UKBouldering.com

Dream Lenses (Read 36981 times)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#25 Re: Dream Lenses
February 18, 2010, 06:02:47 pm
Dream lenses or what i'd class as my favourite lenses are as follows:

14-24mm f2.8 zoom Super sharp and a really awesome uniform distortion which just looks great when you wanna push yourself close-up into a scene, I imagine this makes it pretty good for landscapes

24-70mm f2.8 zoom

Versatile, fast and pin sharp this is my favourite lens for weddings/events, portraiture, fashion, it just looks great no matter what you are doing with it, I like the contrasty yet refined look it gives as well.

70-200m f2.8 zoom (the new recent one)

Everything the 24-70mm has spec and image quality wise in a longer focal length, the previous version was decent but never quite measured up to its baby brother in terms of Image Quality, the new one however is flipping awesome, hired one a month or so ago and I love it.
Its the only lens out of this line-up I don't own at the moment but I like the new version so much I may well purchase one.

dave

#26 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 09:23:59 am
The longer the lens, the less the depth of field. The bigger the sensor/ film area, the less the depth of field.

To clarify this point (not for JB, he knows this) cos this could be misinterpreted, the above two are the same point really. Bigger formats have less DOF because for the same angle of view you have to use longer lenses. So a 35mm lens on DX has greater DOF than a 50mm on FX, and even more so than an 80mm on 645, but they all give you roughly the same angle of view.

But for the same focal length lens its the same, means that if Paul will get the same DOF with his 50mm lens at f/8 on a DX body or an FX body. The framing and shot will be different, but if you're focussed at say 2m then an object at 1m will be out of focus to the same degree on the sensor on either body.

The only real parameters in DOF are aperture and magnification. So paul can get the same degree of DOF as shots with a 200mm f/2 with his 50mm lens but he'll have to stand 4 times as close to the subject, or use a 12mm lens and insert it up the subject's nose. This is one reason people like that 200mm for portraits if they want or need a lot of working space. Plus it gives that flattened/collapsed perspective look that you can only get from standing back with a long lens. Others like a slightly more intimate approach to portraits, hence why lenses in the 85-135mm range were always popular portrait lenses on 35mm.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 09:45:49 am
There is a lot of misinformation on this subject on the net (the DoF article on LL, for example). This isn't the place to get into it, if for no other reason that it is of little practical use, suffice to say both I and Dave have simplified it in different ways that can both be argued to be technically wrong, but usefully right.

(In short, the focal length does have an effect. When you get into macro this becomes obvious)

dave

#28 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 09:53:57 am
There is a lot of misinformation on this subject on the net (the DoF article on LL, for example).

I recon DOF is one of those subjects.....

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#29 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 10:01:09 am
Then we could talk about pin cushion distortion and barrel distortion.

Or maybe we could get into the Nikon vs Canon debate again for the 156 millionth time.......

It never gets old watching Nikon win :thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 10:21:37 am
I think the key confusion comes from folk getting into depth of field calculations, when what they are actually interested in is background blur and field of view control, which DoF maths doesn't really help you on, but focal lengths certainly do. That's what Paul B is asking about in relation to the 200mm /2 lens, and hence my reply. The old magnification/ aperture line isn't strictly true, nor of much use in the real world..

dave

#31 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 10:38:12 am
The old magnification/ aperture line isn't strictly true, nor of much use in the real world..

It is entirely true though, and useful to understand. Especially with landscapes etc.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 10:43:10 am
I knew this would happen... Its not entirely true, its a myth.

cofe

• forum hero
#33 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 10:46:26 am
Stop arguing you two, and just buy yourselves a couple of D3s each.

dave

#34 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:02:15 am
I knew this would happen... Its not entirely true, its a myth.

That's not entirely watertight though - yes the rear sign is vastly less sharp in the long-lens shot but its also at greatly increased magnification.

Clearly you can't take the exact same shot and achieve some same magnification of every aspect of the scene with a 25mm and 300mm lens because of perspective and flattening of the scene with the long lens etc. But if you backed up the 300mm lens so that the overall broad framing of the shot was the same (i.e. same overall magnification, not just of the front test chart) then the DOF would be the same.

I'm turning in to everything i hate here.

The D3s is in the post.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#35 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:08:45 am
D3s? Or D3ses? I'd need 20Mp minimum to justify such a big camera.

If you're working with a single camera/ format, the following is all you need to know:

Anyway, I figured I might try to do a quick, painless end-around on the subject, and try to tell you what actually matters about DoF. I'm going to ignore the technical explanation: because That Way Lie Dragons; Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter there; etc. I'm doing that on purpose, so please don't write to fill me in.

1. By far—by far—the most important factor in how much DoF you'll get is your distance setting. The farther the distance between the lens and whatever it's focused on, the more you'll get in the DoF.

2. Next most important: the focal length of the lens relative to the size of the film/sensor. Again, on principle, let's forget all the tech-talk about what's "really" going on and the scientific explanations and all that. All you need to remember is that the longer the lens, the less apparent DoF there will be in your shots. And, big jumps matter, little ones not so much; there's not that much difference between an 85mm and a 100mm, or between a 24mm and a 20mm. Very roughly speaking, when there's a 2x or 1/2x difference in focal length, you're going to have noticeably different DoF characteristics to learn.

3. Last: aperture setting. When I was teaching, all my kids had to memorize the following phrase: "The higher the number the smaller the hole the greater the depth of field." Can you see differences? Of course. But again, it takes relatively bigger jumps to really matter all that much. The other two factors matter more.

If you're using multiple formats, (which Paul isn't, though he is comparing his kit to...) all you need add is that:

4. for the same angle of view and aperture, the bigger format will have less depth of field.
(though this will entail a longer lens, so you could just stick with rule 2...)

When I want selective focus effects, ie isolating a subject from the background, I prefer to use a larger format than a longer lens. Mainly because I'm loathe to lose the background, and hence the context, but its also subtler. For a good illustration, compare Alex Messenger's and Al Lee's stuff, as they each tend to use the opposite method. 

But if you backed up the 300mm lens so that the overall broad framing of the shot was the same (i.e. same overall magnification, not just of the front test chart) then the DOF would be the same.

No it wouldn't - that's the whole point of the article. Not just the depth of field would change, but also how it falls either side of the point of focus would change (the 25mm would obey the 1/3-2/3 rule, the 300mm 1/2 and 1/2). None of this has huge relevance to actual photogaphy though. Its a shame the myth is so widely circulated as it means at some point you have to relearn everything, not to progress your photography, but just to ensure you aren't wrong.

cofe

• forum hero
#36 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:12:38 am
Just do what I do word and don't learn anything at all. And get a babby lense on that D3 quick smart.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#37 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:15:55 am

If you're working with a single camera/ format, the following is all you need to know:

Anyway, I figured I might try to do a quick, painless end-around on the subject, and try to tell you what actually matters about DoF. I'm going to ignore the technical explanation: because That Way Lie Dragons; Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter there; etc. I'm doing that on purpose, so please don't write to fill me in.

1. By far—by far—the most important factor in how much DoF you'll get is your distance setting. The farther the distance between the lens and whatever it's focused on, the more you'll get in the DoF.

2. Next most important: the focal length of the lens relative to the size of the film/sensor. Again, on principle, let's forget all the tech-talk about what's "really" going on and the scientific explanations and all that. All you need to remember is that the longer the lens, the less apparent DoF there will be in your shots. And, big jumps matter, little ones not so much; there's not that much difference between an 85mm and a 100mm, or between a 24mm and a 20mm. Very roughly speaking, when there's a 2x or 1/2x difference in focal length, you're going to have noticeably different DoF characteristics to learn.

3. Last: aperture setting. When I was teaching, all my kids had to memorize the following phrase: "The higher the number the smaller the hole the greater the depth of field." Can you see differences? Of course. But again, it takes relatively bigger jumps to really matter all that much. The other two factors matter more.

If you're using multiple formats, (which Paul isn't, though he is comparing his kit to...) all you need add is that:

4. for the same angle of view and aperture, the bigger format will have less depth of field.

When I want selective focus effects, ie isolating a subject from the background, I prefer to use a larger format than a longer lens. Mainly because I'm loathe to lose the background, and hence the context, but its also subtler. For a good illustration, compare Alex Messenger's and Al Lee's stuff, as they each tend to use the opposite method. 

But if you backed up the 300mm lens so that the overall broad framing of the shot was the same (i.e. same overall magnification, not just of the front test chart) then the DOF would be the same.

No it wouldn't - that's the whole point of the article. Not just the depth of field would change, but also how it falls either side of the point of focus would change (the 25mm would obey the 1/3-2/3 rule, the 300mm 1/2 and 1/2). None of this has huge relevance to actual photogaphy though. Its a shame the myth is so widely circulated as it means at some point you have to relearn everything, not to progress your photography, but just to ensure you aren't wrong.

D3X then?

That camera is a piece of pure awesomeness, used one for two jobs recently and the files are so clean and so sharp, as good as it gets without going medium format IMO, so much more of a joy to use than a hasselblad etc as well, lighter, faster and so on.
Obviously the quality is still incomparable, but likewise I don't think there is another FF SLR that compares to the D3X out there right now.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:17:34 am
I'll add this:

5. THERE IS ONLY ONE CRITICAL PLANE OF FOCUS, EVERYTHING ELSE IN DEPTH OF FIELD IS A COMPROMISE RELEGATED TO "USABLE" FOCUS.

But in summary, for the OP that sparked the debate, if you want to isolate the subject - back up and use a longer lens. If the subject magnification and aperture are the same, the dof will be similar, BUT THE BACKGROUND WILL LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT. And that's what you're after.

D3X then?

Never guessed you'd say that  ;) For now my Mamiya is more affordable.

cofe

• forum hero
#39 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:19:21 am

D3X then?

That camera is a piece of pure awesomeness, used one for two jobs recently and the files are so clean and so sharp, as good as it gets without going medium format IMO, so much more of a joy to use than a hasselblad etc as well, lighter, faster and so on.
Obviously the quality is still incomparable, but likewise I don't think there is another FF SLR that compares to the D3X out there right now.

Are you on commission?

dave

#40 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:33:10 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#41 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 11:48:31 am
JamesD, your secret is out.

How do you zoom in and out with that?  "Go, go gadget arms"?

Paul B

• forum hero
#42 Re: Dream Lenses
February 19, 2010, 01:52:11 pm
I bet you're all glad I asked  :thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#43 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 02:39:15 am
Found a bit of an issue with the prime over the weekend, not that it wasn't there before: Zooming with your feet is all very well and good until the point at which you want to stand doesn't exist. I was at St.Bees and I either couldn't get far enough away to get the desired framing without running into a block or a chasm or something else.
I'm guessing this is where the 1.6x crop factor becomes a bit more of a ball ache? and I'm guessing that wider primes cost $$$?
(I also tried to battle the sun with my speedlights but soon realised it was a) futile and b) unecessary).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#44 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 10:27:07 am
Fighting the sun with your flashes is indeed futile. Putting a little into the shadows might not be, though digital has a lot more latitude than slide.

I not sure what the crop factor has to do with anything. You didn't have the lens you 'needed' - a wider prime mgith have worked, as might a faster zoom. Or any zoom. Photography is all about compromise. What have you got, a fiddy? Haven't you got a kit zoom that covers the 35-50 range?

cofe

• forum hero
#45 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 10:29:27 am
stand somewhere else. there's hardly ever just one shot 'on'.

or just buy a D3.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#46 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 01:18:46 pm
It's all about the D3s these days.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#47 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 01:21:08 pm
Found a bit of an issue with the prime over the weekend, not that it wasn't there before: Zooming with your feet is all very well and good until the point at which you want to stand doesn't exist. I was at St.Bees and I either couldn't get far enough away to get the desired framing without running into a block or a chasm or something else.
I'm guessing this is where the 1.6x crop factor becomes a bit more of a ball ache? and I'm guessing that wider primes cost $$$?
(I also tried to battle the sun with my speedlights but soon realised it was a) futile and b) unecessary).

Fighting the sun with flash is futile unless you have enough juice to overpower direct sunlight, (think around 400ws upwards), you can come close to doing it with hotshoe flashes if you stack 2-3 together with one of these:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Lastolite-TriFlash-Bracket-with-Locking-Shoe-Mount/p1518679?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Flashguns-_-Flashgun-Accessories-_-Lastolite-TriFlash-Bracket-with-Locking-Shoe-Mount_1518679

I have one and I have done it before at a wedding, with two sb800's firing into a big 90cm reflective umbrella, and outdoors at close range on a very sunny day it did the trick, however I used HV battery packs, and you need to get a lot closer to your subject than you would if you had a big boys flash to play with though (like a quadra/ranger etc), 3 sb800's work out to around 180-200ws at full power I think?
I also used the same set-up with 3 flashes, (the non HV'ed one set to half power) to throw light from around 50 ft away in a giant balcony to properly light the marriage ceremony, my assistant was on the far left and I was in the middle shooting (triggered with Pocketwizards) with a 70-200.

It is possible, but it is a hassle, I only use hotshoe flashes for these situations, because they are ultra portable and light, and if you want to get your hotshoe flash firing anything close to its highest power output for more than 2-3 flashes then you want to get yourself some HV packs, its quite a difference in performance.
When all is said and done though, its worth looking into Elinchrom Quadra's or the new breed of lightweight high power portable flashes that will be coming through the ranks in the next 6 months, 400ws out of a head that is smaller than an sb800 is pretty damn impressive....and no doubt they will be around to hire in a similar timeframe I would say, alternatively its quite easy to find profoto kits to hire, I think their portable small kit is called the Acute B, and you can hire 1 pack + Head for around 30-40 quid a day, at 600ws it is ample juice to overpower sunlight if thats what you want to do, for modifiers I would recommend a reflective dish, beauty dish, or reflective umbrella, you want the minimum amount of light loss so you also want minimal diffusion.
My two pence.

dave

#48 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 01:28:29 pm
Or you could just get a camera with an electronic shutter and blast away at 1/8000th with a single bog standard flash on a cord. Try that with a D3.

cofe

• forum hero
#49 Re: Dream Lenses
April 01, 2010, 01:34:21 pm

i think paul has worked the actual answer out for himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal