UKBouldering.com

cardiff climbing club vandalism in FONT (Read 31230 times)

chriss

• obsessive maniac
PRICKS- no wonder we get the 'Brits abroad' tag..........

liam fyfe

• regular
 :agree: hahahahahahahaha! very good

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Ah, so that's what CUMC stands for.  Saw them in the massive supermarket (the complex with decathlon in).  One had a grey hoodie with some kind of crossed ice axes as the logo.

Nothing says "pecker" quite as much as a hoodie with a student club logo with such a gay logo.  So such childish behaviour doesn't surprise me at all.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
The green lichen on the edges of the lower half of the letters makes it look prety much scratched in, to my mince pies at least.

Forgive my ignorance, or lack of understanding, but surely the lichen would take months to grow, rather than minutes?

To me it looks like chalk, but it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.

Lichen takes YEARS.  You can date the last ice age from the size of a lichen patch.

KH

• addict
This behaviour is really dissapointing and is pretty reflective of a number of university groups that visit Font over the easter break.

I know quite a few 'climbers' from the Cardiff club and most are good people.  It would be a shame to taint everyone from the Cardiff club because of the stupid behaviour of this one individual.

Neil H, where is this in Font?

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
the thing is one of my friends happened to be on the trip with said club, I will find out were this tagging went on and go see if it is chalk or not, but even if it is chalk it does not excuse the fact of doing it in the first place.

dave

The green lichen on the edges of the lower half of the letters makes it look prety much scratched in, to my mince pies at least.

Forgive my ignorance, or lack of understanding, but surely the lichen would take months to grow, rather than minutes?

To me it looks like chalk, but it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.

Lichen takes YEARS.  You can date the last ice age from the size of a lichen patch.

Obviously i'm not suggesting lichen has grown on top of it, that would be blatantly idiotic. What i meant is there is lichen on the rock which will have had to be scratched through, hence the green edging.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Obviously i'm not suggesting lichen has grown on top of it, that would be blatantly idiotic. What i meant is there is lichen on the rock which will have had to be scratched through, hence the green edging.

It did seem a little odd  ;)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Can we please make sure we refer to them as Cardiff University Climbing Club. Like KH and Liam I'm also from the area and would not want any confusion to arise between these types and other great climbing clubs in the area.

It's good that this has been highlighted though. Many University clubs suffer from all the experienced members graduating at the same time, leaving no one behind to tell the newbies what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour (although you would hope it would be obvious in this case).'

wilchivs

Hello all. Apologies if I have caused an/any offence - it is me you see in the picture. The situation has been taken slightly out of context however. You are correct that this is a rock in Fontainbleau. However, the said rock is at a rear exit of a disused, extensive network of mining tunnels which we explored - miles from anywhere that might be called 'Font' by us climbers. The rock that now bears 'CUMC' was decorated from top to bottom with people's names, random french and english slogans and pictures. I'm not excusing it, I am merely pointing out that if one were to find this rock (which you would have great difficulty doing) my small addition would by now be lost within the rest. For those in the forum questioning whether it was chalk or carved, it was carved like everything else there (sorry Paul B, their assumptions were correct). Mind you, carved is a somewhat loose term, the rock was so soft it could have been done with a fingernail (not that this matters some will say, I am pointing out that I did not meticulously spend an age defacing a sacred Font boulder) In response to Liam Fyfe, you are right, it doesn't look like Font rock does it? It isn't - it is a much much softer and grainier type of sandstone and, under the surface as you can see, very white like the rest of the sand in the cave system. And to your earlier post, it is sad to be doing this rather than bouldering. We would have been bouldering had it not been chucking it down with rain all day, hence the exploration of the caves we directed to (they are very cool by the way). Later that day we did get to l'Elephant and no rock tagging was done...

Now, I'll take any more questions you might have or insults/accusations. I'll field them as best as possible. Again, I am sorry to have offended anyone - rest assured if I had seen someone tagging La Marie Rose I'd have kicked off too. I would ask that you refrain from dragging my club's name through the mud any more though - we are a great club, one of the largest around I would guess and have nothing but respect for precious Font boulders! Direct any abuse at me please, not CUMC. Oh yes, Eifeler, no it is not me in the video.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Good post, good response - in that you're right, you no longer deserve to be shot repeatedly in the face with a shotgun.

I still think scratching shit in stuff is a bit childish, whatever/wherever it is, or whether anyone else has done it or not.  Bit like "Jon for Julie Forever" on a desk at school, just 'cos everyone else does, doesn't mean you should, blah blah blah.

Don't do it again.  :spank:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
It wasn't the most sensible thing to do, I think we're all agreed, but good on you for owning up and explaning the situation.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
I don't care if it was on chossy rock, I don't care what the perpertrators use to justify their actions.

There are pictures out there of people vandalising rock in Font from Cardiff Uni Climbing club.

The pictures don't tell a story to make it "ok", they tell a story saying that it is perfectly legitamate to vandalise rock.

If this happened on ANY rock in the peak the purpotrators would have been hung drawn and quartered by now.

What are these vandals going to think is ok to do next? What else are they going to tag with grafiti on their next trip?

Rather than hearing why they thought vandalism was ok, (I can't be bothered with 1/2 hearted excuses for something that is 100% wrong), I would have prefered to hear how they were going to deal with it and make amends.

Purpotrators, hang your heads in shame.

Paul B

• forum hero
I don't care if it was on chossy rock, I don't care what the perpertrators use to justify their actions.

There are pictures out there of people vandalising rock in Font from Cardiff Uni Climbing club.

The pictures don't tell a story to make it "ok", they tell a story saying that it is perfectly legitamate to vandalise rock.

If this happened on ANY rock in the peak the purpotrators would have been hung drawn and quartered by now.

What are these vandals going to think is ok to do next? What else are they going to tag with grafiti on their next trip?

Rather than hearing why they thought vandalism was ok, (I can't be bothered with 1/2 hearted excuses for something that is 100% wrong), I would have prefered to hear how they were going to deal with it and make amends.

How would you expect them to deal with it and make ammends? They've apologised, admitted it was stupid etc. There's no undo button.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The pictures don't tell a story to make it "ok", they don't tell a story saying that it is perfectly legitamate to vandalise rock.

The pictures don't tell any story other than a carving was made on the rock and that the person doing the carving chose to write the initials of a club that they are affiliated with, thats it.

People record themselves doing all sorts of illegal and unethical things.  Just search YouTube and there are tons of videos of people breaking the speed limit in cars/on bikes.  It doesn't make it right/ok or wrong, but does show that their actions are foolish, as is the case here.

As for the assertion that had it happened in the Peak District, I don't think the perpetrators of the vandalism at Curbar in a highly visible and prominent position have been identified, let alone "hung drawn and quartered"...

nik at work

• forum hero
There's no undo button.
What!! This is TwentyTen, there should be undo jetpacks. Come on scientists get to work...

Wangy

Regarding the above reply, I think a little perspective would go a long way!

O.k., it wasn't the smartest move, but the back of a disused mining tunnel really is in no way comparable to vandalising proper font/peak rock. I'd be interested in how many quarry faces/mining tunnels bobkatebob has indirectly vandalised, such as by laying a patio or choosing to drive on a paved roads.

Wangy
(ex-CUMC)

Iesu

• obsessive maniac

I'd be interested in how many quarry faces/mining tunnels bobkatebob has indirectly vandalised, such as by laying a patio or choosing to drive on a paved roads.

Wangy
(ex-CUMC)

that's a bit like accusing someone of supporting Israel's Zionist agenda for using a computer with Intel Inside  :whistle:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Or as ridiculous as threatening to prosecute a library because someone's downloaded a file using their wifi connection?

Ah hang on........

Wangy

that's a bit like accusing someone of supporting Israel's Zionist agenda for using a computer with Intel Inside  :whistle:

O.k., my example may have been a little extreme, but the point remains, a little perspective is required here, we are talking about a disused mining tunnel!

Wangy

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
Nope we are talking about pictures of someone vandalising font rock with Cardiff Uni Clubs name.

great embasadors for the club and Uni arn't they? Worst of all, great embasadors for climbers from the UK  :'(

Paul B

• forum hero
a little perspective is required here
Wangy

Not really, what you did was wrong full stop to try and justify it any way regardless of where it happened is a little futile.
HOWEVER...

Nope we are talking about pictures of someone vandalising font rock with Cardiff Uni Clubs name.

great embasadors for the club and Uni arn't they? Worst of all, great embasadors for climbers from the UK  :'(

as they apologised, its time to let it go as they can't do anything to fix it apart from what they already have.
Neil, or Bobkatebob or Neil accidentely logged in as Bobkatebob what would you have them do about it now?

If you feel strongly about it then call up the uni and inform them of this incident and I'm sure they'll take disciplinary action (I don't think any uni likes this kind of press) but in reality that seems petty after a full apology.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
I am me thank you.

Now if it was in the UK amd they said that their next trip was a BMC crag clean up as way of paying their dues I would then be impressed.

Sorry is such an easy word to say, I really think it is over used and under meant (if you get what I mean) especially when coupled with a lame justification. I think actions speak louder than words.

Wangy

what you did was wrong full stop

Firstly, I didn't do anything. I'm no longer part of CUMC or have anything to do with the incident! I was merely stating personal opinions.

Secondly, you are still lacking perspective here! "Man writes name of climbing club at back of disused mining tunnel" - not clever, but then neither is getting on your high horse and making it out to be crime of the century. Get a life.

Wangy

Paul B

• forum hero
I hope you've read all my posts here Wangy as thats been my bottom line all the way fecking through. My point was saying anything other than oops that was stupid is pointless, there's little chance of justifying it  in any way with any kind of perspective. Sorry for mistaking you as the person in question, my mistake.

"Get a life", what is this 1995?   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal