UKBouldering.com

Beastmakers for The Arch fund (Read 16099 times)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:04:47 pm
After getting my grubby little mitts on a couple they have on the shop wall in The Arch, I think Le Beastmakers are frickin awesome and it would be great if they replaced The Metolius simulator thingy (and maybe later on the moon fingerboard too), for one or both of The Beastmakers.
I noticed a certain someone started a post on Facebook about chipping in some cash for one at The Arch, since I don't have facebook and no doubt there are other people out there who are unable to respond to this, how about a post here if you are willing to chip in.

Put me down for a Fiver for each board or a tenner for one also :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:11:22 pm
WTF!!!  :o

The ARch appears to be a commercial venture, you pay for the use of training facilities at their premises.  You don't take your own set of holds down to use there, you use whats there.  If you think they should have a Beastmaker for training I don't see why you should have to fund it yourselves, speak to the owners or put suggestsions in the feedback that they should get them, they have plenty of profit from your entry fees, and a savvy company should listen to their customers and re-invest in areas that need improving.

I bet the owners of The Arch were rubbing their hands with glee when (if?) they saw the Farcebook thing!!!

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#2 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:20:22 pm
Fair point ... those beastmakers are proper plush though, and I really don't fancy the hassle of mounting one at home in a rented property....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:29:14 pm
Fair point ... those beastmakers are proper plush though, and I really don't fancy the hassle of mounting one at home in a rented property....
They don't have to be mounted, you can use a power bar (which fits braced in a door frame, see pic) and have the beastmaker mounted onto some plywood with hooks/slots that attach to this.

There are pics and more detailed descriptions somewhere in what used to be a thread with advice on building a woody which I now can't find under the new forum layout.  Some people had concerns about damage to side walls, but again I can't find the thread.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#4 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:55:31 pm
I mean, I am more concerned about my door frames ability to tolerate a 6 foot 2 103kg man mountain hanging from it?

:(

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#5 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 12:58:35 pm
You want one of these http://www.highball-climbing.com/products/prd_03.shtml

Available at The Works of course (when we get some more stock as we keep selling out)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#6 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:05:47 pm

Available at The Works of course (when we get some more stock as we keep selling out)

A banner ad is available for £50 a week.  ;) ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:07:28 pm

Do they just jack out to fit the frame? If so I'd say it'll be fine in an old Victorian terrace but in a modern flat you'll just end up with a bowing door frame.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:09:10 pm
I mean, I am more concerned about my door frames ability to tolerate a 6 foot 2 103kg man mountain hanging from it?

:(

Fair enough, but my point is that The Arch is a business, you (and other paying customers) shouldn't be funding new equipment in the training facility, thats why you pay an entry fee that they profit from.

Oh and if you've bought a couple of Beastmakers, but haven't got anywhere to mount them, why not offer to rent one to The Arch, a reasonable price might be free entry whilst its up?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#9 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:09:27 pm

Interesting, got any other photo's with the panel removed?

How does it clamp itself between the door frame, like one of those expanding bars?

Also when you say the panel is removable, is there anything left obstructing the doorway when the panel is removed when not in use?

Very interested.

i.munro

• junky
#10 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:19:45 pm
[

Fair enough, but my point is that The Arch is a business, you (and other paying customers) shouldn't be funding new equipment in the training facility, thats why you pay an entry fee that they profit from.

The original facebook comment was mine & wasn't intended to be taken seriously. However, you're right the Arch is a business but my impression is that  climbers who actually want to train are such a small  of the income stream that the owners would actually make more money if they replaced the training board & every problem above V2 with yet more V0 jug ladders.

They don't, in part, because the owners are nice guys  & I'm happy to encourage them to continue that way.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:23:54 pm
Why don't you and JamesD "get a room" and build a dedicated training facility somewhere in the big smoke, perhaps there might be enough people around to bring the cost down to less thatn £1000 per person/pcm.  :P

i.munro

• junky
#12 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 01:55:41 pm
Arrrrgh! Sorry used the baaad grading system in an earlier post. I'm off to stand in the corner now :oops:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 02:43:03 pm
It's OK you were talking about a climbing wall in London so you were just using the local system.

i.munro

• junky
#14 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 03:54:38 pm
It's OK

Nooo! I've alreday given a shedload of cash to a dodgy plastic surgeon to have my appearance altered..

I feel like I've just been released from the dungeons of the inquisition because
"he only summoned a little demon after all"

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 04:12:21 pm
I'm not going to blame someone for using that system in about the only place left in the country where it's still prolific. Apart from in the BMC's guides of course but that's just stupid. As someone said to me the other day "even the Welsh have seen sense".
 ;)

i.munro

• junky
#16 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 05:14:13 pm
. As someone said to me the other day "even the Welsh have seen sense".
 ;)

:lol:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#17 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 10, 2010, 06:31:19 pm

How does it clamp itself between the door frame, like one of those expanding bars?

Also when you say the panel is removable, is there anything left obstructing the doorway when the panel is removed when not in use?

Very interested.

Any questions about Highball Climbing's equipment should be directed to Highball Climbing  ;)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#18 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 11, 2010, 08:10:12 am

Very interested.

Any questions about Highball Climbing's equipment should be directed to Highball Climbing  ;)

it appears you would screw the two side panels in and then slot the frame in

Paul B

• forum hero
#19 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 11, 2010, 05:36:21 pm
so not workable for JamesD in rented accommodation. Powerbar me thinks, or the JML equivalent if you can hack buying from them.

dave

#20 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 11, 2010, 05:42:41 pm
How about suspending the board from a stack of discarded D3 boxes?

carlisle slapper

• menacing presence
#21 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 11, 2010, 10:13:06 pm
INTERESTING!!!!

i was under the impression that they were going to mount boards in the centre (see quote below). They seem like nice folks who run a good wall so they might have just forgotten/ not gotten round to it yet. But i'd suggest nagging them, as they certainly intended to put one up. I'll get in touch with them too to try and lend a hand in case there was a technical hitch.

"hi dan,

i was wondering if it would be possible to order 3 of each model of beastmaker board (1 to go up in our training area) the other 5 for the shop,

Kind regards

Fred"

have you looked at our free mounting article on our site? it could save you a bit of cash and provide you with an evenings entertainment. power bar mounts are the way forward as they extend out from the doorframe thus allowing 1 arm writhing space underneath and more room for hip movement when doing different positioned hangs.

Cheers,
Dan

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#22 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 12, 2010, 08:37:38 am

it appears you would screw the two side panels in and then slot the frame in

Amazing what a bit of filler and gloss paint can hide :)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#23 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 12, 2010, 12:07:58 pm
Anything that spreads the load enough so as not to bring down the whole door frame or split the wall is perfect for me, as Chris above said a bit of filler and paint is fine after we go.
This solution appeals as I was planning on putting it in the kitchen/dining room doorway, but it needs to be easily removable when not in use so as not to piss off my other house mates by obstructing the kitchen, I will shoot them across an email, to see exactly how this thing attaches.

So by the sounds of things, it seems that a beastmaker is set to go up in The Arch regardless?

Looking forward to this, that metolius thing is pretty harsh on the skin for a training device!

Dan, thank you for the advice mate, I did have a good browse through it all, but the problem is I have so little free time that finding a day to put together a worthwhile solution is out of the question for a few months at least, plus I am very concerned that my door frame cannot handle my weight the way it is distributed via the power bar style set-up, since I am around 103kg at present lol.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#24 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 12, 2010, 01:31:37 pm
i was wondering if it would be possible to order 3 of each model of beastmaker board (1 to go up in our training area) the other 5 for the shop,

So they have bought one to put up in the training area already, and a facebook campaign then appears to pay for it?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#25 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 12, 2010, 02:25:55 pm

So they have bought one to put up in the training area already, and a facebook campaign then appears to pay for it?

It appears that way...I think i'll go do something else stupid now....like ask Lewis Hamilton if he fancies any free driving lessons?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#26 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 22, 2010, 12:14:26 pm
Ok the beastmaker is up now..... :lol:

Just one thing, how the hell do any of you guys manage to even remotely hang the 45 degree slopers  :jaw:

I couldn't even hang one with one hand and my other on something easy, mental!
Anyone who can hang off of both of those is a beast no doubt.

i.munro

• junky
#27 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 26, 2010, 03:48:01 pm

Anyone who can hang off of both of those is a beast no doubt.

Woo-hoo! never been called that before.  8)
I don't think hanging them has owt to do with strength though. It's just a matter of getting enough chak off to get the friction - pulling on them now that would require strength

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#28 Re: Beastmakers for The Arch fund
March 26, 2010, 04:09:58 pm
Still impressive to me, then again I can console myself with the fact you probably don't have to lug around as much bodyweight as I do ;)

Some awesome new problems out in the back room the other day, The Arch guys an gals have outshone themselves, now if I can just get myself up to doing V2's as easily as I do most of the V1's I can enjoy a few more of these awesome problems, soon my prettys, soon.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal