:02 pm
That idiot that Jens Larssen is, is already talking about "the race"... Reminds me about the Troll Wall false titles from local and British press.
Utter bull***t as usual. Completely unnecessary.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#953 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 02:06:16 pm
Ondra on the lower section of La Dura Dura...

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#954 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 02:27:17 pm
Awesome photo! It looks absolutely nails!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#955 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:11:14 pm
Is it only I who fail to see how "climbers attempting to get up a route" is of general interest?

(I have a hard time understanding the general interest around the Dawn Wall project as well)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#956 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:18:58 pm
Is it only I who fail to see how "climbers attempting to get up a route" is of general interest?

(I have a hard time understanding the general interest around the Dawn Wall project as well)

Probably because when they eventually get climbed they will be some of the hardest climbs in the world?

I also like the reports because it shows the amount of effort that goes into climbing something of that calibre.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#957 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:26:28 pm
Life must be very dull for you...

Two guys pushing the sport harder than ever done before, in a challenge of young upstart over ultrawad stalwart of the scene?

That really does nothing for you? :shrug:

Its like the hype up before any big fixture in any other sport, both are looking round the course, commenting on interesting features that could play to their advantages, talking about tactics, about how they need to train for a certain move.
4 trips now this 'Dura Dura' has held off what is unquestionably the two strongest climbers of this generation and the next. :bounce:

I dont understand how you can possibly not be interested in this if you claim to have any interest in climbing...

Even if these things arent happening to me, it is enjoyable to live through them vicariously.

Stop being a party pooper.  :spank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#958 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:36:36 pm
Its like the hype up before any big fixture in any other sport, both are looking round the course, commenting on interesting features that could play to their advantages, talking about tactics, about how they need to train for a certain move.

And that sort of stuff is precisely what turns a lot of people off of those sports and perhaps towards climbing.  There is a lot of bullshit talked around a lot of sports, e.g. football, title matches in boxing.  What does it serve purpose for?  To increase interest and get people to pay to watch it.

4 trips now this 'Dura Dura' has held off what is unquestionably the two strongest climbers of this generation and the next. :bounce:

Nonce Sense, you've no idea what the next generation will bring.  Plus I'd imagine Sharma, who lives out in Spain and bolted the line, has spent more than 4 trips on it.

I dont understand how you can possibly not be interested in this if you claim to have any interest in climbing...

Even if these things arent happening to me, it is enjoyable to live through them vicariously.

Stop being a party pooper.  :spank:

Some people climb for themselves rather than vicariously and have no interest in what others are up to.

Its not shitting on your party to ask a question.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#959 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:42:00 pm
I was about to reply, but slackline already replied for me. Thank you sir!

I am sure I will be well interested and duly impressed if someone climbs La Dura Dura and it turn out to be hard.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#960 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 04:44:01 pm
Surely most climbers are interested in the process, not just the resulting name and grade?

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#961 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 05:09:21 pm
And that sort of stuff is precisely what turns a lot of people off of those sports and perhaps towards climbing.  There is a lot of bullshit talked around a lot of sports, e.g. football, title matches in boxing.  What does it serve purpose for?  To increase interest and get people to pay to watch it.

I guess...Still, I think it is a bit of an oversight to deliberately ignore what will be a likely topic of conversation when it happens.

Nonce Sense, you've no idea what the next generation will bring.  Plus I'd imagine Sharma, who lives out in Spain and bolted the line, has spent more than 4 trips on it.

Ondra is 19 years old, and at present is continuing to improve. While I agree that other younglings are tearing up the rule books on what was perceived to be possible in the non too distant past, I dont think it is remotely unreasonable to suggest that he (provided he doesnt give up/burnout) will continue to be one of the sports strongest climbers for many years to come.

Your point about Sharma living so close to the project only serves to intensify the point I was making?

Fairly irrelevant to the point in hand.

Some people climb for themselves rather than vicariously and have no interest in what others are up to.

Its not shitting on your party to ask a question.

Maybe not to ask the question alone but it tends to come with a subtext most of the time.

I know enough people that turn up in groups and try to give the appearance of individuality or superiority by suggesting they are above the base pursuits of others that find these stories to be of interest.

Im sure you have met a 'hipster' at some point who doesnt like 'xyz' band because they are not obscure enough (despite whatever their vocalised reasoning is)

I am suggesting that if jwi is going to the pub with some mates, I would consider him a bit of a dick -Nay! a 'party pooper'- if he tried to pull that sort of attitude while everyone is talking about how in awe they are.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#962 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 05:32:23 pm
Ondra is 19 years old, and at present is continuing to improve. While I agree that other younglings are tearing up the rule books on what was perceived to be possible in the non too distant past, I dont think it is remotely unreasonable to suggest that he (provided he doesnt give up/burnout) will continue to be one of the sports strongest climbers for many years to come.

And my point was that you don't have a crystal ball so its pointless conjecture about the future.

Cliff Burton was an amazing bass player....until the tour bus he was travelling in crashed throwing him out the window and crushing him when it toppled onto him.

Being something of a pedant I hate it when things are qualified as being biggest/hardest/fastest.....EVER when it should be "...so far".

I am suggesting that if jwi is going to the pub with some mates, I would consider him a bit of a dick -Nay! a 'party pooper'- if he tried to pull that sort of attitude while everyone is talking about how in awe they are.

When I go climbing with mates the pretext is that we enjoy ourselves for the day/evening, what  world class wads have been upto is irrelevant and never gets mentioned.  Generally too engrossed in the task at hand.  Chat at the crag or in the pub is far more likely to involve what we've been upto since the last time we met, climbing just done, where/when to go next or things other than climbing ( :o I know shocking isn't it) rather than wads on the other side of the world and what they're upto which whilst it might be pushing world standards has little bearing on our lives.

Horses for courses, but you shouldn't expect others to get excited about the things that excite you.

I don't think jwi has any subtext.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:45:26 pm by slackline »

abarro81

• forum hero
#963 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 05:40:27 pm
Surely most climbers are interested in the process, not just the resulting name and grade?
+1

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#964 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 09:24:58 pm
 :agree: definitely.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#965 Re: Ondrawad
January 31, 2013, 11:35:24 pm

...totally, it's the foreplay. All this talk of the challenge and difficulty is getting me proper hard. I keep coming back here each day to see if there's any progress and get a bit more info here, a cupping of the balls there and then one day soon 'bang' the pent up excitement will erupt in a fountain of joy as one of the two worthy contenders succeeds on what could be the hardest climb in the world.

andy popp

• forum hero
#966 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 06:17:49 am

ianv

• forum abuser
#967 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 08:51:27 am
That looks amazing.

Picture1 by ianvincent, on Flickr

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#968 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 08:52:34 am
My word.  :o

Pitcairn

• player
#969 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 09:00:06 am
looks brilliant. compare how hard he is trying on that with how easy it looked when he onsighted 8c+ in RRG...

standard

• obsessive maniac
#970 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 09:03:38 am
cringe worthy, half hearted shout of 'psyche' at 1:50.

brilliant other than that.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#971 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 09:21:13 am
cringe worthy, half hearted shout of 'psyche' at 1:50.

Is that Sharma? Is he there just now as well?

Some of those dyno's look crazy, slightly dissapointed with the temper tantrum though, heard better.

hobblingfool

• regular
#972 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 09:53:48 am
This video is private  :'(

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#973 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 11:27:07 am
Since I managed to watch it before it got privated - I'll give you a blow by blow account.

Sit down  :popcorn: this is going to be exciting.

He starts climbing, and does a jumpy move.
Apparently this one is quite hard because there are shouts in various languages from somewhere around the camera.

He then climbs a bit more, and takes a rest on a jug for a while.

He starts off again and does another big jumpy move - again followed by some shouting.
He climbs some more and goes for a throwy move, but unfortuantely falls off and screams a bit.

The scream was a little disappointing though, one decent yell but then he stops and starts slapping his legs a bit before lowering down...

I hope I did it justice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#974 Re: Ondrawad
February 01, 2013, 11:38:08 am
That looks amazing.

Picture1 by ianvincent, on Flickr

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Is that jwi and slackers at the front with hands in pockets.

i don't know how anyone with an interest in the progress of our sport can fail to be be interested in the progress being made on this route.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal