UKBouldering.com

Wafflings of a Lanky Punter (Read 205121 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#525 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 18, 2014, 03:12:22 pm
When i was doing a lot of ski touring my crap boots used to rip holes in my shins, so i had to resort to large compeed, plus fingertape wrapped around to keep them in place. Hurt a tad when removing it!

comPiler

• forum hero
#526 Results
June 20, 2014, 07:00:10 pm
Results
20 June 2014, 1:39 pm

Results now out. Ring One 5 hrs 5 minsRing Two 7 hrs 25 minsRing Three 7 hrs 42 mins

Total: 20 hrs 12 minutes104.5km and 2008m ascent.

Source: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#527 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 20, 2014, 10:28:04 pm
Slow. Slower. Slowest.  :shit:

comPiler

• forum hero
#528 Test embed
July 04, 2014, 07:00:08 pm
Test embed
4 July 2014, 1:52 pm

Monday's run, just an attempt to embed the GPS trace from Strava:

comPiler

• forum hero
#529 UTLD 50
July 27, 2014, 07:00:11 pm
UTLD 50
27 July 2014, 4:31 pm

The Lakeland 50 started at 11:30 yesterday. I've looked forward to this for months, and after doing 66 miles for the Three Rings of Shap I was confident too.  I had intended to do this event to see how it felt with consideration for looking to doing the 100 in the future.

5:00 -  my alarm went off and I was up, showered and eating breakfast and coffee.

6:30 - left home with Iron Man heading to Coniston to check in.

7:15 - realised last check in was at 8:00 and we were an hour away.

7:58 - arrived in Coniston and the Iron Man got into registration.

8:05 - I was weighed (88.4kg fatty), kit checked, I paid for Iron Man's new waterproof as his failed the kit check, and we were in.  Phew.

11:15 - we clapped though a load of 100 runners whilst we awaited the start. Impressive.

11:30 - after the excellent briefing from Marc et al we set off.

What can I say- it was HOT and I suffered. We got to Howtown in 2:23:39, topped up on fluids and got ready for my least favourite part - Fusedale. On the recce I had my ass kicked on this section because it was too hot.  Same today.  I suffered on this ascent despite dousing my head and cap in streams, but we got to Mardale Head in 3:22:31 (total 5:46:10). Here was the Spartans tent where we had carrot and coriander soup, flat coke and sugary tea. Really great checkpoint, despite the bodies everywhere.

The section over Gatesgarth pass was slow. My legs weren't up to the job, I could only trudge slowly but stubbornly upwards. Once at the top we ran down the valley. Very frustrating but I think the heat had me. After the brief up and over, the descent to Kentmere went well. 2:29:23 for this section (total 8:15:33).  I had pasta and tea and coke, lamented that the parking charge here has gone from £1 per day to £3 and off we went.

It won't come as a surprise that the Garburn Pass kicked my ass too, 40 minutes from church to summit. However, after this we ran all the way down. The short cut over to Ambleside was a lot of up again, but near the top it began to piss it down and quickly I was soaked. Despite being around 11pm Ambleside gave us a great welcome, and the checkpoint was another good one. Bodies and foil blankets everywhere. Butternut squash soup, amazing at this point. Sarnies and crisps. A real boost. 2:46:01 for this leg, 11:01:34 total.

Off we went for Chapel Stile. This section went well despite the dark and occasionally tricksy nav.  Another amazing marquee, with a brazier outside and sofas inside. More tea, beef stew and a map check. 2:07:36 leg, 13:09:10 total.

Our next target was the self check on Wrynose. We managed to navigate past the worst bog and self checked after 1:47:32 (total 14:56:42), then ran a lot of the section to the Tilberthwaite checkpoint 50:23 leg, 15:47:05 total). Here, we had tea and little else got on our way up the sting in the tail. Steep and technical ground led to the summit, and then steep and technical ground led down the other side. We were back at Coniston in in 1:30:11 (the thoughts 3.5 miles ever?), to complete in a total time of 17:17:16. Slower than what I wanted, but great nonetheless and great food for thought.

We started the drive back, but needs 40 minutes sleep before the M6 so we got back around 7am to find my fab wife was up with breakfast and Bloody Marys for us, what a great welcome.

If I'm going to think about the 100 I need to invest a lot of time and effort. I suspect my bouldering goals will mean a lot more to me. I need to relax and have a good think. In the meantime  rather happy.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red249\green249\blue249;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl340\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs28 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 }

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#530 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 28, 2014, 09:43:45 am
Effort beast...

comPiler

• forum hero
#531 Stony Edge video
October 09, 2014, 01:00:17 pm
Stony Edge video
9 October 2014, 11:26 am

Short video of Stony Edge from a couple of weeks ago.  Couldn't get it online any sooner due to utter computer death.

Nice venue with lots more to go back for.  Grow some skin first though.....

from GCW on Vimeo.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#532 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
October 09, 2014, 01:02:11 pm
You still using PP? Or else what did you plump for?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#533 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
October 09, 2014, 01:09:36 pm
Currently using my old copy of premiere elements, which seems to save Vimeo videos with a slight up and down jiggle.  Later, I may get something else.....

comPiler

• forum hero
#534 UTLD Recce No 1
November 11, 2014, 12:00:04 pm
UTLD Recce No 1
11 November 2014, 11:54 am

Sunday was the first Lakeland 100 recce, Coniston to Buttermere:  the first quarter (ish) of the hundred.  26 miles, 2000m ascent.  I had vague hopes of getting round in 8 hours, so that a 10 hour stretch from Buttermere to Dalemain would give 22 hours to get round the second half of the course.  Oh dear.

I arrived at Buttermere at 7:15 and parked up on the verge a fair way up Newlands.  The coaches were later than planned  and got to Coniston for 10:00.  It was raining a lot and the becks were overflowing.  My plan was to try to get each checkpoint ticked in 2 hour lumps.  First checkpoint at Seathwaite sub 2 hours.  Great.  Boot in 4 hours.  Great, although underfoot was horrendously wet.  Wasdale Head 5:40, great.  I was at the top of Black Sail before dark, but then teamed up with a guy from Manchester for the last bit in pitch black with loads of stars now the rain had eased.  Two women in front of us went straight down from Scarth Gap, going totally off route.  We were slower than I would have liked but finished in just under 9 hours.  I'm sure in better conditions and going at my own pace I can knock a good half hour off this time.

Timings may well be tight on the day, I'll have to see how things go with the next lot of events/ recces.  Gulp.

comPiler

• forum hero
#535 2014 Round Up
December 31, 2014, 12:00:05 pm
2014 Round Up
31 December 2014, 10:48 am

The end of 2014

Here we are on the eve of a new year, so it's time to look back on the last 12 months and see what has been going on.  2014 has been quite a tough year really, and I won't be too sad to see the back of it.  Various family tragedies and sadness have put a bit of a downer on the year, and I'm very much looking forward to 2015 being a year of happiness.  But let's put a happy spin on matters and see what positives 2014 gave us:

January

Quiet month, got out running a fair bit.

February

Grizedale UltraTrail 26  43.6km  1183m ascent  5:46:59

A fun day out in less than ideal conditions.

March

I grabbed a day out at Cadshaw and nailed two first ascents, Rakkety Tam (a great 6b+ dyno) and Outcast (a fun 6c/+ traverse with a really nice slopy sidepull).

April

I spent a couple of hours at Denham, did two 7as (R-man's Living Next Door to Acid and my own Snap Derision) and added a sitter to Hypno-TOad, at 7a-ish.  Very pleasing day out!

I also ran the Yorkshire 3 Peaks for fun and training:  38.6km and 1442m ascent, in 6hrs 28mins.

May

Howgills UltraTrail 26  42.5km  1153m ascent  5:58:41

UTLD Recce - Pooley Bridge to Ambleside  46.2km  2000m ascent  7:40.  Ouch.

June

Three Rings of Shap, my longest event to date.  104.5km and 2008m ascent in 20:12.  Took my feet quite a while to recover from this one.

July

UTLD 50 80.9km, 2774m ascent, 17:17:16.  Really enjoyed this one, and it felt OK.  I'm sure it won't after doing the first 55 miles of the hundred next time around.

August

Got another year older, and had two weeks in France.  Our holiday was rather disrupted by the death of my father in law and my wife's ankle injury and huge reaction to oysters, but we still managed some really good days.

September

Not a lot really.

October

Rivington Trail 26:  43km and 1229m ascent in 5:48:46, slower than last year.

The Lancashire Bouldering Guidebook arrived too, which has been long awaited and very well received.  I'm not sure it'll make my fortune or if I'll become a celeb, but it looks good and has some fantastic problems in it.

November

UTLD Recce - Coniston to Buttermere.  42.5km and  2057m ascent in just under 9 hours.  Much slower than I had wanted.

December

Had a really good day with the family, which felt very relaxed, despite another bereavement on Christmas Eve.  Best Christmas dinner ever!!  Great set of presents all round too.

Aims for 2014

So what of the aims for 2014?  Rather a mixed bag really:

1.  Use the board at least once a week.

Running got in the way somewhat, but for a while I was on the board regularly and feeling stronger.  Slipped a bit recently but very keen to get back on it and get stronger.

2.  Boulder 7C or harder.

Not a chance.

3.  Reacquaint myself with Silverdale after two years of not visiting.

I didn't visit this year, and I've only been out on rock a handful of times.  Again, running has taken over.

4.  Do some trad with Nik at Work.

To my shame (and the cat eating all my trad gear), this never happened.

5. Tick two problems from the last few years Aims For lists.

There's a theme developing here.....

6.  Run another hill marathon or two.

Grizedale Ultra Trail 26, Howgills 26, the Three Rings of Shap 100km, the Lakeland 50, Rivington Trail 26 and UTLD recce.  6 hill marathons ticked this year.  I've run 1009.4km this year, with 18,266m of ascent.  Wow.

7.  Find some new rock and do a good FA.

No new rock yet, but 3 FAs which is pretty good.

8.  Do at least twenty new Wainwrights.  

No new Wainwrights at all this year!  I've run past a lot though.

9.  7b in Font.

Err, no.

10.  Read ten more books from the BBC Big Read top 100.

Didn't manage ten, but I'm up to 44% read now and still trawling through Middlemarch:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis

10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë

11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller

12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres

20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy

21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling

23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling

24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling

25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy

27. Middlemarch, George Eliot

28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving

29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck

30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson

32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez

33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett

34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson

37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute

38. Persuasion, Jane Austen

39. Dune, Frank Herbert

40. Emma, Jane Austen

41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery

42. Watership Down, Richard Adams

43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas

45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh

46. Animal Farm, George Orwell

47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy

49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian

50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher

51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck

53. The Stand, Stephen King

54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

55. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth

56. The BFG, Roald Dahl

57. Swallows And Amazons, Arthur Ransome

58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

59. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer

60. Crime And Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

61. Noughts And Crosses, Malorie Blackman

62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden

63. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough

65. Mort, Terry Pratchett

66. The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton

67. The Magus, John Fowles

68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett

70. Lord Of The Flies, William Golding

71. Perfume, Patrick Süskind

72. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell

73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

74. Matilda, Roald Dahl

75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding

76. The Secret History, Donna Tartt

77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins

78. Ulysses, James Joyce

79. Bleak House, Charles Dickens

80. Double Act, Jacqueline Wilson

81. The Twits, Roald Dahl

82. I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith

83. Holes, Louis Sachar

84. Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake

85. The God Of Small Things, Arundhati Roy

86. Vicky Angel, Jacqueline Wilson

87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

88. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons

89. Magician, Raymond E Feist

90. On The Road, Jack Kerouac

91. The Godfather, Mario Puzo

92. The Clan Of The Cave Bear, Jean M Auel

93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett

94. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

95. Katherine, Anya Seton

96. Kane And Abel, Jeffrey Archer

97. Love In The Time Of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez

98. Girls In Love, Jacqueline Wilson

99. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot

100. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie

So what of next year?

As I mentioned on UKB, I have 2 aims for 2015:

1.  Don't die trying to do the Lakeland 100.

2.  Get back to climbing after the Lakeland 100.

The UTLD 100 makes me nervous, not so much because of the distance but more that the cut off times a quite tight for a slow runner like me.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the rock, and the new Lancashire Bouldering Guidebook is there to give inspiration.

More than anything, what 2014 has shown us all is that life is precious and rather fragile.  It's too short to get up tight, and to worry about minor issues.  It should be lived to the full, taking any opportunity going and wringing all we can from it.  I'm very lucky to have a fabulous wife and step-children, and such a great home life.  Not everyone has that, and I'm realising more each day how lucky I am.

So here's to 2015 - let's make it a great year.  Happy New year everyone.

nik at work

• forum hero
#536 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 01, 2015, 03:04:19 pm
That's actually some reasonably impressive brisk walking G, nice one.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#537 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 01, 2015, 03:36:34 pm
Good stuff Gareth, see you on the rocks next year!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#538 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 01, 2015, 04:34:23 pm
I'll see if I can get out more than three times this year!!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#539 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 01, 2015, 07:57:03 pm
I'll see if I can get out more than three times this year!!
Keep getting on the board and you'll be back crushing everything in sight ;)

comPiler

• forum hero
#540 Tidying up
January 20, 2015, 12:00:18 pm
Tidying up
19 January 2015, 12:31 pm

I've been feeling a bit under the weather for the last week.  Running the Guild Wheel on Monday 12th January in blasting winds and rain probably didn't help.  35.4km according to the GPS, which is a little further than the official 21 miles.  It took 4 hours and 12 minutes, which is slower than expected but OK considering the condition.  Looking forward to the UTLD rec. next weekend, the night run from Ambleside to Coniston.

I bought Final Cut Pro recently, and had a little play around this morning.  Edited some footage I captured back in October, but I'm not used to using it yet.  I'm sure I'll get used to it fairly soon.

Had a little play on the board yesterday, feeling dreadfully weak but that's motivation to get on it more I suppose.......

from GCW on Vimeo.

comPiler

• forum hero
UTLD Recce Number 2:  Ambleside to Coniston
25 January 2015, 12:55 am

Andrew and I did this event tonight (technically lay night due to the lateness of the hour). We were driven from Coniston to Ambleside in a scorchingly hot coach. We were both glad to get off and get running.

We made good progress on the ascent from Ambleside and along the rivers to get to the Chapel Stile checkpoint with (some) daylight left. I had some cheese and onion crisps and off we went. The next leg to Tilberthwaite was quite boggy, but my shoes did their job and my feet were ok. After the brutal ascent out of Langdale we cruised through to the Tilberthwaite checkpoint. I had my own banana supplemented with jelly babies and a cookie, and a well needed bladder decompression.

I hate the last leg. Tonight it felt better, not having done 47 miles to get to it, but it still worries me for the 100.  We pushed on this leg, nailing it in around an hour.

We both felt good on this run, and we finished in 3 hours 48 minutes. Considering we took 6 hours 11 minutes when we did the 50, that ain't bad!

Grizedale 26 next I think. Then it's the nasty recce from Buttermere to Dalemain......

comPiler

• forum hero
Grizedale Ultra Trail 26.  8th February 2015
10 February 2015, 5:22 pm

On Sunday it was the Grizedale Trail event.  Last year I did this with the Iron Man, but this year he had stuff on that clashed and precluded his involvement.  As with the Coniston - Buttermere recce, I was to miss the company.

It was a bright morning but with lots of freezing fog, the car suggesting minus four for most of the journey up.  I hoped that the sun would burn this off and the day would be clear with good views, but it wasn't to be.  After the briefing we set off on the first loop.  This is all on forest trails and isn't as interesting as the second loop.  The first "half" marathon seemed to be nearly 24k.  The mist never really cleared, there was ice underfoot and it was cold out of the sun.

Loop 2 goes over the tops to Windermere, then along the lakeside for a couple of km before a steep up to head back to Grizedale.  I finished in 6hrs 16, a lot slower than last year but the course was longer this time.  Felt fine though, even on the last steep ascents.  Next up is the Buttermere to Dalemain recce.  Gulp.

The ascent out of Near Sawrey:

comPiler

• forum hero
#543 Out on the rock
March 22, 2015, 06:00:24 pm
Out on the rock
22 March 2015, 4:09 pm

Stronstrey Bank  18/03/2015

It's been a long time since I was last climbing at Stronstrey, probably around the time I put up David Vetter etc etc.  It was very sunny and hot on Monday, and I was off for the day.  Recent videos of hard problems on the Lone Boulder whetted my appetite.  I went straight to this odd-ball boulder.  It's been a long time since I was here, my last visit was with my late father and he's been dead a good few years now.

I did Jim Reaper pretty easily via a sneaky heel-toe cam.  My own Day-Glo Man went down second go, after brushing off a load of crud - I don't think this gets much attention.  Noisy Cricket was impossible, I blame the head but me being very out of condition may not have helped.....

I did Grim Leaper, again via a naughty foot lock.  After this I had a play on the Fun Boulder, then headed home.  Need to get (a lot) stronger and then come back for a rematch.

from GCW on Vimeo.

Higher Chelburn  20/03/2015

I had a day off on Friday to use up annual leave.  Whilst driving over to Summit I got a decent view of the Solar Eclipse.  Good, but I think the 1999 one was better.  Once I parked up as per Robin's guide, I realised this is where Nik and I came to on our last trip together.  It took exactly 12 minutes to walk to the first area (as predicted).  I did a load of easy stuff, and Small Star which was excellent. I moved over to the next area and did a couple of problems on the big boulder - these were a bit damp, rather scrittly and felt a bit unnerving due to the pit beneath them.  I had a look at Expletive but the break was popping, so I did the easier version using the sidepull.  After this was the trio of excellent problems including Clarion Call - I flashed all three, and they are very good.

I had a look at the Chilli Burn boulder, but it was seeping (and too hard).  I picked up some finger tape and banana skins that someone had left there, rather disappointing this is happening already.  After this my skin had had enough so I left.

On my way home I dropped in at Roundbarn, which was wet, and had a wander around. Catfoot looks great so I think I'll head back this week if the weather remains dry.

Yesterday I did a new 10k route from home in my new Mudclaw 300s - got some heel rub and a blister on my right second toe.  I'll not be wearing these next weekend for the Buttermere to Dalemain rec.!!  A gentle 5k this morning was OK though.

So the plan is to get out on the rock this week - maybe Roundbarn +/- Jumbles.  I'll also get the Higher Chelburn video online once my Vimeo allowance resets.

comPiler

• forum hero
#544 What a pain in the arse
March 28, 2015, 07:00:16 pm
What a pain in the arse
28 March 2015, 4:13 pm

Firstly, here's the Higher Chelburn video as promised.  Lots of easy stuff, but a good few hours out.

from GCW on Vimeo.

I had a day off on Friday and was keen to head somewhere different.  I was going to head to Roundbarn first, then Knowle Heights later but Pasty Lord was potentially available later.  I opted to hit Knowle Heights first.

When I got there it looked dry, but there was a big group of teens hanging about drinking (10:30am). This felt pretty intimidating as I'd be bouldering right next to them, so I opted to change the plan (I ran away).

I headed to Roundbarn keen for a look at Catsfoot and Whisker.  They both had water running down them, so I look at the left end first.  Second go on Leave Your Hat On using R-man's high right heel and something went pop in my right hip.  This was really sore, and I couldn't use the heel again.  I linked it soon after.  I did a few other bits here, including the 6c+ dyne which I found pretty OK (due to lank and liking dynes I guess).  Quiver Upriver was also damp, but I could get to the break fine before being slimed off the next bit.  Should be fine when dry.  I had one try at Whisker, but the top holds were streaming.

I went to look at Stanworth on my way home, only to find a new 6' green fence that seemed to go all the way round.  I didn't want to start trying to hop it, so left and went home.

Today I woke with more pain in my right hip - certainly looks like I've done something to a hamstring.  I was supposed to be doing the Buttermere to Dalemain recce for the UTLD 100 tomorrow.  I tried a short run this morning, but barely managed a mile as the pain and stiffness got worse with each step.  No way can I do 33 hill miles this weekend, so I've had to pull out of the recce.  We'll have to arrange our own at a later date.

comPiler

• forum hero
#545 Training or failing?
June 04, 2015, 01:00:39 am
Training or failing?
27 May 2015, 12:59 am

I had entered the LDWA Red Rose 100 mile event as part of my training for the UTLD 100. Saturday morning saw me parked up at Rivington school and being taken by minibus to the start of the event. After being checked in and having my halfway bag deposited, I had some tea and toast and waited for the start.

Leg one I knew well, from the Anderton centre via Go Ape and then up to Pigeon Tower. Then across the cobble road that Andrew and I know well to skirt into Belmont and onto the bit of the Rivvy 26 route I hate. This dropped me at CP1.  Jaffa cakes, custard donuts and crackers and cheese were very welcome.

Leg two took us over Darwen Tower and then back down to Feniscliffe, where sandwiches did the trick. Sixteen miles in and going well. My game plan was to keep under 15 minutes per km, as this is 40 hour pace for 100 miles.

The next bit was quite hilly and took us over a few grassy hills, busy roads and boring stomps over golf courses. I arrived at Whalley with sore feet, 8:20 after 28 miles.  I popped a few blisters and applied Compeed. The next leg was a fun one, with a lot of up and down and bog.

Getting to Barley involved a lot of dancing over bog but I managed to keep my feet dry. Here was on offer minestrone, vegetable soup, or pizza crumpet. I had one of the latter, which was tomato purée on crumpet, toasted with cheese on top. Really nice at this point.

Next was Pendle Hill. In the dark. Anyway, off I went. Up and up it seemed. Near the top I met a witch and her cat, who clipped my card and gave me sweets. On the way off the top I did wonder if we were going the right way. The route card said head at 330 but the path everyone was taking didn't match this. After a while I stopped to check my position, which agreed with the planned route.

Downham. Midnight. 14 hours in, sore hamstring, various blisters.  40 miles in, and mind games came along. Not near my previous 66 Mile best but there's plenty to concern me.

Anyway, I got to Downhan. 40 miles in, a week after a hill marathon.  I was gutted not to finish but I

wanted to get back to my lovely wife and our bed.  Would you rather cuddle up to your fantastic wife, or continue stomping through the paths of Lancashire?????

The lack of Andrew being there was a major downer which had a huge effect on my mental approach.  So, I dropped out here. Various reasons, but the hamstring was an issue which I didn't want to aggravate and blisters won't help my recce this weekend- Andrew and I are going to scope out the second quarter of the hundred.  26 miles last weekend, 40 this weekend and 33 next weekend. Not bad training for distance. Best keep the distance up, rather than killing myself with 100 miles on a bad bum!

Anyway,  lessons learned

Roll on the 100.......

This was all walked, and the GPS ain't right.

comPiler

• forum hero
#546 UTLD recce Buttermere to Dacre
June 04, 2015, 01:00:41 am
UTLD recce Buttermere to Dacre
3 June 2015, 8:10 pm

The family had a weekend at a cottage in Thornthwaite at the weekend, and the Iron Man came up to recce the second "quarter" of the Lakeland 100 route on the Saturday with me. This is the bit we missed because I pulled my hamstring, and as half of it will be done in the dark it was important to have a look at it.  On the day I really want to get this section done in under 11 hours, plus the 9 for the first bit, meaning we hit Dalemain at 20 hours.  Ambitious maybe, but it's a plan.

We drove to Buttermere and set off at 7am.  We were lucky with the weather on the day.  Dry, but pretty hot later on.  The first leg over the tops to get to Braithwaite was nice, a good section uphill followed by interesting down sections to the checkpoint.  We had a drink and some fluid here.  1:54 for this bit.

The next section drags along by the A66, then along bits of railway (all of which I found a little dull) and then sneaks uphill to contour round Lonscale fell to an unmanned checkpoint, then back down the other side of the valley to the Blencathra centre.  Another drink and snack.  2:14 for this leg.

A good bit of down then leads along the railway again until a boggy up section to gain the old coach track around Matterdale Common and eventually to Dockray checkpoint, in a car park a couple of km before the village.  1:59 to here.

The next bit worked through some woods past Aira Force, which needed a bit of attention.  Then up and around Gowbarrow Fell, which was a bit of slog in the heat.  After this was a few boring km on roads to get to Dacre.  Under 8:30 for the whole lot, which is great.  Although, add on a bit for the next couple of km to Dalemain.

Some interesting points in a UTLD presentation by Dr Ian Boardley, available online here.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#547 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 04, 2015, 01:57:10 pm
 :bow:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#548 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 05, 2015, 09:31:14 am
32 miles is a bit different from 105 though, fatneck!!   :sick:

comPiler

• forum hero
#549 Two Rings of Shap 13/06/2015
June 18, 2015, 01:00:44 am
Two Rings of Shap 13/06/2015
17 June 2015, 10:29 pm

Iron Man and I headed up to Shap on Saturday for this event.  I did all three rings last year as preparation for the UTLD 50.  We had entered this year as part of the last five weeks' events, in order to continue to maintain distance.

Over the last five weeks I've done 26 miles, 42 miles, 31 miles, weekend off, 42 miles over 5 Saturdays.  I'm hoping this is fair prep for the 100.  I have a game plan, but still quite a few things to get straight in my mind.

We set off at 8am again this year.  The first Ring is my favourite, heading out towards the Lake District to climb over to Mosedale Cottage, then up Branstree to a self clip.  After this a nice run over to Selside Pike (with a view of the nasty run along Haweswater for the UTLD 100), then down the lovely waterfalls of Swindale.  The bridge at the bottom of the valley had been rebuilt, so we avoided the boggy section that got mealiest year, and were at Truss Gap checkpoint with dry feet.  The next up and over was a lot less wet than last year too, so we were back at Shap in good shape, and twenty minutes quicker than I managed last year.

We dibbed in, and then changed shoes (which adds an extra 20 odd minutes to the loop time).  The second loop takes in a lot of fields with long grass to get to the three rivers involved.  First is River Lyvennet, and this year I wasn't chased by cows and the horrid path through the woods was bypassed.  Iron Man had hurt his knee on the Swindle descent and this started to tell by the checkpoint at Great Strickland.  I think the heat had got to him a bit too as he was feeling pretty sickly.

We managed to continue through the remainder of the Ring, not getting lost (having done it last year really helped at times) on the way to the self check at a road junction.  A bourbon biscuit or two here, then onwards back along the River Lowther with its brilliant suspension bridge.

Anyway, we were back at Shap in 12:33:31 after 42 miles and a good day out.  I had a cup of tea and one of veg soup before we got kit sorted and got going home for a beer.

Results for Shap:

Ring One (29 km)  5:05

Ring Two (39 km)  7:25  (12:30 for two rings)

Ring Three (32 km)  7:42

Total  20:12

Ring One (29 km)  4:45:20

Ring Two (39 km)  7:41:22

Total  12:33:31

Three Rings of Shap 2014:

Two Rings of Shap 2015:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal