UKBouldering.com

The CWIF's (Read 12402 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 11:31:41 am
Who watched/entered this then? I watched it online - what a good idea! Well done to the Works for setting this up!

Thought it was very entertaining. Liked the semi's better than the finals - the problems seemed to work better. Looked like some really good problems, with the odd blip. Slab problem for the ladies' final was a bad idea! And the handstand start for the men was either genius or lunacy, I can't decide. But such things are all part of the amusement of live events - the climbing equivalent of someone swearing on tele.

That men's semi problem going off the volume to hit the pockets on the steep section looked great. Stew Watson nearly holding the swing time and again - great stuff. And the crimpy finals problem with the lunge to the final hold, with several only just catches. All good value!

Would have been great if the director had chosen cameras to fit the commentary - kept hearing exciting stuff elsewhere whilst the camera was focused on problem 1. Something to try next year!

And well done to everyone who posted drivel in the chatroom - made me chuckle. If Percy had been able to read that, I think the two way banter might have been transcendental. Oh, and well done to Tyler, who put up with a barrage of "what about Shadowplay?"questions.

Right, enough rambling. I'm not normally into indoor stuff, but seeing as I was much entertained, I thought it worth thanking the works and all the competitors. Now and again, it's great to see so many people come together to share this little hobby of ours.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 11:44:06 am
Thanks for the support. The webcast seemed to work well, although I didn't get to see any of it! The missus watched it at home and pointed out all the points you make, along with the chat room drivel - sounded very amusing! Good job I wasn't involved....!!! The two fixed camera positions ended up as a necessity after the crowd got too big to use the huge boom camera they had - but its all a learning curve. The webcast dudes will be broadcasting the world cup from sheffield this summer so they were getting their eye in a bit I think. For the WC they will have more cameras, a boom cam, and probably will fix cameras at the top of specific problems for close-ups!
The handstand start was brought to you courtesy of an anglo-french Bishton/Godoffe colaberation, and is strictly not copyrighted in any way. Is it lunacy - obviously. Is it entertaining? Obviously. Comps should be cool to watch, and this is what we aimed for. Hopefully we managed to bring the odd smile to everybodies face now and again. Also the big advantage of starting upside down means that all your blood goes to your head, therefore de-pumping your arms......probably? Yeh, ok...probably not!

And whats this - ladies not liking slabs?! How times change.....

Ackbar

• player
#2 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 12:26:03 pm
Really enjoyed watching the live webcast.  Congrats to all involved.  I couldn't understand how people could type messages and watch the comp at the same time.  The pace of the competition was so fast.  I thought the slab problem for the women was great.  Was really fustrating.  The first competitor nearly got it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 03:19:52 pm
Can I ask which problems will be left up for us mere mortals to try?

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
#4 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 06:30:34 pm
Had a great time.

Feel fully beasted today.

Got a few shots in the semis and then watched the rest using the webcast.

Ol

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#5 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 07:39:16 pm
the handstand was novel. different. a definate crowd pleaser.

well done for another greatly organised comp.

205Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 07:44:13 pm
I watched online and thoroughly enjoyed it. I second Paul B though - any problems left for us mortals to try?

Noticed a few wads out at the plantation today, anything significant get repeated?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#7 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 08:48:09 pm
All the finals and the qualification circuit will be left up for a bit for you all to enjoy - including the handstand one. I hope that Dense will be working this in the hope that the increase in blood flow will boost the size of his swede....
Me and Jacky will set a bit more stuff on the comp wall tomorrow for some of the foreign teams to train on seeing as most of them are sticking around for a weeks training. I'd imagine (as in, I know) a lot of this stuff will not be too easy, but we will also add some problems for the mere mortals who'd like to climb on the comp wall too.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#8 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:12:37 pm
the handstand was novel. different. a definate crowd pleaser.

The Works - turning competitions (and other things) upside down   :dance1:

well done for another greatly organised comp.

Ta

Thanks for helping out. And to anyway else that helped out.  :beer2:

abarro81

• forum hero
#9 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:30:00 pm
What's the deal with the funny over-sized stickers some of the wads seem to wear on their shoulders/arms nowadays? They're in quite a few pics/videos now...
Like here:

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:45:18 pm
I'd assumed that was some physio stuff as thats what stu does isn't it?

Cheers for the update Percy, I look forward to being shut down by weirdness and general filth.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#11 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:46:38 pm
I bet its Accapi

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:49:31 pm
is Accapi not on the list of performance enhancing contraband? I've heard it is THAT good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 09:55:54 pm

Will the webcasts ever be archived online?

Duma

• forum hero
#14 Re: The CWIF's
March 21, 2010, 10:09:28 pm
+1

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#15 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 08:21:45 am
Re the stu tape on his arm, I was being generally abusive on the chat room and his dad was watching so we got out of him that its a physio thing - some japanese wisdom apparently, although I liked the theory another poster suggested that it was to stop his muscles exploding out of his arm.

Well that was hard work. I had great day. Really enjoy team competitions, felt like I climbed well and that there was a good atmos and general cameraderie. Those holdz holds felt a bit rapey by the end of the day, but I think this was in part due to the 173 competitors and countless other specatators combined body heat making it tres warm and softening my skin. 30 problems is a lot, although in this respect the volume of people helped because you had to rest for plenty of time between goes.

Things seemed well organised and I liked the setting. Felt ruined all day yesterday but will be back on it (on the board!) today. I must say though, that IT chap you employ is jolly good looking. And soooo clever. Whatever you pay him - its not enough ;-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 08:38:31 am
I heard he's a dick though.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#17 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 08:49:58 am
I was wondering what the stickers were for too. I've seen pictures of Johanna Ernest sporting something similar. Do we know what they are supposed to do or how they work?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 08:51:27 am
I was wondering what the stickers were for too. I've seen pictures of Johanna Ernest sporting something similar. Do we know what they are supposed to do or how they work?

Who cares, just post the photos.

Ackbar

• player
#19 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 08:52:27 am
Does anyone know what font grade the problems in the finals were?

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#20 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 09:14:58 am

http://www.sisseluk.com/product/uk/en/c-k-taping/s-k-tape/8784_k-tape.php

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#21 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 09:35:19 am
What's that Robin, is it the bullshit alert!

Quick to the crystal zone of the Bat cave, someones chakras are out of alignment, this calls for a reiki master!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 09:50:52 am

Will the webcasts ever be archived online?

Missed them, so would be good if they are put up somewhere.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 10:56:59 am

This stuff?
It's bondage tape.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#24 Re: The CWIF's
March 22, 2010, 11:12:28 am
I must say though, that IT chap you employ is jolly good looking. And soooo clever. Whatever you pay him - its not enough ;-)

He seems to be doing a bit of moon lighting for CTU over in NY.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal