UKBouldering.com

Flickr, Picasa, others.. whats best? (Read 20339 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
are words like next, previous,forward, back etc... copyrighted?
you know, the conventional words that we all use to navigate nearly 99% of websites?
Flickr is shit, deal with it

Paul B

• forum hero
firefox doesn't have forward or back stamped on the navigation buttons, we all seem to be able to use that ok. Oh but its obviously shit as well.

If you want to see a shite user interface I point you in the direction of photobucket.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
So far based on posts in this thread the question "Is Flickr Shit?"....

YayNay
JBPaulB
Obislack---line
JimBubba
cofe
dave

:yawn:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
yes but you forget me, johnny and obi are the foremost authority on if stuff is shit or not
put that in your pipe etc..

Paul B

• forum hero
I can't, its not clearly labelled where I put it in to smoke it?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Distinct bias in that list towards those who use it to host their photos. I guess folk vote with their feet.

its not about viewing pictures its about ease with which they can be uploaded and managed online

This is laughable. Why the fuck do you upload them then? Because its a joy to use the upload interface?

And you forget Obi actually is an authority on accessibility of  technology. Its his job. Seriously, if he has to ask how to use something, its shit.

Where is the shortcut for viewing this set? I hate that little filmstrip thing. I want to 'flick' between a gallery and a large image, not between medium sized images and a stupid thumbnail cursor.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse

Paul B

• forum hero
Its where it says BROWSE (that is labelled jim), or alternatively click on the set. In that instance its the whole photostream (oh look, its lit up like a link).

I host my photos on Flickr because I got sick of photobucket and its advertising nonsense, I enjoy the Strobist group and all the info I can learn from it and hated all the picasa shite that my dad sends me. I only changed a month or so ago.

Thats more like it jim. Now make sure you remember to breath... In, then out.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
I backup all my photos to Skydrive.

You get 25Gb of free storage (you can store other shit there - music/docs etc) and also share your photo albums/folders with everyone/just specific people. Slideshow views etc.

It has a drag and drop interface, and when you add pictures it asks you if you want to resize them or keep the originals. It's simple, easy to use and free.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Its where it says BROWSE (that is labelled jim), or alternatively click on the set. In that instance its the whole photostream (oh look, its lit up like a link).

I think you mean browse Which isn't lit up like a link. I must be a fucking idiot not to have found that, its the smallest text on the screen. The other link you mention, which I had found, never seems to be the set, just the entire stream. Useless.

General advice to anyone putting photos online (except slackline as he doesn't do it for folk to look at):

EDIT for fucks sake.

Tris, that sounds good, but I can't see how to look at anything without signing up.

Paul B

• forum hero
I think you mean browse Which isn't lit up like a link. I must be a fucking idiot not to have found that, its the smallest text on the screen. The other link you mention, which I had found, never seems to be the set, just the entire stream. Useless.

Thats because your in the stream, if you were in the set it'd miraculously take you to the set. My expertly drawn diagram shows which other sets that given picture belongs to.  Do I need to draw another to show you how to click the plus button and what to do next?

I sent a link for a Flickr gallery that was of my grans diamond wedding around the family, to sum it up, they're all ancient (Nat and I were the youngest, the next youngest was 50). I didn't get one email back asking how to flick between the pictures, if my grey haired relatives can work out out  :spank:.

dave

I'm amazed that apparently there are people that can build a computer from scratch, install an OS, connect to the internet, log onto a forum with a username and password and then claim not to be able to work flickr.

Some of that shit don't add up.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

I'm no good at this shit and only look at photos (as opposed to uploading my own) but I think Flickr is piss easy to use.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
its not about viewing pictures its about ease with which they can be uploaded and managed online

This is laughable. Why the fuck do you upload them then? Because its a joy to use the upload interface?

General advice to anyone putting photos online (except slackline as he doesn't do it for folk to look at):

Believe it or not I don't spend hours poring over my own pictures once I've uploaded them, I put them there for others to view (initially when I moved to Australia), and like Paul my parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, brother etc. some of whom are far from computer literate have never had a problem browsing my pictures in the five or six years I've been using Flickr.

My point in writing the above was that this thread quickly accrued input from people who only browse Flickr, yet tomtom, in the original post to the thread, didn't like the way in Picarsa over-managed his pictures forced you to use their app for uploading, hence my above statement. 

Flickr is far more flexible in the uploading of pictures as it has a WebUI, and various different tools which include official and third-party (one of the linux programs I use F-Spot allows me to upload directly, and exports the tags I've used in its database to Flickr, meaning I don't have to waste time tagging them again).  EDIT - Forgot to mention that you can upload from your mobile and upload by email too.

And you forget Obi actually is an authority on accessibility of  technology. Its his job. Seriously, if he has to ask how to use something, its shit.

He seems to do ok though (695 pics posted to date) (discovered from a picture posted here and using Flickr Look-up).

+ what dave said.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:47:17 pm by slack---line »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
I'm amazed that apparently there are people that can build a computer from scratch, install an OS, connect to the internet, log onto a forum with a username and password and then claim not to be able to work flickr.

Some of that shit don't add up.
Exactly, flickr must be shit

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
This reminds me of my Dad's B&O stereo. He maintains its brilliant, but its unusable.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.hdbeat.com/media/2006/09/boremote.jpg

Where's the fucking play button?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
This reminds me of my Dad's B&O stereo. He maintains its brilliant, but its unusable.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.hdbeat.com/media/2006/09/boremote.jpg

Where's the fucking play button?

It remind me of a P-Funk lyric (covered by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers)...

"If you have to ask, you'll never know"

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
This whole thread reminds me of a play written by a dog.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Which one?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
The hypothetical one.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Maybe they've taken 'idiot proof' too far and only idiots can work it?  ;D

I really never occured to me that the 2 thumbnails represented forward/back.
It doesn't suggest it anywhere apart from 'browse' written in the smallest almost invisible text.
Its just not obvious at all IMHO. If you hadn't posted that self-help image, I probably never of even bothered looking at anyones flickr pictures again.
Also, basically all what Johnny says as well

tomtom

• forum hero
Wow - I never meant to unleash such debate!

FWIW, I think flickr looks good but is a bit clunky to use - and I dont know why they can't have a more 'normal' scrolling preview forward backward thing - and that you seem to only have one size of large image... and finding a page of thumbnails is something I can do sometimes but not others... maybe its just me but is it a wee case of style over substance? (which is not necessarily a bad thing..)

But Picasa is a sack of shit (despite just using it). I dont think the viewing user experience is bad - its easy to use and you can find georef'd pics on a map and other stuff blahblah.. but as I put in the original post (that Slackers referred to a couple of times) the software you have to download onto your machine (unless you use the very shite online uploader) is complete log. Turd. Wank. Shite. It spends 20 mins re-ordering all my carefully ordered folders in its own silly little way... and as I copied across a load of files onto a new computer it seems to think they are all the same age (despite being in folders called 2007, 2008 etc..). Oh and theres a few other buggy clunky bits that piss me off too.

So shirley this is an opportunity for someone to make an online photo-thingy that gives you up to a gb of storage, a decent UI for uploading and viewing and with minimal advertising????  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
and that you seem to only have one size of large image...

Try the "All Sizes" button above a picture to view alternative "large" (and smaller) sizes.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
I have Picasa set up to monitor certain folders so only photos in these folders are added. I don't let it add every photo and video on my hard drives. If I want to upload photos for friends to see I use one of the many html templates available for Picasa and upload this exported website to my webspace. A fairly painless job.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
me.com?

or does everyone here hate apple CORP with as much passion as the evil google?

If you have a mac and/or iphone/iTouch then it's a pretty good service (cloud computing access to email, cal and address book, everything syncs between devices seamlessly, "find my iphone" and remote wipe in case of loss/theft, iDisk file server, oh and Galleries).

I don't use half this stuff, because i don't have an iTouch device. But i do have more than one mac and it's nice to be able to auto sync contacts, mail and calendars between the desktop and laptop.

If you have a mac you will already have iPhoto, which will upload your photos for you at the click of a button (also works well from Aperture).

admittedly it's not cheap but i don't think £59 per year is that bad for 20GB worth failsafe addressbook/cal/email backup and access to all this from my winblows machine at work. Also you can add "family members" for 1/2 price which is dandy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal