UKBouldering.com

Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging' (Read 6576 times)

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 04:07:43 am
Seems to be a lot of debate flying around on the forums and places at the moment, regarding 'red-tagging'.
Apparently when Nalle went over to Spain recently, the only reason was to try the FRFM project, which he never actually got to try as Sharma asked him not too.
Anyway both Chris and Nalle have written responses to what happened, what was said and expressed there own opinions on the matter.

http://bjornpohl.blogspot.com/

Interesting reading, does seem a little 'petty' in places, but I can see both sides of the argument and where they're coming from.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#1 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 08:51:21 am
if i was Nalle i would tell sharma where to stick his red-tagging, if he was on it on his own then fair do's but to get on it with Graham and Andrada and not let Nalle have a crack is bollocks. Nalle needs to get on it and crush it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 11:47:40 am
When you work a new project you invest time and emotion into it that gives a natural sense of partial ownership.

I've seen how others feel and felt how it is when it happened to me when somebody else nips in.

Plenty feel bitter and betrayed years later as described by Moffat in 'Revelations' having Ninth Life 'stolen' by Woodward.

Nalle doesn't need to do it and as Sharma says he pointed him at other open projects. That his mates had a play on it is neither here nor there.

From what I gather this view on project ownership is actually stronger in the UK than elsewhere.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 11:55:52 am
Well yeah because we have so little unclimbed rock in comparison to (e.g.) Spain.

I agree. Sharma makes the strong argument here but then, it's a bit of a non story as Nalle says he wasn't that bothered. I'd just take it as a compliment if I were him!

The keyboard warriors are going for it in the comments though.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#4 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 05:06:29 pm
April Fool anyone.

Thank fuck for the edit button  :'(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 01, 2010, 05:44:39 pm
I was rickrolled earlier, way funnier than this skedge.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 02, 2010, 04:58:58 pm

I agree. Sharma makes the strong argument here but then, it's a bit of a non story as Nalle says he wasn't that bothered. I'd just take it as a compliment if I were him!

He does make a point but it surely should be open OR closed. If Dani and Dave (who aren't exactly shit) are trying it then there's a chance Sharma won't tick it first. From what I read, there seems to be a lot of contradictions in his post.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#8 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 02, 2010, 05:41:14 pm
There are contradictions but I read it -

that its very unlikely to be climbed by someone else first (ie, Dave and Dani), but not having seen Nalle climb only having known what he's ticked, Chris saw him as a big threat. So really paying him a massive compliment.

On the whole I agree with Chris, its his Bobby Brown. Things like this should be viewed on a case by case basis. He comes accross well though, I thought he could just power scream and say 'dude roll me a fat one'.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 02, 2010, 06:04:06 pm
There's a difference between letting your mates have a play on your project and declaring it open.

cofe

• forum hero
#10 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 02, 2010, 08:07:24 pm
What Johnny said. If Nalle went all the way there just to try Sharma's project then he's a lemon.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 03, 2010, 08:55:26 am
Balls Up have their say...

c3po

• regular
#12 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 03, 2010, 06:35:42 pm
This is just a storm in a teacup as most of us are aware, but on the issue of project ownership I think if someone finds the line, spends their time and money equiping the line then unlocks the beta (which is the hard part) and is close to climbing it, surely others should wait.

There are loads of bolted and unbolted lines waiting to be climbed, I believe it would be unethical for one to let others do all the above, watch the video footage until the beta is ingrained then step in to snaffle the prize (First Assent). 

It's not like a 9b line has been bolted by a 7c climber who wants all to stay off yet will be pissing in the wind for the forseeable.

Whilst on the topic, is it ethical to nick bouldering projects?  :shrug:

Can you tell someone not to do a link you have been working on or climb a piece of rock that is accessible to everyone?  :-\

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#13 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 04, 2010, 02:49:46 pm

Whilst on the topic, is it ethical to nick bouldering projects?  :shrug:

Can you tell someone not to do a link you have been working on or climb a piece of rock that is accessible to everyone?  :-\

Yes and no. If somebody has been trekking round and found a boulder covered in moss etc, cleans the line over numerous days and has to wait for some rain to get rid of the last bits of shite, then yes, said person should be given a reasonable (how you could define reasonable in this instance, i dont know) amount of time to do the deed. I was shown a project in the cave, became inspired to try the line and started working on it (the line has been tried by numerous people in the past, and one other person is still activley working on it to the best of my knowledge), would i take offence is that line was climbed? hell no! Its just a piece of rock, nothing more. With bolted lines its a different thing. As has already been said with regards to buying bolts, equipping the line working out beta etc, this is entierly correct. the equipper should have a say in the matter as to wether somebody else can have a pop at the FA. If the equipper says please giev me some more time, that wish shoud be respected.

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 05, 2010, 04:37:43 pm
You can't bagsy link ups at a crag (routes or boulders), you can ask people if they will leave it to you, sometimes they will sometimes they won't. Bolted routes are different however, bolting is expensive, hard work and if someones gone to the trouble of equipping something they get dibs on the route IMO.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:44:37 pm by Doylo »

John Boy

• The Lambrusco Cowboy
#15 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 09, 2010, 05:23:21 pm
I think Sharma has gone about this all wrong.

What he should have done is poorly fixed in the first couple of bolts, not told anyone but his close buddies, then let whoever
try the line and test the poor bolts.

This would probably future proof all his projects ?

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Nalle and Sharma on 'Red-tagging'
April 09, 2010, 08:54:38 pm
my god bonjoy you have reversed yourself

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal