UKBouldering.com

West Highland Way (Read 1776 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
West Highland Way
April 15, 2010, 03:39:51 pm
Anyone ridden the WHW?  I've done day 1 of the walking route (Fort Bill to Kinlochleven) before and know there is a good alternative up Glen Nevis but probably best ridden south to north.

I've ridden the bottom half of Loch Lomond too but have heard the top half is a carry?

Is the rest of it all 4x4 or does anyone know of any interesting alternatives.

Quick responses appreciated.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: West Highland Way
April 15, 2010, 04:44:39 pm
You've probably seen all this but I had some links handy as a guy in work was looking into it, this thread is pretty good, it mentions the shitty bit at the top of Loch Lomond and links to this article which has some first hand experience on it as does this link.

There is quite a lot of talk about bits of it being nearly impossible to cycle and I would imagine if you do it at a time when it's popular with walkers it'll be busy and a bit of a nightmare to navigate around everyone.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#2 Re: West Highland Way
April 16, 2010, 08:17:28 am
Thanks.  The problem with reports like these is that you don't really know how well people ride.  I read one report that said the top of Loch Lomond was so difficult they were forced to carry their bikes, which required them to remove the panniers.  Panniers?  :jaw:

I've ridden Kinlochleven to Fort Bill previously and although it goes through great terrain it is pretty boring riding.  I've also ridden the southern section of Loch Lomond to which the same comment applies. 

I was looking for some local knowledge of interesting alternatives generally following the WHW route.  Looks like I'll have to post on the biking sites  :)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: West Highland Way
April 16, 2010, 09:39:03 am
I would agree with you on the southern section of Loch Lomond and I do know that the North section is meant to be tricker adn harder to pass by bike, but I don't have any personal experience of the WHW route so can't really compare.  There's definitely a bit with a ladder though, so you would have to lift or carry at some point.  I'm clearly not really the right person to advise, as I both own and use panniers.  ;)

Hope the bike forums are more helpful.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#4 Re: West Highland Way
April 16, 2010, 11:46:55 am
 :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal