UKBouldering.com

forks on mtbs? (Read 4054 times)

chappers

• forum hero
forks on mtbs?
March 23, 2010, 05:07:43 pm
currently my shit mountain bike i will be using to ride to work has crappy rock shocks forks, i want to replace them with some on-one rigid forks, here is my issue:

the on-one forks i want to get are 20mm shorter axle to crown than my current suspension forks (i cant get the longer ones as i dont want to run disks).
will this alter my geometry so much that the bike will be bad to ride?? can i just bung a spacer above the headset to sort it out??

also, anyone got any single speed gubbins going spare, chain tensioner etc...

cheers, chris

al123

• menacing presence
#1 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 23, 2010, 06:47:16 pm
to my reckoning it wont change the angles on the bike but will make the front end lower.

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 23, 2010, 07:17:41 pm
i figured that...maybe "geometry" was a bad word to use...those with exp riding mtb bikes, does a 20mm lower front end matter, ill just raise the bars 20mm eh?? easy as pie.

one set of pink forks coming right up!
now how do i get the trek stickers off this frame?...

the appeal for ss bits still stands, converter kit, tensioner, and i need a set of v brakes (levers n all), any old shit will do i think, dont want a bling bike out of this, just one that works every day as i hack across manchester.

al123

• menacing presence
#3 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 23, 2010, 09:31:35 pm
it depends on how long youve have been riding your bike with its current setup. if you have neen riding it a long time you will notice a differance in the handling and your body position on your bike. and it will make the handling abit quicker if you get what i mean. your choice alot of downhill,trials and 4cross pro's have they bars slammed right down with no rise and no spacers on top of the headset to get really fast responsive handling. your choice really

bigphil

• menacing presence
#4 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 23, 2010, 10:12:14 pm
If your new forks are shorter the head tube angle will be steeper and the bike might not be as fun to ride down hills though it might be better going up. Your bottom bracket would be slightly lower too therefore you'll have less clearance for your chainset and pedals. As before, these differences may not be that noticeable to you but the typical change on travel adjust forks is 20mm so then again it might. 

chappers

• forum hero
#5 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 24, 2010, 10:24:52 am
i dont think i will notice the difference, ive not ridden it in about 5 years, its currently stripped downr ready to convert to SS.
i just want a "crap" (reliable) bike that the kids at school wont be intersted in. suspension does not fit with my needs, i feel odd riding it, and since i will be riding UP to ashton-u-L every day it feels like it saps the efficency from the bike.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#6 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 24, 2010, 12:18:48 pm
How much travel did your old forks have?  Say they were 100mm the sag on them would be about 25% = 25mm.  So a new rigid fork 20mm shorter may feel about the same geometry when riding.  You say they are shorter axle to crown but do you mean crown bottom, centre or crown bearing race?  If the crowns on the two forks are different shapes then you might not be comparing like for like but any differences would be small.  The important dimension to compare is axle to crown race.

P.S. I have a lovely set of Fox Floats for sale if you would like a nice bouncy front end  ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#7 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 24, 2010, 11:07:23 pm

rigid???

god forsake me...

why?

seriously..

just say no.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#8 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 25, 2010, 07:43:30 pm
I was trying to be helpful for once FD and you go and ruin it with the truth

chappers

• forum hero
#9 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 26, 2010, 08:33:53 am
thanks everyone.
suspension is for gaylords when you are just riding accross a city on the way to work! off road, then i can see its place...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#10 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 27, 2010, 10:09:45 am
Do you live in Sheffield?  Have you seen the state of our roads?  :)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#11 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 27, 2010, 06:53:48 pm
so if you're going for the on-one forks then why not the £99 singlespeed kit, which includes cr-mo fork, singulator, spacers, cogs and city tyres?

chappers

• forum hero
#12 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 28, 2010, 07:54:17 pm
so if you're going for the on-one forks then why not the £99 singlespeed kit, which includes cr-mo fork, singulator, spacers, cogs and city tyres?

dont have disks...thought about it and running just a back brake...any opinions on that little gem??

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#13 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 29, 2010, 11:22:13 am
the kit bundled 420 model fork has bosses for v brakes.. or are they a dirty word?

chappers

• forum hero
#14 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 29, 2010, 09:36:01 pm
oh, i hadnt seen that...bonus!
whats the deal with getting v brakes on them, says "sold without canti mounts" how do they mount on there, can i but the bosses? i  :google: but, couldnt find!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#15 Re: forks on mtbs?
March 30, 2010, 03:07:01 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal