UKBouldering.com

How expensive is Ireland? (Read 2486 times)

PeterH

• player
    • The Lemon House
How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 06:32:51 pm
I want to go to Ireland, maybe the Burren, and it's one of the places on the list for me and my mates from Sardinia. We like to go trad climbing every so often, had a really great trip to Pembroke in June last year, and you do need a change from where you live. Ever since we saw Underdeveloped at SHAFF 2008 we have wanted to go there. I was reminded of it by this post http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,13911.msg251083.html#msg251083

But isn't  it massively expensive? We went to Cork and Dublin last Xmas, 15 months ago, when the "What's the difference between Iceland and Ireland? One letter" joke was just starting to do the rounds. We were STUNNED by how expensive Ireland in general was. Our friends who had previously lived in Newry would drive all the way back there from Cork just to get the car serviced - it was one-third the price; a capuccino was €3 (it's €1 here, things are cheap here). I am worried about proposing it as a destination  to my mates if it's so dear, but maybe it was just the cities (I hope) or maybe prices have fallen now. Fair Head, in the north, would be cheaper but we still have to fly to Dublin and hire a car (long drive).

Info welcome: prices for accommodation, food etc for the Burren and Fairhead. We'd be looking at a long weekend

ta Peter

chillax

• forum abuser
#1 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 07:37:11 pm
The south is really fucking expensive mate. As in don't expect much change out of €5 for a pint. I moved from the south to the north last september for college and was amazed at how much cheaper things are up here. In terms of value for money (and quality of climbing IMO) Fair Head is the way to go. There isn't too much difference in the drive from dublin to the burren or fair head. Probably give it 3 and a half to 4 hours drive to get to either (petrols a bit cheaper south of the border, one of the very few things that is). In terms of accommodation would you be looking for a hostel/hotel, or would you be happy to camp? I could point you at a gorgeous free campsite right beside fair head. Theres more choice in terms of accommodation at the burren as its such a popular tourist spot. Best food in either spot tends to be pub grub or chippers. Never overly expensive.

When would you be thinking of heading? Theres a bit of a meet planned at the head in June (see this pdf for details) so there'll be plenty of people around. Otherwise the place tends to be EXTREMELY quiet. As in its about three miles long and 20 climbers on one day would probably be considered a lot. The burren tends to be busy any sunny weekend during the summer (busy in relative terms, its Ireland after all).

PeterH

• player
    • The Lemon House
#2 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 07:45:34 pm
well I'm glad you confirmed what we had found about prices in the south. No dates yet, and the MI meet would be good but we can't go then. However will start to float the idea with my mates and their better halves  ??? ??? Thanks again Peter

chillax

• forum abuser
#3 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 07:56:59 pm
No worries. Things are starting to get a bit better, but I don't think prices for basic stuff will be down to reasonable levels in the near future  :(  Though the climbing here is really good and well worth a visit. Normal weather warnings apply. But if things do crap out, both locations have plenty of things to go and see and some above-average pubs to retire to  :) If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Paul

bigd942

• addict
#4 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 08:32:43 pm
I live in Ballycastle and can give you the low down on where to stay, eat if needed. Sean the farmer who built the car park at Fairhead has put up people in the past in a converted out house. It's a few miles from anywhere though so not an ideal walk back from pubs etc, unless you've the guiness time altering device installed.
There are a couple of good B&B's I could name (Hillsea being one) and a backpackers, plus a good youth hostel about 5 miles further along the coast in Ballintoy.
On a good weekend in summer the town is packed and has a good vibe about it, you've Bushmills Distilery 12 miles away thats worth a walk round even just for the smells, Carrick-a-Reed etc etc so plenty to do if it rains.
If you promised not to burn my house down I may be able to vacate for a long weekend.

chillax

• forum abuser
#5 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 23, 2010, 08:43:54 pm
I live in Ballycastle

D'you still climb by any chance? I'm in Coleraine and always on the lookout for people to head out with.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#6 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
March 24, 2010, 10:22:27 am
It CAN be expensive. Doesn't have to be though. Free camp and buy your food and beer in Lidl and it would be very cheap. In general prices are fallling fast. Doolin is a really nice place to base yourself, hostel there called www.ailleriverhosteldoolin.ie. Day trip to any of the Aran Islands is only 20E , could go over and do some new routes.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#7 Re: How expensive is Ireland?
June 09, 2010, 06:23:11 pm
Dave, it's only when you leave that you realize how expensive the place has gotten!! How's the family by the way?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal