UKBouldering.com

How good in how long? (Read 7268 times)

dave

#25 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 04:03:19 pm
i fink sunday mite be good in peak - 4cast to be dryish and blowing a gale to dry shit off.

but then again where have you heard that before.....we can only hope.

mark

• forum abuser
#26 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 04:05:26 pm
Quote from: "underground"
I reckon miguel does that sort of fighting that girls do, scratching and wildly flailing arms.

'you called me a f**kin' dopey b*tch donno, yo slag!'

I've been in a fight with him (on the same side, three of us against his brother) and can say that he's rubbish. His brother easily saw the three of us off. His brother's vicious.

May all have changed now that Bubba's a licenced ninja, of course.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#27 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 04:09:14 pm
Anyway good to see britains office workers once again putting there friday afternoon worktime to good use tossing it off on t'internet...whilst us honest hard working grafting backbone of britain industrial workers  sweat to build britain brick by brick.............

poets day anyway

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 05:55:57 pm
Quote from: "underground"
I reckon miguel does that sort of fighting that girls do, scratching and wildly flailing arms.

When we had that play spar UG, I slapped you in the face and you nearly cried like a little girl  :)

james

• obsessive maniac
#29 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 07:22:01 pm
Did font 7c+ and english 7a after about 2 years and E9 after 2 1/2.  I found I my grade increased quickly and got slower and slower.  I remember 7c being a real struggle.
Cheers

James

Naylor

• regular
#30 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 07:31:23 pm
British 7a, please! :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 08:11:46 pm
Before this degrades into yet another British tech grade discussion, I think James was referring to the given grade of a route, not what he's claimed something as.

let's not have another argument about BTG 7a/7b, etc - it's been done more than enough elsewhere!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 08:50:04 pm
Ah sorry! That went straight over my head - fair point then in that case Naylor  :oops:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#33 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 09:03:26 pm
It's only since I've lived in Wales that I've really understood this sort of thing.

I remember once back in the early 90s on the Buoux campsite when Mark's mother came over from Scotland and popped in for a visit. I asked what the weather was like in England and she cut me short with a terse, "I don't know, I've just come from Scotland."

I felt pretty stupid, and promised myself I wouldn't make the same mistake again...mind you I did use the term 'English 7c' in a quote from Malc in my last Bouldering column. I guess it was a quote, and a quote from a Scotsman as well!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Scottish or Welsh racism towards the English (I am English after all), but equally, English arrogance does grate on me, now that I see it from the other side.

dave

#34 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 09:52:14 pm
Quote from: "james"
Did font 7c+ and english 7a after about 2 years and E9 after 2 1/2.  

i hate you.

:wink:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#35 How good in how long?
January 09, 2004, 10:18:49 pm
Started in 83/4. I think I spent a couple of years grazing my knees on VSs at Stanage and in Lancashire quarries, then went straight through to E2, then E4 a couple of years later, then E5 2 years after that, then 8a (redpoint obviously) and occasional E6 (but mostly E5) a couple of years after that. Mostly 2 year jumps I guess.

Never got into headpointing.

Been wombling up winter grade 5s for years, occasionally try harder, with some success.

I seem to have bouldered at a similar grade (the last few months excepted) since about 92/3. V9 max - mostly V5 - 8(+)

I guess it's an organic thing - you just respond to your environment.
If you are of the driven competitive type, you'll soon fly up the grades, assuming you don't mind a bit of hard work getting there. It does help if you hang out with climbers a little better than yourself. If they are too good, you'll just get depressed at how shite you are.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#36 Re: How good in how long?
January 10, 2004, 12:32:44 am
Quote from: "squeek"
After a year and a half how hard where you climbing?  
Do your grades increase steadily, or have you had a mad jump at some point?

Steady up to 18 months - to solidly leading E1'ish - then i had a big mad jump at about 18 months - went from leading E1 to onsighting chalkstorm - which then gave me the confidence to steady out my lead grade at E3

had managed to headpoint E5 by 2 years too (in the days before all these mad young stupid things were doing them within 6 months of starting.......)

didn't do that much bouldering in those days but had bagged Bannana Finger Direct and Pebble Arete after about 18 months climbing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal