UKBouldering.com

pads on planes (Read 14414 times)

rodma

• forum hero
#25 Re: pads on planes
December 05, 2011, 12:56:57 pm
Thought I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one....

We are flying to El Paso on Tuesday and will be taking a large Moon pad.  The new restrictions are pretty vague and I'm not sure what to do with the pad. Would it be better to take it to pieces and strap it into a bag or just wrap my normal bag inside it and hope for the best?

Anyone been long haul with a pad on BA recently?

Cheers

We didn't fly BA, but did take the Mondo to El Paso.

We were charged an additional $50 on the return leg for having three items of hold luggage rather than two, but weren't charged anything extra on the way out (new tax was brought in whilst we were away).

El Paso on Tuesday!! That's nothing, I'm going to stranraer  :'(

Enjoy the trip (especially the amazing country and western style airport)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: pads on planes
February 20, 2015, 02:21:27 pm
Just to revive this topic, a trip to Colorado is on the cards, probably flying with BA to denver, looking here http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances it seems there should be no problem in strapping two mats together as a piece of checked luggage, has anyone done this recently with/without problems?
Thanks

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#27 Re: pads on planes
February 20, 2015, 05:25:19 pm
BA has this:
Bag sizes and bulky items

A checked bag can be up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in) – including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

We have special arrangements for sporting equipment like skis and surfboards and large musical instruments. In many cases these can be carried as part of your free baggage allowance.

Carrying sporting goods and musical instruments

Oversized bags

Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)

Any items larger than 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) require separate shipping as cargo.

How to ship bulky items as cargo
An regular sized pad is generally around 36in x 24in x 9in (folded).  I haven't flown BA, so I don't know how strict they are, but it seems like most airlines vary from airport to airport.  I've been asked to pay oversize before for mine, but generally it's not a problem once people see that they're really light.  The weight is where they seem to be strict. 

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#28 Re: pads on planes
February 21, 2015, 03:54:17 pm
Mine caused some rather strange looks with Seychelles Air. :-[

honroid

• addict
#29 Re: pads on planes
March 02, 2015, 07:49:34 pm
I flown my Snap Wrap (pretty big) Easyjet to Milan with no issues and my Metolius Boss Hog to Indonesia no issues. I have always wrapped up the pads with a basher / light weight tarp around and put it in oversize luggage. It's worth checking out the dimensions for the airline as said above.

chris20

• menacing presence
#30 Re: pads on planes
November 15, 2015, 11:31:57 am
Just back from Albarracin, flew with Ryanair from Stansted to Madrid and put the dominator in as normal checked baggage (15 quid each way) and had no problems.  All I did was remove the shoulder straps and it went to oversized baggage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal