UKBouldering.com

Peak mobile speed camera van back out (Read 12717 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Hopefully with budgets being cut they won't be purchasing too many more new ones for the time being though...

With a bit of luck others will take the lead of Oxfordshire.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I believe that most only measure traffic coming towards them but newer cameras can do both. Beware when travelling in either direction!

Hopefully with budgets being cut they won't be purchasing too many more new ones for the time being though...

Also worth noting that they aren't always set up to catch speeders (which is the real reason why some people who think they 'got away with it' don't get a ticket), they will sometimes just be looking out for tax/insurance evaders.

Aren't the tax evasion vans DVLA (or whatever it's now called) rather than the Feds?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's soon to be called Big Society (Car, Van and Scooter Division) and will run by volunteers from the WI.

dave

It's soon to be called Big Society

Its convenient that the thing which already has the abbreviation of "B.S." is, in this case, interchangeable.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
It's soon to be called Big Society (Car, Van and Scooter Division) and will run by volunteers from the WI.

Something positive from the coalition, we'll be able to pay for road tax in cakes and jam.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
This site can be very useful: http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
Aren't the tax evasion vans DVLA (or whatever it's now called) rather than the Feds?

No, not always. Police can use their kit for either/or (I was working in the IT dept of Suffolk police when they were first bringing this kit in so am reasonably sure about this).

This was highly fortunate when I went past one on the motorway at "a bit over the limit" a few weeks back.  :oops:

The van was definitely police and the motorway was crawling with other coppers waiting to pull people over... not interested in me though (I was crapping myself for the rest of the journey mind).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

The Big Society solution will be to allow volunteer mobs of Daily Mail readers to publicly lynch/burn anyone who knocks down a child/granny and looks like they might be the type of person who drives too fast.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Will Big Society have a Ministry of Speed that enforced a 20 mph speed limit everywhere, a Ministry of Health that closes all the hospitals, a Ministry of UKClimbing that does nothing but talk about jam, scones, walking and whether or not E0 exists, and a Ministry of Sound that produces infinite discs of tedious mainstream boom-boom compilations?

I love you,  B.S.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

The Big Society solution will be to allow volunteer mobs of Daily Mail readers to publicly lynch/burn anyone who knocks down a child/granny and looks like they might be the type of person who drives too fast.

:o You must know my father in-law, this was exactly what he was saying at dinner the other day, although he was advocating making them explain to those in the "parish" their actions.  I suggested that he may as well re-instigate flogging/stocks.  He seemed enthusiastic.

I then remembered he reads the Daily Fail.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

I read recently that Derbyshire had started using vans that work both ways specifically to get bikes who used to ignore them.

This is semi-true, it only has one laser/IR/whatever beam out the usual window, but its linked to a camera on the opposite side of the van in order to snap said motorbikes plate. Prior to this we could  buzz the vans at speed!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Another one - 56 plate Volvo saloon out on the prowl in Sheffield at 3am. Nearly overtook it on the way back from work but luckily noticed the strobes on the parcel shelf as I came up behind it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
There's a few of those Volvos about. Seen one pull someone at Attercliffe the other day. Blue lights out of nowhere!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal