UKBouldering.com

Brooker (Read 36438 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#25 Re: Brooker
December 12, 2011, 04:39:51 pm
I enjoyed National Anthem but it was a rather sub-Brass Eye trip  down a well-trodden path. 

By comparison, 15 million merits, was far a more imaginative and risky venture, but he nailed it.  Beautifully made and acted, rather touching in a manner unusual for sci-fi.  Disturbed by giving voice to how, in my darker moments, I feel things are rapidly going.  Nice touch how the reward for Bing's compliance was a slightly bigger cell with better rendered artificial scenery; he lost his soul to upgrade to a gilded cage.  The tone rather reminded me of the sci-fi sections of David Mitchell's Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas.   

Maybe Charlie Brooker has a future in film?  Who'd have thought that a few years ago, when his output consisited of short, funny rants about shit telly.  I can't think of many critics who've successfully dared to put their reputation on the line like that.

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Brooker
December 13, 2011, 04:24:06 pm
well put. Cloud Atlas is sat on my desk, maybe its time.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#27 Re: Brooker
December 13, 2011, 05:01:25 pm
I thought it was very interesting, and well done, but it always seems a little strange, or uncomfortable to me, to observe a critical perspective of media driven society by watching the telly. Remember: The revolution will not be televised.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#28 Re: Brooker
December 13, 2011, 06:18:29 pm
I thought it was very interesting, and well done, but it always seems a little strange, or uncomfortable to me, to observe a critical perspective of media driven society by watching the telly. Remember: The revolution will not be televised.

A bit like Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead? - a telly programme showing you things to do instead of watching telly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/titles/whydontyou.shtml

Pantontino

• forum hero
#29 Re: Brooker
December 13, 2011, 06:21:29 pm
well put. Cloud Atlas is sat on my desk, maybe its time.

Awesome book, best writer of his generation.

clm

• forum hero
#30 Re: Brooker
December 13, 2011, 06:35:50 pm
:jab:

It is televised. Itv4 on a Monday night. Cav was on the last one.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#31 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 10:07:40 am
i know it wasn't written by cb (was produced by him though) but i thought this might be a good place to say how good i thought black mirror was last night.

really amazing writing, direction and acting. one of the best uk made for tv things i've seen for ages.

anybody else hovering over the facebook delete button this morning?

dave

#32 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 10:10:03 am
yeah it was really good. Written by the 4lions/peepshow dude.

What I've liked about all three in the series is they're the kind of thing you watch and then a day later you're still thinking about them.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#33 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 10:10:21 am
f*cking cheating ar$e whor£

that is all

cofe

• forum hero
#34 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 10:32:10 am
last night's was the best yet. so good. and scary.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#35 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 10:56:11 am
Haven’t managed to catch any of the other ones but thought the one last night was great, very clever. Need to ‘re-do’ the end bit again on 4OD and use pause to see if the rapid succession of images which flash up as he removes the grain give any clues to how things ended with his wife – which will be life imitating art.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#36 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 11:04:01 am
Haven’t managed to catch any of the other ones but thought the one last night was great, very clever. Need to ‘re-do’ the end bit again on 4OD and use pause to see if the rapid succession of images which flash up as he removes the grain give any clues to how things ended with his wife – which will be life imitating art.

ooo. good heads up on that....didnt even notice the flashback bit

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#37 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 11:24:22 am
Agree with all comments, top quality. Nice use of architecture and tech to depict a not too distant future.

Paul B

• forum hero
#38 Re: Brooker
December 19, 2011, 11:48:30 am

they don't, they're all  :hug: moments +  :lets_do_it_wild: with her (and for once 4OD is actually fully working).

dave

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#40 Re: Brooker
January 03, 2013, 11:45:16 pm
2012 Wipe is worth catching on iPlayer. On for four more days.

dave

#41 Re: Brooker
January 03, 2013, 11:52:45 pm
Word, good call.

Also on a Brooker note, anyone see on Sky/bought the DVD of Touch Of Cloth? If you haven't, you should, its well futile.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#42 Re: Brooker
February 06, 2013, 09:54:19 pm
Anyone see weekly wipe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Charlie%20Brooker's%20Weekly%20Wipe

Same old classics had me creasing, though the guest bits seemed quite forced. Doug Stanhope, he can do angry  :bow:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#43 Re: Brooker
February 07, 2013, 09:40:51 am

Pantontino

• forum hero
#44 Re: Brooker
February 07, 2013, 03:35:15 pm
Anyone see weekly wipe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Charlie%20Brooker's%20Weekly%20Wipe

Same old classics had me creasing, though the guest bits seemed quite forced. Doug Stanhope, he can do angry  :bow:

Agree about the guests this week, but Doug Stanhope is a winner. I saw him do a live show in manchester about 18 months ago. One of the greatest stand ups of all time imo.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#45 Re: Brooker
February 08, 2013, 09:38:35 am
I thought last nights weekly wipe was pretty weak. Stanhope and Shitpeas were good as usual though

Wood FT

• forum hero
#46 Re: Brooker
February 08, 2013, 10:15:22 am
I thought last nights weekly wipe was pretty weak. Stanhope and Shitpeas were good as usual though

Myabe having a kid has dulled the blade a bit

galpinos

• forum hero
#47 Re: Brooker
February 08, 2013, 10:32:23 am

It was a bit hit and miss but I did crack up at the numbers segment at the start. The two lads in animal onsies saying they had no spare money.....

Wood FT

• forum hero
#48 Re: Brooker
February 12, 2013, 03:56:44 pm
so last night's Black Mirror was fairly mind bending. Hard to say what I would do in a similar situation, I know what the common sense approach would be but could you help yourself?

Without giving too much away to those who havent seen it I would say this type of service is just around the corner, people already use social media as interative grave stones as it is.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: Brooker
February 12, 2013, 04:08:30 pm
But very few pieces of software have passed the Turing test, let alone a personalised version of it.

Not that its not possible I just think there are (quite) a few more corners to go around.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal