UKBouldering.com

X Box or PS3 (Read 1759 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
X Box or PS3
March 21, 2010, 07:14:25 pm
Which is best for just general game playing like car racing, football etc?
The price difference is quite great in some stores so i was wondering is this just due to Sonys pricing or is the ps3 just so much better?

As to buying used game consoles is this a good idea, because quite a few of the x boxes on e bay mostly seem to have suffered from this red ring of death whatever that is....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:28:37 pm by Nike Air »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: X Box or PS3
March 21, 2010, 07:31:33 pm
ps3 = bluray player and network media player. reason i bought mine.
for games i think its 6 of one, half dozen of t'other but i don't really play many games

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: X Box or PS3
March 21, 2010, 07:34:41 pm
With car racing games you have Forza 3 for the 360, and you'll have Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3, if they ever release it.

With the footy games, both PES and Fifa are cross-platform.

Most games are cross platform now, but Microsoft do seem to throw a lot of money at games developers ensuring that they have more exclusive content than Sony do. Not really something to base your choice on. There are still some big games that are tied to one console or the other (eg Halo).

Technically there is little to choose between them, some games look slightly better on one, and some on t'other.

The RROD is a thing of the past, buy an Elite or a "Jasper" vanilla 360. I would be wary of buying a used 360 as some of them may be locked out of Live (there was a huge banning recently).

Live multiplayer is free on the PS3 and is about £40 p/year on the 360. There are many more players on Xbox Live though.

As Jim has pointed out, the price difference is mainly because the PS3 has a Blu Ray drive.

If you want to play Blu Rays and you don't already have a dedicated player, then I'd get a PS3. If Blu Ray is irrelevant then I'd save some money and get a 360.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#3 Re: X Box or PS3
March 21, 2010, 10:57:41 pm
Never buy a 360 of Fleabay - Like Bubba said there are loads of 'locked out' consoles which flooded fleabay after the mass banning. PS3 is worth getting just to play God of War 3 - its amazing!!

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#4 Re: X Box or PS3
March 22, 2010, 05:37:55 pm
Cheers for the advice. The 360 sounds adequate for my needs.

Never buy a 360 of Fleabay - Like Bubba said there are loads of 'locked out' consoles which flooded fleabay after the mass banning. 

The RROD is a thing of the past, buy an Elite or a "Jasper" vanilla 360. I would be wary of buying a used 360 as some of them may be locked out of Live (there was a huge banning recently).

I m guessing if I never wanted to play LIVE then a second hand 360 is ok or is it better to still get one new?  BTW-Why was there a banning or lock out?

Thx again.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: X Box or PS3
March 22, 2010, 06:09:33 pm

I guess if you don't want live then yeah, any old 360 will do, but most of the best gaming is online.

People were banned because they used modded 360s online. They are very strict about it and it's a good thing as it stops assholes cheating.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#6 Re: X Box or PS3
March 22, 2010, 09:26:12 pm
Thing to remember tho is that a lot of games get patches or updates through Live so if you don't have it you can't get them. Which would be really annoying if something in your game needed fixing, regardless of whether you play online or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal