UKBouldering.com

Wafflings of a Lanky Punter (Read 208856 times)

comPiler

• forum hero
#125 Wabby Leg
October 22, 2010, 01:00:16 am
Wabby Leg
21 October 2010, 8:31 pm

Days of rain- 117

Dry days- 177

After dropping the Blobs off I collected a parcel from the Post Office depot, which turned out to be my signed copy of the Real Thing DVD.  Then I went to a running shop nearby, and was made to run up and down a lot.  I think I ran for about 30 minutes in total, and it seems that my left foot rolls a lot when running.  This, I suspect, explains the left knee pain I'm still getting.  So now I have some shoes that will hopefully reduce problems.

Later on I've watched the Real Thing commentry, amusing in places but didn't quite live up to what I expected.  Still worthwhile.  This evening I did a few pull ups and one arm work.  Not many though.  I may hit the wall tomorrow.  Then Sunday I want to get out somewhere, as usual I don't know where.  We shall flex.

Source: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter

comPiler

• forum hero
#126 West View
October 23, 2010, 01:00:29 am
West View
22 October 2010, 9:28 pm

Days of rain- 118

Dry days- 177

I reluctantly had a flu jab at work, so my left arm is very painful.  And of course I opted to go to the wall.  Probes was already these, and the GasMan turned up later on.  This set of problems feel very hard.  I managed a couple of the V5s, but nothing harder.  GasMan is off to New Zealand in a couple of months, for a year.  All change.

The knee held up OK tonight although I didn't do anything tweaky.  I may try a cautious run with the new shoes at some point, need to get back to training.  I may head to Earl again this weekend if the rain decides to stop.

comPiler

• forum hero
#127 Kebs Revisit
October 25, 2010, 01:00:16 am
Kebs Revisit
24 October 2010, 6:54 pm

Days of rain- 119

Dry days- 178

Well, by the time the family Lank was ready toady it was 11am.  I opted for the Kebs as I couldn't face any more failure at Earl.  It was cold, but the sun was blazing and the skies were blue.

I parked at the Sportsman's end as the Bridestone end's parking was rammed.  I've got a few things at the Kebs that I want to do.  Jerry's is on my 2010 list, that bastard Cheeseblock 8b arete needs putting to bed, Cleopatra needs topping out, Cheeseblock needs a proper go, and Crucifixion needs a spot.

It was busy busy.  A couple of dudes were seeing how much chalk would stick to Cleopatra, so I kept going and had a look at the Tilted Pinnacle.  The Worm kicked my arse, the sandiness didn't help.  I looked at Earpache [sic] and failed on that too.  Onwards and upwards.

Jerry's was covered in Germans, and was all day.  There's a lump come off low down (I don't use it) that was causing issues.  I carried on and ended up at the Cheeseblock.  Which meant I had to try the fooking left arete.  I put it off by trying Cheeseblock, tickling the flake/sidepull but no more.  And then I could put it off no longer, the arete called.  I couldn't remember how I'd done it before and after 15 minutes of failing, I looked up the on the iPhone.  Once I had the sequence I was managing OK, but the thing was in the blazing sun so no tick was forthcoming.  I moved on.  At least I refined the sequence for the top.

Damned Spanky.  A "morpho" problem if there ever was one.  For some reason I remembered Jim asking if it had been done without the jump start.  And a seed was planted.  I managed the move to the left hand hold after pulling on.  However, I wasn't getting the hold right which made the last moves harder.  Then I realised the flake looooow down provided a good start for a sitter.  The sit start was easy to get into the stand up moves, which meant it was still frustrating.  After a while I managed to get the LH hold, foot up and slap the RH up.  First try I fell off the slap to the top sloper.  Arse.  After a rest and a Prince biscuit brought back from Font, I was staring at that last slap again.  I went for it and didn't quite make it- my right hand was sliding off.  I slapped again and managed to hold it.  Then after some scrabbling I was up, done.  It felt a notch harder than the French start, I'd guess 7b.

After this I wandered back towards the Sportsman's.  I stopped at Out Of Sight, as I was keen to look at the V8 wall to the right.  After checking on YorkshireGrit.com I got stuck in.  The holds are shit, and after a few attempted sequences I ended up pulling on and dynoing for the top.  Eventually I was gettin gfingers over the top, but the left hold tore a hole in my index tip so it was time to go home.

But all this makes me think.  I know I waffled on about damage at Brownstones and wondered if I was partly to blame for the promotion of Lancashire Bouldering.  I've climbed at the Kebs for the last 10 plus years, and more recently the erosion has become more and more evident, especially as I go there less frequently.  The sneaky smears I remember are now huge eroded scoops.  Jerry's arete is a scrittle fest.  Bridestones, a victim of its own popularity.

So where does our responsibility lie?  I personally think a lot of the erosion at the Kebs is due to poor footwork and bicycle feet.  So what should we do?  Restrict the climbing to people with good footwork?  I'd be screwed then.  There's a balance between getting newbies into the sport, and management of numbers to limit damage.  It seems to me things seem to be swinging towards the newbies, but as bouldering gets more popular things will only get worse.  This sort of conclusion could depress me, but I'm hoping that lessons will be learned and the future of bouldering will be secure.  I'd hate for all the classics to be ruined forever.

Anyway, here's a video.  The ticks were already there and THE SLOPER DOES NOT NEED ANY MORE BRUSHING FOOLS.

from GCW on Vimeo.

On a separate note, I've now got to the final stage of Super Mario Bros on Blob 1's DS.  It looks .

comPiler

• forum hero
#128 Wads at West View
October 27, 2010, 01:00:20 am
Wads at West View
26 October 2010, 8:20 pm

Days of rain- 121

Dry days- 178

Everyone seems to have been at West View tonight.  I'd arranged to meet the Ginnster there just after 6 and Weak Sam was there when I arrived, so I had a bit of banter.  I did some of the easier stuff to warm up, but finger tape on the split tip was annoying.

Later on TanMan arrived, as did Mr and Mrs Nike Air and Mr Waffles.  Nike Air seems to have had a good week with a flash of Balance it Is, and the boys (and lady) set to work crushing.  I managed the green V6 over on the right, the only one I've managed in this set.  The red V7 at the left end felt possible too.  The Ginnster certainly looks stronger and has better footwork, let's just hope he can nail a 7a before mini Ginnster arrives.

So the clocks change this weekend so the evenings will be darker.  So I will have to make the most of the weekends.  I'm strangely keen to get back on the 7b right of Out Of Sight, once the finger heals that is.  

Just finished SuperMario, so quite pleased!  Peurile I know.

The Font forecast looks ace this week, so I am expecting some BeardyBeast crush news soon.......

comPiler

• forum hero
#129 Rematch
October 28, 2010, 07:00:05 pm
Rematch
28 October 2010, 1:11 pm

Days of rain- 122

Dry days- 179

A few spare hours this morning say me back at the Kebs.  Having rained all night I wasn't too hopeful, but Out of Sight block was pretty dry.  I had a look at the 7b wall again, but I think conditions were poor today as I struggled pulling on for a while.  Eventually I was managing to get going on it and was slapping the top, but it's so gritty it's hard to hold.  I also tried doing it as a rock onto the left heel- this felt like it'd work, but it would need better conditions.  All this had busted my right shoulder anyway, so time to move on.

After this I did the start of Cleopatra a few times, but couldn't work out the sitter.  The top was damp so still no top out.  Things to come back to.

It started raining not long after I got back, so I suppose I should be pleased to get on the rock at all.

comPiler

• forum hero
#130 (No subject)
October 30, 2010, 01:00:21 am

29 October 2010, 11:12 pm

Pumpkin carving time again.

comPiler

• forum hero
#131 Pumpkin
October 30, 2010, 07:00:13 am
Pumpkin
29 October 2010, 11:12 pm

Pumpkin carving time again.

comPiler

• forum hero
#132 Holidays etc
November 02, 2010, 06:00:07 pm
Holidays etc
2 November 2010, 3:02 pm

Days of rain- 125

Dry days- 181

Poor signal here so brief Blog.  This morning I took advantage of the car free environment and went for a run.  3 miles in 18:45.  The knee felt OK at the time but since then it's got pretty sore.  I'll have to see how it feels before going out in the morning.  Took the kids to the pool this afternoon, and tried to get Blob 1 to cycle around.

comPiler

• forum hero
#133 Intermittent WiFi
November 03, 2010, 06:00:27 pm
Intermittent WiFi
3 November 2010, 4:36 pm

Days of rain- 126

Dry days- 181

Another run this morning, 30 seconds quicker this time.  I think my distance measure is a little out- my average would be 15kmh if it was right and I don't believe that for a second.  In the pool this afternoon I tried breast stroke, only to confirm that it's a bad stroke to do with a bad knee.  Oh dear.

So 11 days (I think) and counting to this 10k. Uh oh.

comPiler

• forum hero
#134 The Same Old Shite
November 07, 2010, 12:00:09 am
The Same Old Shite
6 November 2010, 7:51 pm

Days of rain- 129

Dry days- 181

Once again I didn't have long to get out today.  I also had to go via the Post Office to collect a parcel that turned out to be the new head for my tripod.  A perfect bit of timing for once.

I headed to the Kebs, although it felt a bit warm.  I had a wander to the Cheeseblock to try my Nemesis Scrittle Arete and it felt hard today.  The big cow sh*t under it was just an omen.  I managed to get to the top out from 2 moves in, but the top out still kicked my arse.  A few people wandered past to tell me that it was rarely done as it was scrittly at the top.  Cheers, news to me. The left hand sloper felt awful so I moved along.

As I had the ne tripod I had a play on Damned Spanky Sitter, and had a go at getting a few LagerStarFish angles.  It felt hard today and I didn't link the  whole thing so the video is a stitch of failures.  After this I wandered back to the car and went round to the Sportsman's end for a go at the wall right of Out Of Sight.  Again.  I was closer than ever with the dyno method, and almost held the top today.  This will definitely go.  By half 4 it was time to go, as it was getting dark.  So ends another day of success :-(

The tripod- initial impressions.  I've got the Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head on the 190XPROB tripod.  The whole thing feels really solid and well made.  The legs are independent and can be locked at 25°, 46°, 66° and 88° which (along with the 3 section legs) gives good versatility.  The central pillar can be extended so the whole tripod hits 140cm, or can be flopped over to 90 degrees to the main tripod (horizontally).  The central pillar can also be rotated, and the whole thing has an integral spirit level.  The 701 head has an adjustable shoe so the camcorder can be moved back/forth to ensure balance.  It moves fluidly both in pan and elevation.  Overall, it felt like a great bit of kit and I look forward to using it more.

from GCW on Vimeo.

Oh, and I note we've hit 20,000 visits.  Thanks again to everyone!!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#135 le Mur de la Persévérance
November 11, 2010, 12:00:29 am
le Mur de la Persévérance
10 November 2010, 9:38 pm

Days of rain- 131

Dry days- 183

The Old Man is up visiting so he got dragged out today.  As usual, I didn't have long as I had to get back to pick the Blobs up.  Owing to Chorley road works we didn't get to the Kebs until 3pm, meaning we only had 45 minutes before having to go.  It was pretty cold, so I was hoping conditions would be OK.  I noted that Paul Craven's car was there, interestingly the only person I have heard of that has done the wall right of Out Of Sight.  The Old Man and I wandered straight to the target wall.  Initially the right hand sloper felt glassy and I couldn't even pull on, so I mucked about on Cleopatra then came back- and still couldn't pull on.  

After a while I managed to get used to the holds again, and started getting more height but still only tickling the top.  After a while Paul wandered past on his way home, so I got his beta which was as I had expected.  It seems he gets outside edge right foot, left foot high and dynos left hand to the top from the same holds I use (see YG pic).  I'd tried this last time, and failed, so opted to stick to my method.  After another 3 goes I'd got the top, albeit almost sliding off on the scrittle, and gave a triumphant shout.  A minor YYFY.  And then it was time for Blob collecting.

I've got my 10k this weekend- the weather looks shit and my knee is still pretty bad, so I'm expecting to have a great deal of fun and fail to acheive a decent time.  Ho hum.

By the way:  The "that's rubbish" comment refers to the hold, not the problem.

comPiler

• forum hero
#136 Rain and Sun
November 13, 2010, 12:00:13 pm
Rain and Sun
13 November 2010, 11:07 am

Days of rain- 134

Dry days- 183

The weather the last few days has been awful.  Wet, super windy- next door's fence flew off down the road.  However, every cloud etc:  This morning when taking Blobs to swimming we were treated to a complete double rainbow.  The picture doesn't do it justice.

Photobucket

comPiler

• forum hero
#137 10k
November 14, 2010, 06:00:09 pm
14 November 2010, 12:26 pm

Just back from the 10k.  The knee held out, painful after 3 miles, but I got there in the end.  The course involved a lot of cross country, plenty of mud and plenty of hills.  The first mile was slow due to the numbers of runners and the stiles needing negotiating.  I managed the whole thing in 56:32, according to my stopwatch (official time 56:43, but it took 11 seconds to cross the start line!!).  A bit slower than I had wanted but in the circumstances not too bad I think.  Have to see how the knee is later.

I see Nemo has done the Keel, Beast, which reminds me I need to get back on the thing myself.

Can't get on UKB for some reason, and haven't done at home for 3 days.  Gutt.

comPiler

• forum hero
#138 Weakness Reigns
November 18, 2010, 12:00:31 am
Weakness Reigns
17 November 2010, 9:03 pm

Days of rain- 138

Dry days- 183

I headed over to West View this afternoon since the weather was awful.  I met up with Captain Pasty who was "well psyched" (ie couldn't be arsed).  This weather is getting ot be very annoying, there's problems I want to get done.  Anyway, I did various things up to V5 then my skin became quite painful.  The Pasty Lord was looking strong, when he could be arsed, but after a couple of hours we both admitted defeat and it was time to brave the rain and head home.

I'm getting itchy palms to get out and do something.  C'mon, where are all the cold crisp dry days for the grit?

comPiler

• forum hero
#139 Another Nemesis
November 20, 2010, 06:00:05 pm
Another Nemesis
20 November 2010, 3:53 pm

Days of rain- 139

Dry days- 185

After all the rain of the last few weeks I wasn't sure where to go today.  Add to this the mist this morning.  I wasn't hugely psyched for some reason, but I ended up heading north on the M6 still unsure where to go.  I did think about Trowbarrow but I expected the Shelterstone to be seeping.  In the end I found myself at Newbiggin.

I decided I'd try Surfer Rosa, but opted to warm up at Newbiggin first.  It seems to have become more popular as it was covered in chalk.  I got sucked into trying Left Wall, something I've never got close to before even though I try it each visit.  Basically it's an horrendous pull from a sitter to get stable on a LH undercut.  The holds aren't great and for my long legs it's really awkward and bunched up.  It was coated in chalk with a puddle of spilled chalk on the floor, so someone's been trying it.  Today I was almost pulling on quite quickly so I persevered.  Although it ripped a hole in my right index finger, I kept at it until eventually I managed to pull on, get a semi-stable position and slap the victory hold.  I found this desperate for a 2 move thing, but at least it's done.

After this I wandered to Surfer but it too was coated in chalk, both the true line and the highr traverse line.  It was also in the blasting sun and it felt rubbish today.  It still came down to one move to get the right heel further left, so it's still resisting my efforts.  I can't believe this is only 7a+!!  I was going to head over to Farleton to have a crack at the Coil but it was getting late on and I couldn't be bothered.  On the way home I droppped in at Trowbarrow to see if it was dry.  DM and 2 friends were there, I watched DM fall off the move on Pit Problem so I'm glad it isn't just me.  He said he remembered me even though it must be nearly 10 years since we met, I think one of the last times was when Clare slipped and banged her head when descending from A boulder.  Maybe he was just being polite.

So that was that, and here's a crap video:

comPiler

• forum hero
#140 Lower Monty In The Drizzle
November 21, 2010, 06:00:05 pm
Lower Monty In The Drizzle
21 November 2010, 4:40 pm

Days of rain- 140

Dry days- 185

The Boss being at work I've had the Blobs today.  The Ginnster said he'd be heading to look at Dinosaur Adventure 3D this afternoon, although it was drizzling a bit.  I dragged the Blobs out for some "fun".

We managed to clean off some of the grass from the top of the problem, but it needs a ladder really.  The Pasty King was almost holding the RH sloper at the top of the ramp, which wasn't bad considering the conditions weren't great.  I was getting the hold but failing to get the LF on the arete hold.  Until I remembered to move my LH up, then I managed to get it from the sitter.  The BLobs luckily had enough snacks and coats to sit quietly and enjoy the ambience of the venue.  The Ginnster had a little look at Maid in Stone, making the slap to the RH undercut look pretty easy.  He's only got the last couple of moves to do and it could be a goer.  I remember it being pretty powerful, and agreed with R-Man's grading of 7a- would be a good one for the Ginnster to do.

Then it was time to come home for tea.  I think I'll need to get back to Trowbarrow this week, weather allowing.  Also some weight loss and wall training would be good, but we shall see.

comPiler

• forum hero
#141 Moving Backwards
November 25, 2010, 12:00:27 am
Moving Backwards
24 November 2010, 5:40 pm

Days of rain- 141

Dry days- 187

This afternoon I had an hour spare so ended up at Trowbarrow.  It was pretty cold, and starting to get dark, when I got there.  The ground was frozen and the holds felt glassy.  Not ideal, but it has been quite a while since I've been there.

The Pit Problem still felt nails.  I can get a decent right foot lock but can't commit to the slap to the edge, what a wuss.  I can slap it all day long but I need to keep that RF on to hold it.  I found a more efficient sequence from the second move onwards, which I cruised a few times.  If I ever hold move 1 it's in the bag.

Vitruvian Man felt fine today, a bit glassy but I felt much stronger on the first move.  If only I could keep the right toe hook in position, it just failed to work at all today despite getting the hold well.

After this I did Ramp Traverse first go, then failed on Pit Problem some more.  I had hot pains in my feet on the drive home, a good sign that Winter is coming.  And how many of my aims have I done so far?  F*ck all.  Amazing.

comPiler

• forum hero
#142 Blackstone Revisited
November 29, 2010, 12:00:04 am
Blackstone Revisited
28 November 2010, 7:01 pm

Days of rain- 142

Dry days- 190

I felt a bit rubbish this morning, self inflicted, but it was such a cold and sunny day I had to get out.  A quick text to the BeardBeast revealed there had been some snow over that way, but I decided to risk a wander up to Blackstone Edge.  It was quite late when I got there and the snow was lying on the ground.  The car suggested -5 degrees, whether that can be trusted or not.

I stomped straight up to the Hueco blocks as I was keen to get back on Nik's Traverse and try Ape Hour.  Unfortunately, the sun was blazing on the arete sloper on Nik's and most of the other boulders were wearing a snowy cap.  It didn't take too long to do all but the arete moves on Nik's Traverse.  Eventually I remembered I had swapped the right hand to an undercut to drop onto the arete, but by then the hole in my tip had opened.  Newbiggin struck again.

I had a look at Ape Hour, something R-man and I looked at years ago but first done by Russell Bowman.  I realised that R-man and I had not been using a sloper out right, the fools.  Anyway, I was getting pretty close to this thwarted only by slapping the icy top.  Another to come back to.

After this I wandered across the rest of the edge getting colder as the sun went away.  Not much was in condition due to the ice, and Fridge Hugger was both baltic and snowy so I ended up wandering back down.  I'm pretty psyched to head back though, with decent skin and less heat on the sloper I'm sure Nik's will go.  I find it desperate for 7a+.

comPiler

• forum hero
#143 Snow and Excavation
December 02, 2010, 12:00:09 am
Snow and Excavation
1 December 2010, 5:43 pm

Days of rain- 144

Dry days- 191

Wow, snow.  The Peak and Yorkshire has had a fair old dump, but there's been a little bit over this way.  I was off today, although I woke feeling full of the cold.  I had planned to head to Trowbarrow for another failure session.  By the time we'd been to Blob 1's assembly, then got home the BeardyBeast had arrived with his version of consumption.  After some time, and gallons of coffee, he had solved my wooden cube puzzle.  I'd done this a while back, but the Blobs had destroyed it and I've never got it back together.  Good skills of perseverance I have to say.

By this time the snow was coming down thick and fast and psyche ebbed away.  In the end, BeardyBeast had to head home for fear of road blockage.  I couldn't be arsed trying to do much, so after getting wrapped up well I headed to Lower Montcliffe with a ladder.  I managed to clear a fair bit of mud and grass from the top of Dinosaur Adventure 3D.  I couldn't get to all of it, so the mud that causes the seepage down the ramp remains, but a good hour's work means it's a lot clearer now.  The snow was intermittent by then but Bach was damp, so I headed home.  And I've been sat shivering and snuffling next to the radiator.

Another week of crush, eh?

comPiler

• forum hero
#144 Still Alive
December 08, 2010, 12:00:12 am
Still Alive
7 December 2010, 6:29 pm

Days of rain- 147

Dry days- 194

Thursday I felt rough but stupidly went to work, then Friday was a day of feeling crap and running temperatures.  Over the weekend I've improved, not helped by a swim party on Sunday which involved freezing water immersion for 2 hours.

The upshot of all this is that I feel drained, and I've not climbed for what seems like Aeons.  The weather is still cold, but it rained a few days back then refroze, so I'm not sure what will be in condition.  Fingers crossed.  I've pretty much given up on the aims from 2010.  Rollover I suppose.

comPiler

• forum hero
#145 Aches
December 13, 2010, 12:00:05 am
Aches
12 December 2010, 3:12 pm

Days of rain- 149

Dry days- 197

On Friday night I headed up North to stay at MadMac's house.  We'd been trying to get together for a wander up some hills for a while, but things never panned out.  The recent bad weather up in Scotland was a little worrying.

The Boss was late home from work so I didn't get to MadMac's until nearly midnight.  After a (not so) wee dram I got my head down for a few hours before we were up and on our way out.  Duw to concerns about road passability we headed to the Aroochar Alps, but in the event driving conditions were fine.  We opted to try to wander up Ben Vane, Beinn Ime and Ben Narnain.  After parking at Inveruglas we headed up the track towards Loch Sloy.  I completely botched the lacing on my left boot, so had a blister pretty quickly.  I managed to re-lace but it was a bit late by that point.

Ben Lomond at Sunrise:

MadMac getting ready to face the bog:

Conditions were a bit mixed really, not enough snow and ice to merit the crampons we ended up toting the whole way round, but a bit too wintry for comfortable plodding.  We were pretty lucky with the weather, it was fairly clear except for occasional clouds on the summits.  We made Ben Vane in 2 1/2 hours.

Looking back to the Loch Sloy Boulders:

Ben Lomond from the summit of Ben Vane:

We cocked up the descent a little, heading a bit too low into Gleann Uaine although this was nothing a bit of contouring couldn't sort out.  This left us with a plod up half frozen turf, with no path, to reach Glas Bhealach.  Unfortunately, MadMac's legs seem to have lost all power so it was a slow ascent.  It took 2 hours from Vane to Ime, which meant we were tight on time and MadMac's tired legs made the decision for us.

Summit of Beinn Ime:

We descended down to Bealach a'Mhaim then down through the trees to pick up the track back to Inveruglas.  Annoyingly MadMac's legs seemed to be OK on the track, so he picked up the pace just to make my blister worse.  After a few beers and drams I tried to sleep but struggled as the dodgy knee had flared up again.

Today I drove back here, possibly being nabbed by a speed camera van on the M74.  The Boss is in Manchester now at a Christmas night out, so the Blobs and I had a fun time driving her and a friend into Picadilly.  Having a glass of wine now, but bed is calling.  After a day of traipsing on the hills and a night of no sleep, it's fair to say I'm shattered.  Need to get bouldering though, it seems like an eternity.

comPiler

• forum hero
#146 Denham
December 16, 2010, 12:00:10 am
Denham
15 December 2010, 7:55 pm

Days of rain- 150

Dry days- 199

The BeardyBeast came round today, but conditions have been rubbish and we've had that weird cloying damp all day.  As neither of us had long we wandered to Denham.  It was slightly damp in places, and quite green in the usual areas. We warmed up on the Denham Traverse, and both failed to do the crux moves.  It felt OK actually, so maybe in better conditions we'd have more success.

After this we did Cheeky Monkey (which I did double first try!), did half of the arete to the left which had its winter coat on.  We moved over to the left, ending up at Snap Derision.  We both struggled on the first move, although it's a little easier than when I did the first ascent as the right foot hold is a bit better.  After a while I managed the problem using the proper sequence, still feels hard to me although the consensus seems to be that it is now in the 7a+/b area.  BeardyBeast certainly found it awkward so morpho may be the word.

After this we both had to rush off.  I had plans to sort a few things out, but after picking up an unwell Blob 1 from school that all went out of the window.  So time for a glass of red and some food.

comPiler

• forum hero
#147 Snow
December 20, 2010, 06:00:13 am
Snow
20 December 2010, 4:31 am

Days of rain- 152

Dry days- 203

There was a decent dump of snow on Friday overnight, so I woke on Saturday to go to work in a Winter wonderland.  We had a decent amount, probably 6 inches, and driving to work at 6:30 was great- most of the snow was fresh and I got to laugh at stuck BMWs.

The down side to all this is that the 2010 tick list is very likely to remain unticked.  I'm off on Wednesday, so can likely get out to try something. However, if there's any melt of this snow I have no idea where will be in condition.  I see that CyL and Woodwell are OK at present, so I'll have to keep an eye on the temperatures.

Generally a bit of a "I've done f**k all" blog at the moment.

comPiler

• forum hero
#148 Merry Christmas!
December 25, 2010, 12:00:18 am
Merry Christmas!
24 December 2010, 8:57 pm

Days of rain- 153

Dry days- 206

Christmas eve.  Due to snow and lack of free time I've not been out this week.  I don't expect to be out until 2011 now, so the aims will roll over.  Again.

Anyway, I hope anyone reading this has a great Christmas.  I hope I'll have something more interesting to say soon.

comPiler

• forum hero
#149 Winter Hill Wanderings
December 31, 2010, 12:00:11 am
Winter Hill Wanderings
30 December 2010, 7:04 pm

Days of rain- 153

Dry days- 211

After work I bumbled over to Brownstones.  Needless to say everything was soaking.  I walked up to the trig point on Winter Hill, then back down.  After a pint in the Black Dog, I went home feeling frustrated and wanting to get out.  Roll on 2011.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal