UKBouldering.com

Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues (Read 3600 times)

Jacqusie

• stalker
Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 05:20:46 pm
Having had a few people approach me about this venue after being turfed off - I finally went to see what the fuss was all about and straight after parking up - met the Gamekeeper - who informed us that it was Private land and therefore there was no access.We went to the crag with him and after an amicable conversation, we agreed that we would try and negotiate access for the crag with Chatsworth - and it was all very positive - hand shakes etc... So what we said was that if people can stay away in the meantime until we sort the access and more importantly parking situation out, then it would help our cause. If however people contnue to go there - then it looks as if we are not sticking to our part of the bargain - so please chaps - could you staff off until we have some better news for you all (hopefully??)

I'll report back asap.

Cheers

Si Jacques
BMC Bouldering Access Rep

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 06:26:31 pm
Good work!  :great:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 08:42:40 pm
thanks very very much....

I approached chatsworth about 3 years ago about this, they were basically unable to confirm whether they owned it or not (!)

right, before the crag gets opened and all hell breaks out;

the reason why the gluing looks so shite is cos it never got finished...  :oops:and it is a bit a sight :o (or was  3 years ago)..... every time the sika got mixed the gamekeeper turfed us off....

get the place open and i promise i'll sort it all out into the venue it should be.

the glue is only on one section, left of the awesome bulge on the right hand buttress. most of the lines right of this were cleaned and climbed, right of the glue the crag wasnt cleaned off.

good luck with getting the place open, I'll be there!!!

Jacqusie

• stalker
#3 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 09:04:27 pm
yer - the sika looked a bit of a sight - but the gamekeeper didn't seem to bothered by that! What was there was a small ladder in the hole - which we couldn't hide fraid!

- the fact that its roadside and there are no notices saying no access - I can't fault you going there - but when we have been told to stay off I think we should for the time being.

If anyone does decide to go there (and again please don't!) - please feign ignorance and go with good grace - if people want to develop it - it would be a shame if we can't get access for them to do so....

...but we shall try our best!!!

cheers

Simon

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#4 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 09:10:28 pm
ahem.....

it's a ladder (like the one that was a cragx) with UKB on n"est pas??

sorry about that

dont worry I'll keep well away for now

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 01, 2006, 10:25:24 pm
Ah, I always wondered who did the sika job ! a bit of sanding should sort it out.

Anyway well done Simon hopefully there will be some good news soon.

I wonder if it suffers from seepage as much as other peak limestone bouldering.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#6 Re: Toad Hall Bouldering - Access Issues
October 02, 2006, 11:44:12 am
it does seep, bit dries earlier, esp on the right hand side :)

Jacqusie

• stalker
After a bit more info recieved - I have been made aware that the highways Agency is to look at redevelopoing the area round toad hall for the A6 road that runs below it. This may mean netting and whatnot - so I reckon that this matter will now be taken out of our hands and maybe better to put energies into Craig david??

..besides - it was a bit of a hole!!

Cheers

Si

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
I think the Highways agency work was mentioned on the Esoteric Peak Limestone thread a while ago but seems to have gone missing. Well I won't give up hope totally until we see what they do, hey they might even knock
the crag down and create a better one in the process.
Maybe if the crag is going to be lost anyway we should just start climbing on it while the chance is there ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
as opposed to possibly damaging the access issues their shouldnt the BMC ask for an update frm chats estate re; the highways / A6 work??

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Any update on this?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Has anything happened with this? Been two years since last we talked about it.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
Well there has been no work done by the highways agency, so we should probably be thinking of going again ?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Rock stabilisation work on the A6 is *supposed* to be starting soon. Bonjoy or Neil F may know more, depending who won the contract.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal