UKBouldering.com

Digital Camera recommendations (DLSR or compact?) (Read 3215 times)

Scraggadoo

• addict
Hi guys,

I'm basically a complete newbie to photography.  I bought an olympus compact about a year ago, but I found that the picture quality was very disappointing especially for landscape pictures.

Obviously wanting one or the other will come down to price, and also what I want out of a camera.  If I wanted to be able to take snaps while I am doing multipitch climbing or I'm somewhere in the mountains, I am thinking more towards a top end compact?

Advice would be recommended...  My budget is probably somewhere up to 300 quid, but if I decide it's worth it I may bide my time and save some dosh.

PS I have seen GCW's thread, but to be honest I am not sure if it is a compact I'm looking for, and if the recommendations on that thread are slightly different now?!

Ta.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not going to get much DSLR for £300, esp if you want a nice lens for landscapes. I would go for something as per GCW's thread.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
If you're on a budget, don't ignore the second-hand market.

Scraggadoo

• addict
I was thinking something like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 which goes for about 250 notes.

I was also considering second hand but do you mean DSLRs or compacts (some recommendations would be good please)?  At what price would it be considered worth getting a DSLR over a top end compact?

Paul B

• forum hero
Johnny is right. I bought a Canon EOS 1000d a little over a year ago and the other day I saw it on FFordes for next to nothing (or in Jim speak "half of f*ck all"). I'm not saying this is the way to go but its been good for me to learn with.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I've heard good things (and seen some good pics) about the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS - wideish angle (28mm) with decent zoom to 330mm.

Oh, and it shoots 720p video quite well.

I don't own one, just saying.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
I was thinking something like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 which goes for about 250 notes.

do not waste your money on a FZ38, it's the photographic equivalent of a trike

Scraggadoo

• addict
Haha thanks for the advice.  I've since been trawling the net and am liking the look of a lumix lx3 but pricey.  I'd like some degree of manual control to get a basic understanding however I am aware that a DSLR is probably best for this...

Canons G10 (there may be others I am still looking) is another possibility.

Or should I spend my money on a cheaper compact??!

EDIT: Just seen the 4/3rds thread or whatever - there was me thinking it was a pro's thread or similar...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:52:45 pm by Scraggadoo »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal