UKBouldering.com

Low Cost Airlines (Read 1682 times)

underground

• forum hero
Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 11:25:46 am
I'm just thinking of booking a bit of a holiday for me and the missus, just a long weekend somewhere, thinking it'll be nice if I can get cheap flights to go somewhere further away than Skeggy...

So, I looked at Ryanair and found flights to Biarritz for 2.50 a pop... But when I proceed to book, and they lash all the taxes on and stuff, it's coming out at more like 80 nicker.  :x

Are they having a laugh with these 'cheap flights'? I notice that when I try to book the more expensive flights, the taxes are way cheaper...

Anyone know a good source of proper cheap flights anywhere?

dave

#1 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 11:32:09 am
ryanair shit always sting you for taxes etc - i think in reality you're not going to pay less than £30 for a flight cos theres always airport taxes etc. sometimes for genuine deals you wanna get last minute offers but then of course its touch and go (low cost ones tend to get more expensive closer to the date).

i found shopping for cheapest flights extremely frustrating when i went to canada the other year - the umpteen website offering you price comparison etc to find you the cheapest but its all bollocks cos they assume you're flying in the middle of the night midweek.

your best bet is pick a few companies you wanna deal with and see whats the best they can offer when you wanna fly, and maybe bargain threm against each other - if they really want you're money they might do you a deal.

either that or get on't teletext.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 11:33:18 am
The really really cheap flights are always at weird times/dates - i've always found skyscanner pretty good because it lists actual flights that you can then go and book, rather than theoretical cheapest prices.  

I reckon that with all taxes, etc, £80 return to a nice Euro location is still  a bargain anyway.

underground

• forum hero
#3 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 11:53:51 am
Is it cheap? That's for 2 return flights that is.... I was hoping to pay more like a tenner for both mind.

underground

• forum hero
#4 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 11:58:48 am
Quote from: "dave"
either that or get on't teletext.

Aye, we'll be on t' beach in Torremolinos this time next week wi' a Pina Colada and full English.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 12:05:15 pm
You can get lucky - I got a return to Ancona (near Meschia) for only £22.50 or something but that's the exception.

The way I see it is that it would cost me way more in petrol to go to say, Cornwall than fronting up 80 notes on a flight somewhere 20 times further away - not exactly bad value for money.

Aren't most of those Ryanair flights one way, so you get stung on the return? Just done a check from Stanstead to Carcasonne and it still comes out at £80 return each, even with the £9.99 flights on the way out - about £60 is in taxes.

dave

#6 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 12:05:33 pm
theres a few good places in corfu that do a good chicken-in-a-basket, and egg and chips for the missus.

underground

• forum hero
#7 Low Cost Airlines
January 05, 2004, 12:41:30 pm
Quote from: "dave"
theres a few good places in corfu that do a good chicken-in-a-basket, and egg and chips for the missus.

Aye but can they keep a decent pint of o' Tetley's? I'll be watchin' Man U on t' big screen when I get there....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal