UKBouldering.com

Wafflings of a Lanky Punter (Read 205644 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#550 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 18, 2015, 08:52:56 am
Quote from: GCW
32 miles is a bit different from 105 though, fatneck!!   :sick:

I know but for a man for whom a 2 mile run is like a death sentence it's inspirational! Nice one...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#551 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
June 18, 2015, 09:13:38 am
Five weeks to go!!!   :o

comPiler

• forum hero
Lakeland 100 - Ultra Tour of the Lake District
28 July 2015, 11:26 pm

This has been a long time coming, especially for my lovely wife who has been long suffering.  She has put up with late night wind noise as I watched and re-watched John Kynaston and Dave Troman's excellent videos , looked after children and cooked for us when the Iron Man and I had been out all Saturday doing training runs or recess, listened to me go on endlessly about plans, pitfalls and doubts.  A big thanks to my wife, I certainly wouldn't be here writing this without you.  As I said in my aims for 2015, "1.  Don't die trying to do the Lakeland 100  2.  Get back to climbing after the Lakeland 100."  2015 has certainly all been about the weekend just gone, 24th July to 26th July 2015.  For that reason alone, I will not apologise for the length of this blog.

As the time come closer over the last couple of months I was getting more twitched.  This is a huge endeavour at the best of times, but for someone that isn't a proper ultra runner doubts crept in.  Could I do this?  Infant, would I try again?  All I could do was train as best as I could, make a decent plan, and stick to it.  I know I'm pretty damned stubborn so I knew that would help a lot.

I haven't run over the last couple of weeks, not since a 31km training trip around Rivington a couple of weekends ago.  The weekend after someone we knew was doing the Bolton IronMan so we watched that.  I obsessively studied the maps, worked out times compared to my recce timings and what would deposit me at the finish, and swore not to let the Iron Man make me go faster than I was comfortable.  I also supplied my wife with a graffitied version of the UTLD map so she would be able to follow us alongside the text updates.

So Friday 24th came.  I was off work, and after my wife had gone to work I tried to lie down for more sleep.  I didn't sleep well on Thursday night, dreams of remembered sections ran through my head and I was awake quite often.  I was entirely unsuccessful in having a sleep on Friday morning, so in the end I got up and re-re-re-packed the bag to make sure all was in order.    I drove us up to Coniston;  "Any preference for music?" I asked.  "Anything" replied the Iron Man.  I put Coldplay on again, it's the least offensive stuff on my iPod and he seems to like it.  I have put it on most of the times we've been out running.  The drive up was OK, apart from some slow patches on the M6.  We were in Coniston and parked up in good time.  We registered, went through kit check, got our SiEntries dibber and got weighed.  91.2kg, what?????  Tim Brook, someone else we know, was one of the marshals.  He did the 50 last year in a good time (14:32:52) and was going to improve on this in this year's 50, but knackered his leg earlier in the year.  Nice to see a friendly face.

We mooched about, and finally headed back to the car to get ready.  I put Compeed on the usual hot spots, and got sorted.  My pack was 3.6kg this time, trying to go lighter.

People being fed at Coniston:

The briefing was an amusing affair.  Terry got things underway, albeit with some reverb issues on the microphone.  

Marc was amusing as usual.  "Look at a stranger next to you, introduce yourself, then decide which one of you will finish" reflected the usual 45-55% finish rate (apart from this year....).  David Cowburn spoke to us over the fence whilst we were in the starting pen, another familiar face.  Then, after Nessun Dorma we were off at 6pm.

Leg 1 - Coniston to Seathwaite

Leg:  11.3km  659m ascent

Total:  11.3km  659m ascent

Planned time:  2 hours

Leg time:   1:46:31

Planned total:  2:00

Total time:   1:46:31

0:13:29 ahead of schedule

After the run through Coniston came the slowly steepening road up to the Miner's Bridge.  I was walking by this point, stick to the plan and don't burn out.  The climb up to the T junction was OK, the drop to Walna Scar car park was fun.  The long slog up Walna Scar Road seemed less bad than when I did the recce, although that was in awful conditions.  The descent to Seathwaite was longer than I recall but was fine.  A few biscuits and coke from the Ulverston crew, and away.  One of my major plans was to spend as little time in checkpoints as possible.

Walna Scar ascent:

http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10440#photohttp://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10442#photohttp://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10443#photo

Descent to Seathwaite:

http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-20299

http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-20300#photohttp://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-20301#photo

Leg 2 - Seathwaite to BootLeg:  11.1km  385m ascentTotal:  22.4km  1044m ascentPlanned time:  2 hoursLeg time:   1:54:40Planned total:  4:00Total time:   3:41:110:28:49 ahead of schedule

I'm not a big fan of the first climb up past Wallowbarrow Crag (incidentally where I first went rock climbing a lot of years ago), nor the awkward section through the fells and then into the forestry section.  This year this was far drier due to some sterling work having been done.  Much easier, and felt a lot quicker - plus dry feet too.  The section along the river into Boot still felt quite long.  Again, a quick stop at the checkpoint for flapjack and a drink from the French fancy dress/ Petal team.

Disco dancing and prancing towards Boot:http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10699

http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10700#photo

Leg 3 - Boot to Wasdale HeadLeg:  8.6km  297m ascent

Total:  31.0km  1341m ascent

Planned time:  2 hours

Leg time:   1:42:55

Planned total:  6:00

Total time:   5:24:06

0:33:54 ahead of schedule

Going well.  This section is actually one of the easiest on the route, and is a welcome chill out before the next leg over the tops.  We headed up gently over the moors, past Burnmoor Tarn (I put the head torch on just before the Tarn), then the nice descent to Wasdale.  This one felt a lot easier than on the recce, but was still pretty boggy.   Wet feet now.  I had some soup (the first of many) and sandwiches from the Stroller disco.  Fantastic.

Leg 4 - Wasdale Head to ButtermereLeg:  11.0km  712m ascent

Total:  42.0km  2053m ascent

Planned time:  3 hours

Leg time:   3:01:11

Planned total:  9:00

Total time:   8:25:17

0:34:43 ahead of schedule

This is in the top two big climbs - there's a lot of ascent, and it's all in one lump.  Properly dark by now, the night was pretty cloudy so no decent stars, just a line of head torches painfully working their way up Black Sail Pass.  I was very pleased to reach the metal gate that marks the top, and equally pleased to make it down the rocky and technical descent to the River Liza, the bridge, and then Black Sail YHA.  The next drag up Scarth Gap Pass was a lot longer than the route book suggested (uphill for 230m?  more like 1230m!!).  At the summit, with another gate, there was a chap in a divvy bag with some cans and a pizza box egging us on.  Surreal.  The run down to Buttermere went fine, and it was time for more soup with bread, a tea and biscuits.

Leg 5 - Buttermere to BraithwaiteLeg:  10.5km  573m ascentTotal:  52.5km  2626m ascentPlanned time:  2:30 hoursLeg time:   2:49:21Planned total:  11:30Total time:   11:14:450:15:15 ahead of schedule

When Iron Man and I did this "quarter" of the course as a recce this was the first section and it felt OK.  After a marathon it would feel more tough!  The section by the river and out to open fell was fine, as was the next section contouring around Whiteless Breast and crossing streams.  It took a long time to get to the small cairn that marks the start of the steep climb, and the climb itself felt tough.  At one point we had to shout down to a guy that had missed the turn and was heading of towards Derwentwater.  Annoyingly, he pretty quickly overtook us with thanks for our intervention.  My legs were starting to dislike steep hills.  Once we hit the top of Sail Pass, the nice descent to Braithwaite went well and I was soon enjoying pasta, tea and biscuits.  Iron Man had the rice pudding and jam.  Thanks to Tony and Giselle.

Leg 6 - Braithwaite to Blencathra Centre

Leg:  13.7km  478m ascent

Total:  66.2km  3104m ascent

Planned time:  2:30 hours

Leg time:   2:58:06

Planned total:  14:00

Total time:   14:12:51

0:12:51 behind schedule!

With stomachs full of food we ran/ walked this next bit.   On our recce I didn't like the section by the A66, nor the next bit along the old railway.  Today it felt OK for some reason and we were soon turning left onto Spooney Green Lane.  We climbed up well, and pushed on around Lonscale Fell heading towards the self check.  This was the first time I fell asleep running.  This was to be the most unpredictable, most irritating and most bizarre part of the UTLD 100.  I had that feeling you get on a late night long car journey (or trying to stay awake to read a book in bed).  My brain seemed to shut down and my eyes closed, and there was nothing I could do about it.  Then I would come to with a jump and remember where I was.  This was highly irritating as it slowed me down a lot, but also dangerous as this section involves contouring around on a very narrow path above a big drop.  Luckily we made it to Blencathra safely as it was getting light, and  I willingly accepted two cups of sugary coffee from little Dave, along with cake.  

Leg 7 - Blencathra Centre to Dockray

Leg:  12.3km  417m ascent

Total:  78.5km  3521m ascent

Leg time:   2:24:37

Planned total:  16:30

Total time:   16:37:28

0:07:28 behind schedule!

I will hold my hand up now - I don't like this leg.  At all.  We dropped down from Blencathra Centre, me falling asleep here and there still, then along the railway (still snoozing) to get to the boggy ascent to the old coach road.  This was wet, but not too wet.  The coach road was less of a drag than I recalled, but still nasty.  Not much more to say, other than being glad to get to the Dockray checkpoint and more soup and sandwiches.  I had more coffee too from the Newburgh Nomads.

Leg 8 - Dockray to Dalemain

Leg:  16.3km  370m ascent

Total:  94.8km  3891m ascent

Leg time:   3:13:16

Planned total:  19:30

Total time:   19:50:44

0:20:44 behind schedule!

We ran down this road section, then stomped through the Aire Force section, taking in passing views of the lovely waterfall.  After this the interminable climb around Gowbarrow Fell passed relatively easily.  I was more awake now and going well.  The trog across fields was easier as a path had been carved by our quicker colleagues.  The last section on the road to Dacre was really dull, then the Iron Man "stretched his legs" by running the rest of the way to the checkpoint.  I ran/ walked this bit, feeling some blisters but generally feeling good.  At the checkpoint, I had meat stew and coffee (most of which I spilled) and some sweets.  Whilst popping blood blisters under my lesser toes, I was very much pleased to see my wife arriving in the tent along with the boys.  She told me later that we looked rough, but I didn't feel it.  This was a big boost and set me up for the last 46 miles of our journey.  Dalemain was the first huge mental boost for me, the second being Mardale Head (after my very least favourite leg of this event).  Thanks to The Endurance Store team.  I had a choice of putting my new pair of Inov8 shoes on (which were the same as the ones I'd worn so far, and therefore rubbed in the same spots) or swap to my Hokas.  I opted for the latter, which was to be a very wise choice.

Leg 9 - Dalemain to Howtown

Leg:  11.5km  294m ascent

Total:  106.3km  4185m ascent

Leg time:   2:43:39

Planned total:  22:30

Total time:   22:34:23

0:04:23 behind schedule!

After a longer stop at Dalemain, it took a minute to loosen the legs up but we jogged through to Pooley Bridge.  Here we were greeted not only by the fab wife, but by Rob Turnock and family.  It makes a big difference to the psyche to see people you know, it really spurs you onwards.  The climb up to the Cockpit felt OK, then we jogged along on the slow descent to Howtown.  Cowboys greeted us here, and I ate flapjack and biscuits courtesy of the Chia Charge guys.  Thanks.  This is now my distance record to date.

Leg 10 - Howtown to Mardale Head

Leg:  15.2km  765m ascent

Total:  121.5km  4950m ascent

Planned time:  4 hours

Leg time:   3:51:57

Planned total:  26:30

Total time:   26:26:20

0:03:40 ahead of schedule

I hate this leg.  Each time I've done it I've overheated, felt ill and been crap thereafter.  This time I was determined to take it slowly.  The cooler, but still warm weather certainly helped.  I went step by step, slowly plodding up and up through the never ending steep grass and bog.  Oh my, I hate this.  Eventually we got to the top of the climb, then went over High Kop (which always lasts a lot longer than you expect) until the drop back down to Haweswater.  Now this bit is totally different in character - rocky, awkward, boring, undulating - but still horrid.  I was supremely glad to get to the Spartan's tent at CP10.  More soup, coffee and sandwiches.

Leg 11 - Mardale Head to Kentmere

Leg:  10.4km  511m ascent

Total:  131.9km  5461m ascent

Leg time:   2:59:59

Planned total:  29:30

Total time:   29:26:19

0:03:41 ahead of schedule

Off we went.  There was a 50 runner stopping at CP10, which was one thing we had in the back of our minds - overtaking 50 runners would be a huge booster.  We overtook a girl doing the 50 on the brutal ascent of Gatesgarth Pass - apparently she had got to the top of Fusedale, then decided to turn back only to meet someone that pushed her on - she did Fusedale TWICE!!!  Our ascent went fairly OK, the descent was again in the dark and was as long and tough underfoot as ever.  On the climb over from Sadgill I started my falling asleep thing again,  I was also seeing rocks covered in moss as really colourful graffiti covered walls, the like of which I imagine you get in New York.  Weird.  We made it to Kentmere in one piece, and I ate some of the Montane team's pasta and biscuits and more coffee (most of which I spilled on the table).  Two blokes who were pretty battered asked to tag along with us, I guess night two in the dark on your own ain't fun.

Leg 12 - Kentmere to Ambleside

Leg:  11.8km  491m ascent

Total:  143.7km  5952m ascent

Leg time:   3:23:05

Planned total:  32:30

Total time:   32:49:24

0:19:24 behind schedule!

I think I spent a lot of this leg asleep.  Garburn Pass came and went, as did Badger Rock, Little Font and the Garburn Pass Boulder (couldn't see them though).  The long descent was Ok, but we go ta little confused as to where the sharp right was, but luckily we got it right.  The next thing I really recall is getting internally angry that we didn't know where we were going through Skelghyll Woods. There was a disagreement of views as to which way to go, but I wasn't helping as my mind was off somewhere else.  Finally Steve agreed with my ramblings and we headed off down over the bridge towards Ambleside.  Once on tarmac, Iron Man suggested a run - we both knew we were behind time now.  Ambleside is the last cut off, and we were going to make it but the plan was at risk.  We ran along Old Lakes Road but within a couple of minutes my toes were agony. I couldn't run due to the pain.  Despair entered my mind - behind time, messing around in the woods and now painful feet.  No way could I finish in time - what was the point of going on, I may as well stop here.  I grumpily announced to Iron Man that I would not run any more of this event.  Into the checkpoint I ate some soup and sandwiches and had coffee, thanks to the Mountain Run team.  I look dat my feet - the blisters I had treated at Dalemain had had the skin torn off by the run, so each toe was skinless and raw.  I dressed them as best as I could and swallowed some ibuprofen.  Sharon asked to tag along, the other said OK and I really wasn't bothered at this point.

Leg 13 - Ambleside to Chapel Stile

Leg:  9.0km  234m ascent

Total:  152.7km  6186m ascent

Leg time:   2:12:53

Planned total:  35:00

Total time:   35:02:17

0:02:17 behind schedule!

This was a very odd leg for me.  The climb over to Tarn Foot I lead the navigation for and knew what I was doing.  We passed more 50 runners.  At one point four fat badgers burst out of the undergrowth, startled by our passing.  Once at Chesters, I was falling asleep again.  On the flat run by Elterwater I woke to find myself standing alone on the path in the mist.  I had no idea where I was, the dream I had awoken from felt more real than this.  I looked up and down the path and gradually came to.  What the hell is going on?  I set off in what I thought was the right direction and caught the rest of the group at the Elterwater car park.  A quick dash along to the often hard to spot bridge, past the Wainwright's Inn and along the track and we were at the Chapel Stile check point.  I refused to sit down as I doubted I'd get up, but ate stew, bread, biscuits and coffee.  Still being grumpy, I wanted to get going and it felt like ages before we were on our way.  Thanks to the Howards for the welcome.

Leg 14 - Chapel Stile to Tilberthwaite

Leg:  10.6km  387m ascent

Total:  163.3km  6573m ascent

Planned time:  2:45 hours

Leg time:   2:46:22

Planned total:  37:45

Total time:   37:48:52

0:03:52 behind schedule!

It was dawn when we left the CP, although very misty.  Steve led the way along Langdale, a lot simpler in the light.  We went well around, then up to the Wrynose self dib.  Iron Man said to me in Langdale that we needed to stay under 14 minutes per km to make it in time, so I pushed hard from Blea Tarn despite my feet screaming to the contrary.  Jumping across large rocks was actually OK as it only loaded one point of my feet, and we blasted round to the road pretty quickly, although Sharon wasn't happy with the pace I was setting.  I was a lot slower going down the road - I had known I would be and needed to buy time.  The ascent around to High Tilberthwaite Farm went on for a long time.  I was so pleased when we hit the road.  At CP14 I ate a biscuit and left, knowing I would potentially struggle on this nasty last leg.  I'm sure the Lakes Lodges spread was great, but I wasn't for stopping.

Leg 15 - Tilberthwaite to Coniston

Leg:  5.7km  283m ascent

Total:  169.0km  6856m ascent

Planned time:  1:45 hours

Leg time:   1:42:13

Planned total:  39:30

Total time:   39:30:52

52 seconds off plan.  Wow.

This was it.  I couldn't fail now.  I'd gone from abject misery at Ambleside, to real dogged determination from Chapel Stile onwards.  Off I went up the steps to heaven.  Felt OK.  Then the rocky section.  Felt OK.  Then the traverse above a void you don't see on the night run.  Felt OK.  Iron Man and Sharon overtook me but never got far ahead until the summit of the pass.  I kept going upwards until the top.  I knew the descent would be hard, and I was a lot slower than usual.  Iron Man finished nearly 20 minutes before me, having been together at the start of the descent.  I felt a bit emotional here as I knew I was going to finish and it had been quite a journey.  It was a painful stumble downtime hill, then on the rough track past the Miner's Bridge, then onto smooth tarmac.  I couldn't run so kept on going.  The clapping from the pubs helped, then seeing Ben and my wife, then Alex and the Iron Man near the end was a huge thing for me.  I crossed the line, dibbed, and got taken inside.  "100 finisher" shouted the marshal and I was greeted to a huge round of applause, looking slightly sheepish - I'm not an ultra runner, this isn't for me!  Tim was still there and it was nice to get my medal from him.  I had another coffee, then we got packed and my wife drove us home.  I slept for a while on the way back.

Both a little bloated and tired at the finish:

Once at home, I had a brew and a glass of wine, then a hot bath which I fell asleep in and woke up ages later feeling very cold and blue.  I got in bed, and my wife tells me I was rambling nonsense about paying for my entry to the 100,  Next year maybe?  I got up later and we had the perfect post race tea of ribs, coleslaw and chips.  I was in bed early and slept well.  Although I was wide awake and up and about at 6:30 on the Monday morning.  I have de-roofed the blisters on my left foot, and left those on the right - think of it as an experiment to see which does better!  Having weighed myself, I found I'd lost 5kg during this event.

The evening of the finish:

Back at work today.  Pssst, wanna see my medal??

Epilogue

So there we are.  The best part of 12 months obsessing about it, and it's done.  I've done a hundred mile event.  If ever I was going to do one, this was it.  It's not properly sunk in yet but I'm really chuffed - it's made all my efforts, Iron Man's efforts and the patience and support from the family worthwhile  This is as much for my wife and the boys as anyone else.

So what have I learned?  Other than the usual stuff about trying things even if you may fail etc, the main thing is that sleep deprivation gets harder as you get older!  That was some of the freakiest stuff ever.  It has also cemented the knowledge that I couldn't have done it without the close family I have now, they really are the best anyone could wish for.

Interestingly, in the car the day after I finished Coldplay came on.  My wife told me that the Iron Man is sick of me playing Coldplay every time we go anywhere.  I laughed so much I thought I may die.

The plan and the results:

Strava results (the GPS data is wrong - a bit over distance and a lot under for ascent):

The may with comments for the family to follow:

Source: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter

kelvin

• forum hero
#553 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 07:19:19 am
A bloody marvelous achievement! Yeah. Awesome!

Enjoy the feeling of anything is possible - it lasts and lasts. I remember writing in my blog after "The best of times, the worst of times" and I guess that's how I still feel about my only ultra.

You've been a total beast - a 100 miler FFS is just unimaginable to me, especially in that sort of terrain.

Duly and deservedly wadded.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#554 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 07:33:34 am
Thanks. I'm very very pleased.
I'm thinking about giving something back and seeing if I can help out next time. Too early to decide on what's next!

kelvin

• forum hero
#555 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 08:02:18 am
Do it - the only time I've ran in the Parkruns, is when training for the ultra in 2012 and I think I ended up volunteering more times than I participated. There were a couple of times when a smile from a Marshal made all the difference to my psyche and I'd expect it to be a very rewarding experience on an event so big.

Fullest respect.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#556 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 08:52:40 am
Fantastic read Gareth and superb achievement!

Waddage... :bow:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#557 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 10:36:25 am
Too early to decide on what's next!

Too late to sign up for Mont Blanc one? A mate of mine is doing it next month!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#558 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 10:39:37 am
You need 9 points for UTMB, which really means doing 3 qualifying 100 milers in the 12 months before.  UTLD isn't a qualifier.  I'd love to do it, but I really do not have the time to invest!!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
The next drag up Scarth Gap Pass was a lot longer than the route book suggested (uphill for 230m?  more like 1230m!!).  At the summit, with another gate, there was a chap in a bivvy bag with some cans and a pizza box egging us on.  Surreal. 

Just found out this was Charlie Sharpe!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#560 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 12:58:25 pm
You need 9 points for UTMB, which really means doing 3 qualifying 100 milers in the 12 months before.  UTLD isn't a qualifier.  I'd love to do it, but I really do not have the time to invest!!

I know he did Kintyre, but had a DNF in the Great Glen, so hopefully he still has enough points?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#561 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 01:51:31 pm
Even without listening to Clodplay that sounds like an ordeal. Good effort!  :bow:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#562 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
July 29, 2015, 01:57:28 pm
Looking at John Kynaston's data only 682 people have ever finished (and 670 in under the 40 hour limit) in the 8 years it's been going.   :dance1:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#563 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
August 26, 2015, 09:09:53 am
Thanks. I'm very very pleased.
I'm thinking about giving something back and seeing if I can help out next time. Too early to decide on what's next!

One week until entry for next year opens, and I'm horribly tempted.  Oh no!   :o

comPiler

• forum hero
#564 Delamere NightRunner
November 08, 2015, 07:00:22 pm
Delamere NightRunner
8 November 2015, 1:12 pm

I've not been running much recently - I have consciously taken some time out and got in the Board Room a couple of times a week.  I'm going to start running again in February/ March to build back up to the UTLD 100 in July.

For this reason, and because the guys and girls at Epic Events have looked after me on various events, I thought I'd finally give something back.  Three o'clock yesterday afternoon saw the Iron Man and I arrive at Delamere to lend a hand.  He ended up at the registration area, and helped out with car parking before he ran in the event, finishing in a respectable 53:15.  Chris took a bunch of us to the start to set up the gantry, barriers, lights, balloons, banners, flags etc.  An efficient team had this done quite quickly.

After a brief packed lunch, us course marshals ran out onto the course.  I was stationed near the top of the high point, Old Pale Hill.  This provided a great view of both the stars and the surrounding fireworks.  I was up there a good hour before the first runners arrived, so I pointed everyone in the right direction and gave some encouragement.

Once the Grim Sweeper arrived we headed off round the last couple of miles of the course collecting the signs, then packed everything back away again.  I had a great time, and it's nice to see the event from the organiser's side.  I'd be keen to help out again in future.

So for those who took part, the crazed blood soaked doctor with the axe near the hill top was me.  Only a few of the slowest failed to survive.............

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#565 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
November 08, 2015, 10:00:27 pm
Interestingly, Gareth Swain was helping out too. We saw him ascending Walnar Scar road during the UTLD100 with a pack full of sweets. Gareth timed out at Mardale Head, and his friend stopped at Ambleside.  Gareth is in for 2016, so I'll see you there. Fewer sweets, more pork pies. That's the secret.....

comPiler

• forum hero
#566 2015 round up
January 03, 2016, 01:00:05 pm
2015 round up
31 December 2015, 11:56 am

It has been a funny year in some ways.

Sport wise the first half of the year was all about running, with a small amount of time on rock mixed in.  The few times I got out were mostly good days, apart from popping a hamstring at Roundbarn.  WiltonFest was an entertaining day out in September, and a chance to catch up with Ginnster and Probes and finally meet Mike Adams.

January

I had never been around the Guild Wheel, which felt a little remiss of me.  I ran it clockwise on a very wet and windy day, got cold in the last few miles and then had a week feeling rough.  Never mind, I'll probably have another jog around it in decent weather since it's mostly a nice route through some interesting scenery.

February

As part of my UTLD preparation I had aimed to run a marathon distance each month.  February was the Grizedale Trail 26, which I had done in 2014 with the Iron Man.  He was busy for the 2015 event so I went myself.  I was slower than last time but I wasn't too worried about that.

March

Solar Eclipse month!  The day itself I had a trip up to Higher Chelburn with the new Lancashire Bouldering guidebook.  I did quite a lot of the easier stuff and had a really good day.

I also had  visit to Stronstrey, for old times sake, although everything felt very hard and it was a very hot day.  Been a while since my last visit here.

As I mentioned above, I also went to Roundbarn for the first time and did a few things.  Damp streaks and pulling a hamstring weren't highlights.  I had a couple of months of painful physio after this visit, desperate to get sorted for July's big event.

May

First real test for the hamstring - Howgills Trail 26 with the Iron Man.  This is a great event, with most of the climbing in one big lump within the first five miles.  Again, slower than last time but all miles in the legs.

I had also entered the LDWA Red Rose 100 miler this month.  I was going well up to 68km (Downham), but psychology wasn't right and I called it a day.  Disappointing, but again it was good to get more distance in.

June

Since I'd missed the Buttermere to Dalemain recce due to my hamstring issues, the Iron Man and I decided to recce this ourselves.  We rented a cottage in Thornthwaite as a family, and the Iron Man popped up for a day.  We had a good 53km recce, making an excellent time, and a good weekend in general.  Great weather, and a lot different from what was in store for the Lake District in November/ December.

The other event in June was the Three Rings of Shap.  Iron Man and I set off on this one, but he had some knee issues so we did the first two rings (68km) then stopped - no point in getting injured the month before the Lakeland 100.

July

This was the one.  The UTLD Lakeland 100 completed.  Amazing.  This was a huge undertaking that neither the Iron Man nor I were vaguely sure we could achieve.  Goes to show what's possible.  And then in a euphoric state I entered again for 2016.  Iron Man was more sensible.  I think I'll have a look at poles for next time.

August

Two week in France on the Vendee was a great family holiday, although the hire car was shocking.  Lots of sea food on the barbecue and really nice to get away and chill.  We flew each way this time, which was probably quite fortuitous considering potential issues at Calais due to the migrant situation.

November

I'd not been doing very much running at all after the Lakeland 100, but I opted to marshal the Delamere night runner event which was really good fun, and nice to give something back.  I'll be helping out at the Rivington night runner in January, so may see some of you there.

Cooked a goose as well, which was excellent and therefore provided fat for the roasties at Christmas - this may become a new tradition.

December

Another great family Christmas, albeit fewer numbers this year.  Food was fantastic, the presents were great and we all had a brilliant day.  And all the leftovers have now gone, and we got a great selection of meals out of them.

Less good things from 2015

Quite a lot has happened this year.  The Charlie Hebdo shootings in Paris was a shocking start to 2015.  November brought more Paris attacks, another reminder of terrorism close to home in a city I have visited a number of times.

Over the past two months the weather has been the other big issue.  Floods in the Lake District were shocking to see.  The family were on the annual CentreParcs trip (Penrith) where the weather was terrible and we sat watching breaking news of widespread flooding.  This must have been a terrible time for the locals, and some familiar features suffered.  The collapse of the Pooley Bridge bridge was particularly poignant as we ran over it doing the Lakeland 100 only four months before.

On a personal note, it has now been over a year since we have had contact with my daughters.  After four years of difficult times with me ex, matters came to a head at the end of 2014 when her ongoing attempts to threaten or blackmail us meant it was no longer safe to see the kids.  An incredibly hard decision to make, but there wasn't really an alternative at that point.  We have had no communication from them since, which is no doubt what was planned.  Interestingly, as soon as contact was stopped I got a letter from child maintenance service wanting more money due to reduced contact - very interesting timing.  Since then I have learned that CMS are entirely on the side of the claiming parent, who seems to be able to do anything whilst the paying parent has to do everything within a week or CMS come after them.  I can now see why people dress up as Batman, as there is no other choice.  It's just a shame some people have no self respect and behave despicably whilst still wanting more money.

The last couple of weeks showed us more rain, and more flooding this time in places like Yorkshire and our nearby village of Croston.  Croston has flooded before and this time was worse than ever.  We've lent our dehumidifier to the Sports Hall for people to use, but the place has taken a battering.

Anyway, enough of negativity, let's end the year positively.  I'm up to 53 out of 100 books read for the BBC list, slowly getting there. A Prayer for Owen Meany was a highlight, excellent book.  On my way through David Copperfield at the moment.  Some interesting looking books to go.

So, our smaller family unit is doing very well and we are all happy and looking forward to another year.  We are very lucky with what we have.

So, 2016 aims?  Obviously the Lakeland 100 is the main sporty thing this year, but I want to get back out on rock after a bit of a washout year.  Other than that, maybe drop a bit of weight and do more core strengthening.  Apart from that, more family time, a good holiday and generally more of the same good time.

All the best to everyone for 2016.  Happy New Year, and maybe see you out and about.

comPiler

• forum hero
April update.  Fast walking with a small amount of rock sprinkles
5 April 2016, 11:49 am

I've not blogged for a while, mostly because I've not done anything worth mention, so it's all saved up into this one post.  Again, a lot of what I've been up to is based around the Lakeland 100 training (or lack thereof) so here's a bit of a round up.

After how much I enjoyed marshalling at Delamere NightRunner, I also marshalled at the Rivington NightRunner 16/1/16 and at Parbold Duathlon 13/3/16.  The former was on a very cold and snowy night, and getting my car all the way along George's Lane to Belmont Road was hard going.  It was even worse coming back down and I had to get a tow from a passing 4x4 enthusiast.  Great experience though, and I bet it was a great one to run with all the snow.  Parbold was a good one to do too, a tough duathlon and nice to be able to hand medals to the SHARKS who took part.

20th March saw a visit from the BeardyBeast.  After pastries and coffee at Chez Lank, we opted to look at Knowle Heights (yeah, not sure why after all) and dropped R-man and Pasty Lord a text.  R-man agreed to meet us there, but Rick was apparently doing some DIY (crap excuse methinks).  Anyway, I was crap and did very little.  Beardy Beast got the FA of a 7a wall, which R-man repeated, and R-man got the FA of a new 7a+.  Classic esoterica of the highest degree, but a fun day out and good to catch up.

R-man repeating "The erotic fiction of Robyn Moolah" 7a

R-man, FA of "Darkthrone" 7a+

Nik on "Hash Lee" 7a+

Other than a few other plays in the Board Room, climbing has taken second fiddle to running.  14/3/16 I ran the Rivington Trail 26 route as part of training, finding it hard and being slower than the last two times I've done it.

This, and previous experience, prompted me to buy some poles as an experiment.  The first test of those was a 19km stomp with the Iron Man.  Hills certainly felt better, and he thought I was quicker (well, that's a relative term).

The next pole test was the Lakeland 100 recce two days ago.  I didn't do the Coniston to Buttermere recce this year as I had taken some time off running, so this was the first I've done this time.  This was the 33 mile section between Buttermere and Dalemain, containing some of my least favourite sections including parts I slept through during the 2015 event.

Mentally, I split the Lakeland 100 into four sections.

• Coniston to Buttermere  42.0km 2053m ascent
  • Buttermere to Dalemain  52.8km  1838m ascent
  • Dalemain to Ambleside  48.9km  2061m ascent
  • Ambleside to Coniston  25.3km  904m ascent
Clearly, getting to Dalemain means you've completed more than half the distance (94.8km out of 169km) and the ascent (3891m out of 6856m) which is a big psychological boost.  My aim has always been to hit Dalemain before the 20 hour mark.

The recce at the weekend can be broken down into four legs, as per the road book:

• Buttermere to Braithwaite  10.5km  573m ascent
  • Braithwaite to Blencathra  13.7km  478m ascent
  • Blencathra to Dockray  12.3km  417m ascent
  • Dockray to Dalemain  16.3km  370m ascent
I used the poles for most of the time, except I put them on the bad between Sail pass and the Spooney Green Lane ascent.  Up and over Sail Pass felt fine, the bit along the A66 was as boring as ever.  I got to Blencathra in under two hours, feeling good.  After this I started to suffer from the heat, a perennial problem for me and not helped as there was no water at Braithwaite and I only drank 750ml and ate nothing before Blencathra.

The altered section of the route and the climb to the Old Coach Road got me feeling worse and worse.  I was knackered, hot, sweat pouring and demoralised.  I was very glad to get to Dockray where I ate a couple of my sandwiches and had a lot of water.  Looking back at the Strava times I still did well, so maybe the poles do help!

Jogging down the road to Dockray village whilst eating was OK, and I started to feel a bit better (well, less bad) through Aira Force.  The trek around Gowbarrow felt reasonable too.  I got to Dalemain after 8hrs37mins - when Iron Man and I did the informal recce last year we got to Dacre in 8:34, without the last 2km to Dalemain, so despite feeling like crap my times were OK.

I'm aiming to get a marathon plus distance done each month from now, and practice with the poles.  My shoulders are aching after Sunday, so the muscles have clearly been used.  Let's see how things go...

comPiler

• forum hero
#568 Seven weeks to go
June 08, 2016, 07:00:04 pm
Seven weeks to go
8 June 2016, 4:14 pm

The last few months seem to have flown by, and we are nearly halfway through 2016. That's a bit scary.

Other than a few snatched board sessions, I've not climbed much at all. I've tried to get out running a bit, and done a couple of enjoyable events.

7/5/16 I did the Malhamdale Trail Challenge, which was a nice low key event. 22 miles and some nice hills, on a really hot day. No medal for this, just pie and peas at the end. I went a bit slower with the heat, but came in under 5 hours which I was happy with. I complained about how hot it was, but was soon to realise it wasn't too bad!

15/5/16 The Iron Man and I did the Howgills Trail event, me doing the 26 and him the 13. It was even hotter than last weekend, so my time was slower than last year. Disappointing, but it's all miles in the legs so no real problem.

A few weeks back, LAA and I had a wander up near Wycoller. We went over Lad Law, and I noted the Abbott Stone up top which has a hard looking wall- crap edge right hand, thin mono dish left and a pop to a side pull sloper thing. There were quite a few other blocks up there but nothing of consequence. In the valley heading back to the village is a hippo block which may yield a decent sloping roof problem, and further on another outcrop opposite Fosters Leap, which looks like it has some easy stuff on it. I may go back if I ever get on rock regularly.

29/5/16 The Iron Man and I did the Pooley Bridge to Ambleside recce. This was the hottest day of the three, really nasty and no wind. I went through 5 litres of fluid and still it wasn't enough. 33km in and the Iron Man had to call it a day at Kentmere, partly due to heat and partly knees. I plodded on to Ambleside, but the 29 miles took a lot longer than last time. Considering the timings on the 100 are tighter this year, I'll need to think about where to push it.

Last weekend we had a run in the Lakes, ticking 5 Wainwrights - Steel Fell, Beda Fell, Angletarn Pikes, Brock Crags and Place Fell. Good day out with some good hills. The weekend after next we are doing the Nav4 Pennine 39, which will be my 23rd marathon/ ultra distance. Considering I said in 2012 I'd do one marathon, that seems ridiculous.

comPiler

• forum hero
#569 Four weeks and counting
July 01, 2016, 01:00:06 pm
Four weeks and counting
1 July 2016, 12:44 pm

Well, a lot has happened since the last blog.  Brexit, the collapse of labour's cabinet, our PM's resignation and the subsequent battle for his job.  All very worrying.  From the Lanky point of view, I've tried to get some miles in as well as some ascent.  Iron Man and I have had some trips up Pendle Hill and the Lakes, basically trying to find the hilliest bits we can.  We also did the Pennine 39 which was an excellent low key event, taking in some great scenery in an area I have been remiss in not visiting.     No more events planned until the big day.  I'm going to try to get out for another longish run with hills, but then ease off again to avoid any risk of injury.   For the same reason I've not been on the Board at all.  I did, however, invest in a pair of Montane Minimus trousers and a jacket.  These pack to less than half the size of my old waterproofs, and weight a lot less too.  That leaves more room in the pack for pork pies.

comPiler

• forum hero
#570 UTLD 100 2016 - a sorry state
August 04, 2016, 01:00:11 pm
UTLD 100 2016 - a sorry state
4 August 2016, 12:11 pm

The pre-amble

After a successful completion last year I was keen for another go at this iconic race, hoping to better my time and learn from last year’s experience.  The family had booked a little cottage in Coniston, just up the road from the bridge, to use as a base.  My wife and the kids planned to help out at HQ on an ad hoc basis, and the Iron Man was up to drive the Broom Wagon picking up the broken – he had to be at Coniston for 8am to help out and collect his minibus.  The piles of kit and food were apparently very impressive.

IronMan ready to drive his minibus:

We arrived in the early afternoon and I got myself registered, weighed (4kg less than last year- really??) and dibber attached.  After last year’s completion I felt more relaxed about 2016, and therefore slept a bit better on the Thursday night (falling asleep was a big bugbear last time).  I’d also packed some caffeine pills just in case.  I had tightened up my timings in my plan, mainly to beat the new and tighter cut off times up to Blencathra, but also to aim for a time an hour quicker than last year if I could keep ahead of plan.

Marc at the briefing, having a basketball moment:

Terry receiving his medal and being complimented on his cup:

We had some lunch in one of the local pubs, I had baked potato and tuna mayo.  We then got booked into the cottage and then went to the briefing.  After this it was a case of getting into the pen and awaiting the end of Nessun Dorma, then getting going.

The event

Leg 1 - Coniston to Seathwaite

Leg:  11.3km  659m ascent

Total:  11.3km  659m ascentPlanned time:  1:50

Leg time:   1:47:41

Planned total:  1:50

Total time:   1:47:41

0:23:19 ahead of schedule

I ran as far as the steepening in the track to the miners bridge.  I carried the poles until Walnar Scar Road, as the initial climb is quite tight and I didn’t want to whack anyone with them.  All went Ok on this leg and got to Seathwaite feeling good.  David Cowburn passed me a couple of minutes before the CP, although he’s a lot quicker than me so I was surprised he wasn’t miles in front.  Quick dib, drink and biscuits and off.  This year I took a small plastic bag to put a few biccies in to nibble between checkpoints, which worked well.

Leg 2 - Seathwaite to BootLeg:  11.1km  385m ascentTotal:  22.4km  1044m ascentPlanned time:  1:55Leg time:   2:06:42Planned total:  3:45Total time:   3:54:230:09:23 behind scheduleThe climb past Wallowbarrow went better than last year, and it felt cooler.  Grassguards was sopping wet though, and with water to mid shin in places wet feet were inevitable.  This is where it went wrong for me this year.  I’d worn my Inov8 GTX shoes, which were great last year for dry feet.  This year, once filled with water, they stayed filled.  It was tough going through the bogs to arrive at Boot, so a bit slower than planned.  Another quick stop and away.Leg 3 - Boot to Wasdale HeadLeg:  8.6km  297m ascent

Total:  31.0km  1341m ascent

Planned time:  1:45

Leg time:   1:46:59

Planned total:  5:30

Total time:   5:41:22

0:11:22 behind schedule

Since there was minimal moonlight, the torch was on shortly after the CP.  The new compulsory mug was actually quite handy as I repeatedly took the brew with me on the first bit of each leg, which I think saved time.  Unsurprisingly this leg was very wet too, and the standing water around Burnmoor Tarn just added to the foot problems.  I was glad to arrive in Wasdale, as this feels like the start of the event in some ways.  The usual Stroller disco was in full force so I had some soup and sandwich, and took some coffee with me to head up Black Sail.

Leg 4 - Wasdale Head to ButtermereLeg:  11.0km  712m ascent

Total:  42.0km  2053m ascent

Leg time:   2:58:26

Planned total:  8:30

Total time:   8:39:48

0:09:48 behind schedule
Now the work begins.  This ascent felt OK this time, maybe the poles helped more than you may think.  Up and up to the gate, then down the tricksy path to the YHA.  The Scarth Gap climb started OK, but then I felt really sick and was heaving as I went along.  I hadn’t eaten since the CP, so I suspected it was a case of needing more on board.  I had a mouthful of water, which very nearly came back.  Using my mother’s old technique of deep breaths, I managed to keep the nausea under control whilst I nibbled on some biscuits.  By the time I got to Buttermere I felt OK.  I walked the lakeside path with a guy (Andy Cole, I think looking at times and John Kynaston’s photos.  He finishes in 37:29!) whose plan was to walk most of the course.  This is what I ended up doing from here on in.  Soup and a brew at Buttermere and off again.

Leg 5 - Buttermere to BraithwaiteLeg:  10.5km  573m ascentTotal:  52.5km  2626m ascentPlanned time:  2:30 hoursLeg time:   2:28:15Planned total:  11:00Total time:   11:08:030:08:03 behind schedule

This feels like the biggest single climb on the course, and it felt the same this time around.  There had been some land slides from the floods earlier in the year, but in general the ascent went well.  Andy caught me at the Sail Pass summit after having spent longer in the checkpoint, so we stomped down to the checkpoint together.  We went slightly differently at the final drop, but it all ends up in the same place.  Rice pudding for me, and Andy ate two bowls.  I was out and plodding pretty quickly – this was problem number two.Last year I changed socks at Braithwaite.  This year, the tightened cut off time at Blencathra was preying on my mind for some reason.  Despite being well ahead of cut offs, I didn’t feel that I could take the time for foot care at this point.  My entire focus was getting past Blencathra – I was to pay for this mistake later.Leg 6 - Braithwaite to Blencathra Centre

Leg:  13.7km  478m ascent

Total:  66.2km  3104m ascent

Planned time:  3:00 hours

Leg time:   2:40:36

Planned total:  14:00

Total time:   13:48:39

00:11:21 ahead of schedule

I was 26 minutes ahead of last year at the end of this leg, mainly as I wasn’t asleep for any of it this time.  The dull bit along the A66 was dull, but seemed to pass quite quickly.  Spoony Lane ascent went fine, and the whole thing was pretty good really. Apart from some pain under my left foot, but more of that later.The obligatory big up for Little Dave’s Mum’s chocolate cake – I signed the card that was there for her as a thank you – and off I went again.Leg 7 - Blencathra Centre to Dockray

Leg:  12.3km  417m ascent

Total:  78.5km  3521m ascent

Leg time:   2:32:17

Planned total:  16:30

Total time:   16:20:56

00:09:04 ahead of schedule

I still don’t really like this leg, even with the amended course and new dib under the A66.  It’s just that coach road.  It’s very uneven, and this was where the feet started to really suffer.  Why I still didn’t change into my dry socks I really don’t know.  The ascent to the coach road was very wet this year, and once on the track itself I just got my head down and put one foot in front of the other.  Half way along I became pretty bloated and my guts were most unhappy.  I was glad to get to the checkpoint, as were my feet, and went straight to the portaloo for some relief.  Phew.  After that I was OK for some soup and sandwiches.Leg 8 - Dockray to Dalemain

Leg:  16.3km  370m ascent

Total:  94.8km  3891m ascent

Leg time:   3:24:59

Planned total:  19:30

Total time:   19:45:55

0:15:55 behind schedule!

Last year IronMan and I ran the downhill road section – this year I couldn’t due to the pain in my feet.  I was starting to find that going downhill was a struggle, but the ups were fine.  It hurt a lot going past Aira Force, but the Gowbarrow contour was OK. I got quite frustrated with the group in front of me who I felt were going too slowly for my plan and ended up going past them before the road crossing and field section.  They all caught me up on the rocky road on the Dalemain estate, where I slowed right down again due to the pain.  At Dalemain I sat on my towel with bare feet for half an hour – trench foot had set in and I hoped allowing them to dry would sort me out. The right foot seemed to do OK, but the left remained very macerated and painful.  A few blisters going around, but nothing major.  Knowing how boggy it had been, I opted to put my second pair of Inov8 GTXs on rather than my Hokas that I used last year.  I think this was the final mistake that broke the camel’s back.Leg 9 - Dalemain to Howtown

Leg:  11.5km  294m ascent

Total:  106.3km  4185m ascent

Planned time:  2:30

Leg time:   2:42:16

Planned total:  22:00

Total time:   22:28:11

0:28:11 behind schedule!

I set off with brew in hand and went slowly initially (and slower later!).  The right sole felt a lot better after being dried and having new shoes and socks.  The left one had improved but was still very painful.  Passing through Pooley Bridge and up to the Cockpit went OK, and the long down section I ended up walking all of.  Interesting my leg time was still much the same as last year’s when we ran this section.  Down to Howtown for some sweets and biscuits – the team here seemed keen to get rid of their stocks and I ended up with a big bag full of sweets which I ended up finishing off two days later.Leg 10 - Howtown to Mardale Head

Leg:  15.2km  765m ascent

Total:  121.5km  4950m ascent

Planned time:  4 hours

Leg time:   4:03:09

Planned total:  26:00

Total time:   26:31:20

31:20 behind schedule

Still a leg I don’t like.  Perversely, it had been lovely and cool and cloudy up to setting off and then the sun came out (damn you Fusedale!).  The plod up Fusedale was done in warmer temperatures, but I managed (going uphill still OK).  Heading over High Kop  was really boggy again and we passed a guy in distress (turned out to be Gareth Swain who had entered last year and stopped at Mardale Head – I’d spoken to him when we were marshalling the Delamere nightrunner).  His mate was dropping down to Haweswater to raise the alarm.The descent wasn’t nice this time, but once on the side of Haweswater my feet slowed me down more.  I was left behind by the others in the group I had climbed Fusedale with, and I started getting more stomach cramps and bloating.  On and on the path goes – I think it’s only about 6km but it feels a lot longer.  I was on my own now but kept on moving, although the rocky path was agony.  A couple of km from the checkpoint my stomach cramps got a lot worse and I was forced to nip behind a bush.  Feeling better, I then managed to make it to Mardale Head with little issue.  This is usually the point where mentally I know I’ve got it nailed, but this time was very different.  I was really happy to get here but also well aware of the last 30 miles I still had to cover, although the remaining thirteen and a half hours should be enough…

Leg 11 - Mardale Head to Kentmere

Leg:  10.4km  511m ascent

Total:  131.9km  5461m ascent

Leg time:   3:29:56

Planned total:  29:00

Total time:   30:01:16

1:01:16 behind schedule

The wheels felt like they were starting to come off, and looking at timings (see later) they certainly were.  Gatescarth Pass climb was alright (climbs still went well) but the nasty drop down the other side certainly did not.  Everything I stood on caused pain, and I was going ever more slowly.  I was being overtaken left right and centre now and people were asking if I was OK.  Not a good state of affairs.  I hobbled onwards and was so pleased to hit the tarmac just before the bridge in Sadgill.  The next up section went OK (No hallucinations this year), and then the long drop to the road felt rotten and seemed to last forever.  My brain was going round thinking about timings and what I had left to do, and I was coming to the conclusion that I couldn’t cope with another ten hours of this pain.  I was going to stop at Kentmere and have done – I didn’t feel this was giving up as I simply couldn’t do much more than hobble forward now.Leg 12 - Kentmere to Ambleside

Leg:  11.8km  491m ascent

Total:  143.7km  5952m ascent

Leg time:   3:29:56

Planned total:  32:00

Total time:   33:58:21

1:58:21 behind schedule

Whilst the last leg had only taken a few minutes longer than last year, it felt infinitely longer and had been pretty grim and I was now suffering a lot.  I managed to drag myself up the steps into the checkpoint, and there was the IronMan to greet me.  For some reason I hadn’t expected to see him at all during the event, so it was a nice surprise for him to be there.  I’m sure I didn’t look great at this point, and I recall moaning about my feet.  However, since he was there I couldn’t drop out now even though the cut off for Ambleside was under four hours away.  Eventually I ate some pasta, and stubbornly walked out the door as the IronMan drove his bus with a couple of runner in it in the other direction.  I knew I was to be in for some fun.  I got pretty cold at this point and ended up putting on both my thermal layer and my Minimus jacket.Once more, the uphill was not too bad and I rapidly overtook a lady called Lizzie (who would pretty soon leave me behind on the other side).  I felt good on the uphill, as long as I was extremely careful where I put my feet.  Once at the top, I again found that I was struggling.  The rough track and the descent were a real trial, and Lizzie passed me easily (to finish in 39:56).  It seemed a long way down to Troutbeck, but the climb around Robin Lane was not too bad (uphill again) until the drop down to the left.  Slow again here, and then came the woods.  What can I say?  This was horrible, the tree roots and rocks were misery on every step and I wished it was over.  Once on the tarmac I had hoped to speed up but it wan’t to be, and the cut off time was fast approaching.  I was going to be timed out before hitting Ambleside.Through the back roads I went, and for some reason struggled a bit finding the archway you pass through off the main road.  A marshal in the street egged me into a “run”, pushing me to make it in time.  I did, by a matter of under two minutes, and passed straight through (despite me telling him I was done, he seemed to compel me onwards) into the park.  A couple of guys left with me, asking if I thought I could do the next leg in the allotted two hours – I said I doubted it.Leg 13 - Ambleside to Chapel Stile

Leg:  9.0km  234m ascent

Total:  152.7km  6186m ascent

Planned total:  35:00Once more, I managed fine on the ascent and kept up with the two guys without difficulty.  Once on the rocky open fell road, I hit the descent which leads down to Skelwith Bridge and was really in a mess.  I started the drop down but after a few hundred yards I’d used up 40 minutes and got nowhere fast.  I was hugely indecisive, turning back and then going on, but eventually admitted to myself that I was in no shape to make the next CP.  I turned round and went back to Ambleside – the 40 minute uphill took me 1:20 on the way down.At Ambleside, the checkpoint was closed, packed up and locked.  I had to phone Chris to let him know, as I was still active on the system and they wouldn’t have known where I was.  A minibus was duly dispatched. I texted my wife to let her know, and when she got the text she thought it was the update to say I was at Chapel Stile.  ‘Fraid not.  A bit of a text mix up meant that she came to pick me up, but the minibus got to me first.  Back at base I was logged as stopped, picked up my drop bag and wandered back towards the cottage.  My wife picked me up on the way, and took me back.  Taking my shoes off revealed blood blisters over the toes, and nasty maceration under the left foot.  A bath and then a few hours sleep revived me, and frustratingly I felt generally far better than last time.  My left foot and ankle are like a sausage though, really swollen and painful.

Analysis

William Naismith described a calculation for walking speed way back in 1892, essentially stating 1 hour for every 5km plus an hour for every 600m ascent (although he described it in imperial).  If we apply this to the stages of the Lakeland 100, we can see where the wheels (feet?) came off this year.  Basically I’ve divided the distance by 5, the ascent by 600 and added them together.  Comparing this to the time I took on each stage gives a ratio of actual vs expected speed.

I’m a bit surprised that the Leg to Mardale Head hasn’t a higher figure too, as I hate that bit and it felt like a long slog along the side of Haweswater.  Dalemain to Howtown is slightly skewed as I spent half an hour at Dalemain checkpoint.

Part of me is pretty gutted that I didn’t finish, clearly not the result I wanted.  However, up until my feet became unmanageable I was on for a reasonably comfortable finish and physically I was pretty good.

Interesting stuff from Mr Kynaston as usual (with pic of Mr Cole).

So what now?Next year.  I don’t want to end this tale on a low, so I think I’ll have to have another try next year.  I have, however, learned more and can think about how to apply these.

• It is possible to complete the event in time whilst walking the whole thing.  Whether this is desirable or not I don’t know, but my times weren’t too shabby until it all went wrong.
  • GoreTex shoes were good last time, but certainly don’t convey advantage once water is in them.
  • I should have stopped to change socks before getting in as much of a mess.
  • Whilst I failed this time, I have one completion and one 90 mile retirement under my belt.  This is a reasonable record to take forward to next year.
Bottom line?  I need to sort out a method to avoid foot issues and blisters.  This is always my problem, and I’ve never retired due to anything else.  As far back as I can remember I've always suffered from blisters, whether doing running, fell walking, Scottish winter, Alpine or whatever.  I have 12 months to find a solution……

See you all on the trails, and at the Lakeland 100 2017.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#571 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
August 04, 2016, 04:42:41 pm
Hey GCW, I was tracking my partners brother and kept an eye on your progress, gutted for you when I noticed, I thought you were in when you'd clocked in at Ambleside. Brutal.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#572 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
August 05, 2016, 08:39:05 am
Supreme effort regardless. Well done!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#573 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
August 05, 2016, 09:15:30 am
Good write up. Good effort!
What socks were you wearing?
Western state 100 runners tend to wear Injinji socks and Hoka shoes. The Hoka's are only really suitable for trails though so I'm not sure how suitable they'll be on sections of the UTLD100. Injinji socks are awesome though. I've ran 60 miles in them and no blisters at all.

comPiler

• forum hero
#574 September already
September 05, 2016, 07:00:12 pm
September already
5 September 2016, 4:33 pm

Thanks to Probes and SA Chris for their positive comments on UKB.  Some people have asked me what socks and shoes I wear, including Plattsy.  The answer currently is some twinskin socks with Inov8 282 GTXs, which may be the problem as my feet can get pretty hot.  I have got some Injinjis but the first time I wore them I got a heel hot spot, although I did try new shoes as well.

I am currently looking to change the set up and plan to get some longer distance stuff done over the next 12 months to experiment and hopefully get a better combo.  I think I'm in the Lakeland 100 2017, just awaiting formal confirmation.  IronMan is in since he marshalled this year.

In the meantime, here's an old video I found on the hard drive - Pig in a Pokey at Nont Sarah's.  Total class, and (whilst not essential) the double toe hook is awesome!

from GCW on Vimeo.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal