UKBouldering.com

Quality Fat Club (Read 14672 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Quality Fat Club
February 21, 2010, 10:05:52 pm
In keeping with Simon's power club may I ask the great and the good to consider a weekly ( or so ) update on the meals they have made / eaten... the nature of the the thread perhaps not so intense but hopefully a lot less painful and  just as inspiring. Non restaurant food being the focus.

I would consider Yossarian, Sloper, Picalli,  Bubba, Dolly, Paul B - and others I apologise to have missed out - to be keen exponents of the thread, this will help as the bouldering  grade range thus ranges all the way through the scale.... all very very welcome... there some talented cooks on here

If I may add some experiences:

- this weekend has been the most idle in my memory... no climbing, a thwarted XC MTB ride and gross fatigue prompting  a refusal to go to a super market.

highlights have included slow pan fried lambs kidneys ( in butter & balsamic with parsley) from Ryalls butchers...

Ryalls smoked back bacon with beans and thick wedges of Morrisons seeded granary ( very under rated bread IMO), poached eggs ( lashings of white wine vinegar added to the water of course)

a curry of greatness ( 20 dried red chillis, loads of mustard seeds, 3 tablespoons of vinegar and all the usual spices to give a lamb vindaloo not to forget) with a side dish of sag... just sag.. slow cooked in the oven... tons of fenugreek). Bought food was awesome.. a cassoulet in a jar that Yoss gave me as a fee for borrowing my bike lights..

c'mon people.. share the love..

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 21, 2010, 10:13:48 pm

This week i have been mostly eating

For brekko

For din dins. No magic mushrooms.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 21, 2010, 10:49:35 pm
next week, I'm back on the dust.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 21, 2010, 11:01:35 pm
Have been terrible this week - only one decent board session, rest of week feeling shite with a cold while enduring a pretty stressful phase of my current project at work.

As a result, been eating and drinking a load of crap - supermarket pizza, pasta bake out of a jar - you name it. My discovery of Morrison's selling large bottles of Tsingtao for £1 has not improved this diet.

Anyway, new week - back on the wagon, gonna take it easy, hammer the cardio and then I'm off to Font on Saturday.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#4 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 21, 2010, 11:01:57 pm
This week has, in the absence of Mrs Sloper resulted in a chaotic and less than balanced diet, nothing to note.

I can however confirm that several packets of crisps and other forms of yarksheer tapas were consumed in the Sheaf on Friday evening with grumpy and jasper.

Tonight was a simple roast pheasant with a bot of too young listrac medoc (2005 fourcas dupre).

I will however be setting out to design a menu which will ideally be post nuptials for friday and will bore you silly with the details later.

I am now for the record under 13 st and managed to do a 7a to the very easy last move yesterday until I got distracted by the idea of pork scratchings and a pint (that's actually a better excuse than reality)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 11:14:37 am
Last weeks winter fly fishing session at Barlow lakes caused me to make trout pate - hot smoked trout, lemon juice, tiny bit of mayo, splash of white wine, pinch of salt and pepper. We had some on wholemeal toast for lunch yesterday; fantastic.

Saturday tea was falafels with pita, olives, chopped tomato/onion/coriander, humus, feta.

Sunday dinner was boneless leg of pork, Yorkshire puds, roast spuds, onions, shallots, carrots, garlic, parsnips with vegemite enhanced gravy

I am still well under 15 stone and managed to do a 7b+ right up until the last 2 inches several times before I got bored with failure.

Dolly

• forum hero
#6 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 11:56:35 am
I think the only thing of note this week was a hazlenut roast last night - oh and haddock and wine in foil on Thursday.
When I got in from work on Friday night the kids had told me that they'd cooked smoked salmon risotto.
I haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks but would expect to be about 11 4.
Only one short sess on the board this week.  For some reason decided to let go of the break on Sean's arete (twice) on Saturday.
Determined to eat better and climb more this week. Have also got the OK from the physio to start running again (when the snow is gone)
All these good intentions will be undone on Wednesday night when I'll train for 90 mins on the board with Norton then him me and Graeme will watch Inter vs Chelsea and I'll drink far too much and eat bad bad snax

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 12:20:02 pm
I forgot the best meal of last week.
Pan fried tuna steaks in chilli butter. Served with a salad of beansprouts, peppers, onions, coriander and chilli with a garlic and soy sauce dressing.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#8 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 12:42:34 pm

All these good intentions will be undone on Wednesday night when I'll train for 90 mins on the board with Norton then him me and Graeme will watch Inter vs Chelsea and I'll drink far too much and eat bad bad snax

You not supplying sufficient pop for me and Graeme to drink too much too then?  Your standards are dropping, a bit like you off Sean's.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 07:11:14 pm
Mornflakes are the bizzle. Almost tempted to wad you for such good taste in cereal.

That pesto looks good too.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#10 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 07:41:51 pm
you fookin knows it

Pesto on special in Morrisons.

Sloper

• forum hero
#11 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 22, 2010, 07:59:50 pm
That looks like Ivan Greene in the middle have Morrisons expanded stateside? And why is Lagers on a jolly?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#12 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 23, 2010, 05:23:31 pm
I did rather nice panfried venison steaks (in some tasty old goose fat and a few juniper berries) for saturday lunch, with a rather unctuous flageolet and savoy cabbage concoction.  accompanied by a reasonable primitivo.

nothing of note since then, but I ordered the meat for this weekends frenchie extravaganza.

I've got a load of pork belly, shoulder and backfat with which to make a load of rillettes.

I'm doing a pretty hefty Boeuf Bourguignon on the saturday night - a tweaked version of the les halles one, with chuck steak.   that will be accompanied by a magnum of 1979 premier cru santenay, two of which i bought on a whim from BBR a few months back.

Possibly wine poached pears to follow.

Then a mammoth Pot Au Feu the following lunchtime. Consisting of a big rolled brisket, 10 short ribs, 10 pieces of oxtail, 1 tongue, 6 pieces of veal shank, 4 pigs trotters, and some vegetables for the girls.

Dessert to be decided.  Wine will be something more, erm, rustic that the night before. Oh, and cheese, but not sure what yet. And some sourdough du maison Yossarian.

fried

• forum hero
#13 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 24, 2010, 03:51:56 pm
Last week knocked up a pretty good Thai red curry that lasted the whole week for me the missus + various guests, then at the weekend banged up chicken yassa (Senegalese - lots of onion, vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard) that's lasted me all this week. What am I going to do with my 10 litre pot this week hmm?

Sloper

• forum hero
#14 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 24, 2010, 07:31:56 pm
Tonight will be a slow cook guinnea fowl with wild mushrooms, white wine, cream and a dash of islingotn ketchup (that's truffle oil to you regional plebs)

Probably try it with a 2003 medoc.

Dolly

• forum hero
#15 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 10:04:34 am
As expected drank too much beer last night whilst watching Inter vs Chelsea with Norton. (We did train first)
After that ....

Put a whole Camembert in foil, stud it with garlic, pour in some white wine and a little butter and mustard. Seal the foil and bake it for about 20 minutes. Serve on a bed of cabbage with smoked mackerel. Lovely drippy smelly melty cheesiness

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#16 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 11:06:24 am
nice.

I've poured pernod into one, and baked it on a BBQ... dip for bread like no other!

Dolly

• forum hero
#17 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 11:16:24 am
That sounds mouth wateringly good

I fookin love melted cheese me

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 11:30:06 am
As expected drank too much beer last night whilst watching Inter vs Chelsea with Norton. (We did train first)
After that ....

Put a whole Camembert in foil, stud it with garlic, pour in some white wine and a little butter and mustard. Seal the foil and bake it for about 20 minutes. Serve on a bed of cabbage with smoked mackerel. Lovely drippy smelly melty cheesiness

That sounds fucking amazing.

EDIT - in fact, I'm going home via Waitrose this evening.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:46:59 am by Jaspersharpe »

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#19 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 12:28:21 pm
Baked Camembert is one of the most amazing things ever.  8)  Everyone should try it.

Sloper

• forum hero
#20 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:00:18 pm
After that ....

That sounds fucking amazing.

Go to the silver hill larder at the top of Ecclesal Road South, higher quality, lower prices.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:01:03 pm
Do you think I'm made of time?

Sloper

• forum hero
#22 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:02:46 pm
I thought you were made of a matrix of platinum, titanium and unicorn horn?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:08:13 pm
Do you think I'm made of time?

Why not swing by Asda then  :P

Dolly

• forum hero
#24 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:27:32 pm

Camembert on special offer there ATM - just been for some more

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#25 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 01:44:52 pm
YYFY.  ;D

Sloper

• forum hero
#26 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 04:14:43 pm
I thought I recognised you in the cheese isle.

Dolly

• forum hero
#27 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 05:10:47 pm
Me or Jasper ?
Aisle not isle BTW  :-*

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 05:12:04 pm
Wasn't me I'm still at work!

rich d

• forum hero
#29 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 06:38:13 pm
Been on a bit of a cheese lick myself this week. Get some nice feta, put a bit of honey on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds, then grill it, and serve on sliced tomatoes and basil dressed with olive oil and finely sliced chillies. Also which may be my new favourite, get a soft goats cheese, roll it in walnut oil, then in breadcrumbs and blitzed walnuts. Bake in a hot oven for about 20mins and serve on rocket, watercress and baked beetroot dressed with walnut oil and lemon juice. Very very nice.

Sloper

• forum hero
#30 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 07:25:47 pm
Me or Jasper ?
Aisle not isle BTW  :-*

You, you're a lot taller in real life than on the telli

Dolly

• forum hero
#31 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 25, 2010, 07:37:19 pm
You should have said hello mate
You could even have bought me that bottle of wine :)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#32 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 26, 2010, 07:13:45 pm
Ever tried baking Camembert in a puff pastry package?  To be served with homemade red onion marmalade.  Delicious.

Sloper

• forum hero
#33 Re: Quality Fat Club
February 26, 2010, 07:18:22 pm
Tonight we've kicked off with a bot of vintage fizz as Mrs Sloper has good work news and will be moving on to

cod cheeks and scallops with roasted tomato dressed with a tarragon beurre blanc and a good 2004 burgundy

wild duck with caramalised shallots and crushed artichoke with herbs, a 2002 Margaux

Pear tarts with a spiced custard.

Digestif who knows?

Hopefully I can have a pint and watch the first half of the wales game during bath time.

Dolly

• forum hero
#34 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 04, 2010, 12:18:10 pm
No-one's posted on this thread for a bit  - can't believe its less popular than all that guff about training in the UKB power thread.
Anyway... I know its a classic well known dish but on Tuesday night did Parmigiana. Here's my take on it
Slice 3 aubergines and roast in oven in loads of olive oil.
Meanwhile make tomato sauce by frying 2 large cloves of garlic in more oil until they're nearly burning then cob in 3 tins of toms with a splash of red wine and reduce for ages until its thick and creamy.
When the aubs and sauce are done just put alternate layers of aubergine, sauce and taleggio cheese starting with aubergines. back in the oven for another 10 minutes to let the cheese brown and then gorge yourself on more melted cheesiness.

oh yeah the climbing bit
Went to Almscliff on Saturday and climbed until my fingers uncurled
Trained on the board Monday and last night.
No idea what I weigh but not too stressed about it 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#35 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 05, 2010, 09:36:23 am
chicken breasts stuffed with thyme, streaky rolled around them, baked in even till all juicy.

Juice then in heavy pan... sun dried tomato paste, chopped red chilli... slash of white wine.. 1 tub of creme fraiche..

slice breasts..

served with griddled asparagus.

- not trained all week, was shite at the works last weekend.... failed miserably on various reds.

nite ride MTB last weds - solo... various woods, footpaths and lesser know pieces of singletrack later I was a very happy man. the trails were in the main firm and the roots were dry.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#36 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 05, 2010, 09:59:37 am
It's good this thread. I'll try that one at the weekend thanks fatdoc.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#37 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 05, 2010, 11:05:37 am
freshly slaughtered 2lb trout - filleted

marinaded in light soy, honey (1:1 mix) and finely chopped/mashed coriander

fried mostly on skin side until skin was crispy

heaven

Dolly

• forum hero
#38 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 05, 2010, 02:21:15 pm
Would I be able to buy some trout off you please Lagers ?  - I mean the next time you catch some and have any spare. I wouldn't know how to fillet it and all that stuff tho'

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#39 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 05, 2010, 04:07:52 pm
Last week consisted of eating lots of fruit and simply fried fish with rice and chilli - seems to be the staple diet on Bali. Not forgetting stacks of airline/airport shit and as much red wine as I could get from the stewardesses - which was quite a lot  :alky:

fried

• forum hero
#40 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 06, 2010, 12:23:29 pm
With the trout try stuffing it with a mixture of honey, soy sauce, avocado and pistachio.  :P

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#41 Re: Quality Fat Club
March 12, 2010, 09:14:09 pm
Would I be able to buy some trout off you please Lagers ?

With the amount of time and effort I put in it would be daft to sell them. I'll give you some though. I'll PM you.

Tonight, with the wife (that's Mrs Lagers) out having fun, I thought I'd treat myself to something I've been meaning to do for ages - a nice club sandwich. 3 slices of toasted white bread; roast chicken, mayo and mature cheddar on the bottom layer; bacon, letuce and tomato on the top layer. Pinned with cocktail sticks and cut into triangles.
 :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal