UKBouldering.com

Bouldering near Montpellier? (Read 7059 times)

JK

• regular
Bouldering near Montpellier?
February 25, 2010, 03:22:58 pm
I'm potentially going to Montpellier with work for a few days so wondered if anyone knew of a good bouldering spot in that area? Time will be quite limited and will be on my tod hence why not doing routes.

Cheers

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Bouldering near Montpellier?
February 25, 2010, 05:36:06 pm
Ooh, I know the answer to this one !!!

The best (and pretty much only) bouldering around Montpellier is near the town of Lodeve.

Le Prieuré and Salces have really nice sandstone blocs. Both spots are in the woods and have a good grade range.

Loads of pictures/vids/etc here : http://lodevebloc.blogspot.com/. It's worth buying the topo for Le Prieuré - only 3€.

There are small limestone bouldering venues in St Jean de Vedas and Castelnau le lez, but they're only worth an afternoon if you're desperate.

Montpellier itself is a really nice town. Not too big, lots going on.

There are two climbing walls, both run by Altissimo: http://www.altissimo-escalade.com/. The Odysseum wall is right near a Tram stop, so easy to get to. The Grabels wall is a bit more hardcore. Both have smallish bouldering areas and BIG lead walls (ropes are supplied...).

There are two climbing shops, expé near the town center and Le Yeti in a village called Jacou.

You don't say when you might be around, but it's possible to climb all year round - Le Prieuré gets a bit green in winter and very hot in summer, but there's always something to do. Local sport crags are St Bauzille de Montmel, Claret and Thaurac (closest to furthest). Sunny in the winter, shady on summer evenings.

PS it's a VERY long drive to Annot, Targasonne and Font from Montpellier

JK

• regular
#2 Re: Bouldering near Montpellier?
February 26, 2010, 11:00:11 am
Thanks for all that info - really useful thanks  :thumbsup:. I'll be there for 2-3 days just after easter so hopefully weather should be OK and I'll be able to sneak in an evening session. Good to know about climbing walls to just in case.

Is Le Prieure quite easy to find?

Palomides

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Bouldering near Montpellier?
February 26, 2010, 01:46:57 pm
It's not too bad to find.

Drive from Montpellier to Lodeve (about 45mins, free motorway). Take the exit for Lodeve, but don't turn left over the river into Lodeve center, keep going north and there's a road that goes right (east) uphill towards "Prieuré St Michel de Grandmont" Follow this up. Before you reach the priory, there's a small parking spot on the left, slightly above the road right next to a big concrete electricity pylon. Park there, then cross the road at the far end of the parking to find a small path that heads downhill.

You pop out above the left-hand side of the climbing - the crag is L-shaped, with a stream in the angle, and bouldering on the crag and on lots of detached boulders below (all hidden in the trees).

Drop me a PM if you need more info, I know a few people who live in the area so might be able to hook you up with someone to give you the tour.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal