UKBouldering.com

Power Club 754 18 - 26 May 2024 (Read 570 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Power Club 754 18 - 26 May 2024
Yesterday at 04:53:19 pm
M - lunch, Sand Point. Adam (two weeks ago), and Alex (two days ago) had both reminded me that I'd never gone back for a go at Arrakis, an Ian Cooper 7C here from a few years ago. Most remiss of me as it's in my grade range and local. Also turns out to be excellent, and soft. Lovely stuff, with some quality heel above the head action. Eve TCA, mostly for the social as mates back from abroad, but also did a couple of new blacks and whites.
T - eve, Cheddar, Lion Rock. Mainly support crew but started trying Roy Walker Connection 8a. This climbs Shadow Walker to the undercuts (as LST) but then steps left to finish up the crux of the  E6(7c+ really, it's nearly all fixed gear), Taming of the Lion, via a bolt, a nut (which I didn't have), and a thread. First go worked out most of the new climbing but didn't get through to the thread and easy finish. Second go pulled up to the lower off and worked it out from the top. Didn't quite link the section of new climbing though. 3rd tie in had a RP, fell on the middle crux feeling pretty jaded. 4 outside sessions, 1 indoor, and a run in the last 5 days - rest is in order.
W -
T - aft/eve, Cheddar, Lion Rock. Back on Roy Walker. Much better connies, I'd go so far as to say prime. Decided to sack off the kneebar, it's not that great and although this start is a touch harder, it's less pumpy so not worth it I think. First go getting draws in and sorted better feet, not before taking the big fall though. Next go to within 3 moves of the chains, and one move from a jug, but a foot sequence error a couple of moves before had fucked me and I was off, despite being on easy ground really. Next go did it, still had to grunt my way through the last move to the jug, but pleased this one went pretty quick. Pint, pickled egg, and cheese roll at the Crown to celebrate.
F - lunch, TCA, 120 min. Whites, blacks, and blues. 10 problems, flashed 1, 2 second go, 2 with a bit of work. 4 only tried briefly, 1 put a bit of work in but no tick.
S  - 12 hr shift.
S - 12 hr shift.

71.5 kg.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Power Club 754 18 - 26 May 2024
Yesterday at 05:31:26 pm
Pissed off enough to return.

Next week STG: None stated
The usual STG: Stay focused and don't make silly mistakes - n/a. Do something challenging and inspiring on a rope, or above a pad - a couple of sport routes. Keep in regular contact with suitable friends and partners - trying but general clash of interests / motivations. Falling practise if I do routes indoors or out - n/a. Look after injuries - ugh, gym x 1 - barely, elbow rehab x 2 - x 1, shoulder rehab x 3 - x 2 overall, stretching x 3 - x3 overall.

M - Lancs photoshoot / checking. 40 mins walking, 1 x E1 5b. Productive day for the guide. Midges.

T -  Attempted bouldering. 1 x 6C in approx 500 attempts. Tired. Impinged left shoulder sore.

W - Rest. Tired. 15 mins stretching.

T - Stamina circuits at Depot. Vile. Actually made meeting Serpico there seem pleasant in comparison. Yellow (F6a, actually F6a+), yellow reverse, red (F6b, actually F6b+), red reverse, red reverse into red, red into red reverse, blue (F6c, actually hard F7a), blue reverse (both 2nd session after 2 attempts each previous session), attempted purple (F7a, actually hard F7b), attempted purple reverse. 3 sets of hand crack (VS 5a) into yellow, good burnout. Lots of rest and stretching between sets. Shoulder sore. Tiny bit of rehab.

F - 1:30 mins vague cleaning. Furious at climbing community in general and the death of any trad that isn't R***fax ""Top 50"" honeypot blandness. Midges.

S - Sport climbing at Ty Newydd with Andy F. F6b, F6c, F6c+, F6c+, attempted F7a but too hard. Not bad. No practise falls due to undulating terrain. A LOT of wild garlic. Shoulder sore Poor sleep with bad dreams, woke with anxiety.

S - Light gym rehab, various shoulder stuff. Weak and shoulder very weak. 50mins stretching which was good. Depressed mood before gym, and angry mood after. Poor sleep with bad dreams, woke with anxiety.

Have got into a general habit of trying to heed my body, avoid fatigue, rest more and pace myself, and have ended up feeling just tired as well as weak. It does seem when I'm out at the crag I'm capable of doing okay-ish at 80+% of usual capability.

Next week STG: Fuck knows.
The usual STG: Stay focused and don't make silly mistakes. Do something challenging and inspiring on a rope, or above a pad. Keep in regular contact with suitable friends and partners. Falling practise if I do routes indoors or out. Look after injuries, gym x 1, elbow rehab x 2, shoulder rehab x 3, stretching x 3.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 Re: Power Club 754 18 - 26 May 2024
Yesterday at 11:30:32 pm
Fiend,
You climbed really well on Saturday. That 6c/+ you onsighted was hard and difficult to read. Don't be so hard on yourself.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
M - Bristol to see family. 0500 Avon Gorge hit. Tried a sharp 6B to warm up. Failed to do it, but I’m sure there is some simple techy knack that makes it easy. Moved on to Most Choice. Failed to get beyond first move on this last year. Today made quick progress and soon found myself established in the scoop. Luckily jugs led the way to the top, as it’s high enough to be just outside my comfort zone. Really fun. First of the ‘Choice’ routes for me. Remember looking at these some point from 2006-8 and thinking they looked totally blank. Almost like a non climbers perspective. Nice to do something from old home crag with some degree of personal history. After that tried to repeat the Arête problem but the angels were pushing me down. Maybe one day I’ll be as technically proficient as I was in 2016.
Yoga. Weird pain in hand developing.

T - Nothing. Right index MCP joint swollen up a bit unfortunately. Can crimp pain free, can’t quite make fist. Ibuprofen.

W - Unexpected rain forced me to rest the swollen MCP. Perhaps the angels are on my side after all. 5k ish run and then run between various shops looking for anchovies to take total to 9.6k. Yoga.

T - Yoga. Again, was going to get out but finger not quite normal. So close but a bit more rest probably sensible to prevent a blip becoming an issue. Bristol esoterica will have to wait for another visit.

F - Nothing I think.

S - Morning elbow physio weights session and pull ups. Yoga.

S - Nothing.

Bit of a shame to miss the chance to try out some of the problems I have left at amenable grades around Bristol, but enjoyed the stuff I did do and pleased to get up the lowest of the Avon highballs. All will still be waiting and at some point I need to get back to Sand Point too!

Finger improving, hopefully just a transient issue. Missed a few of days yoga. Aim for better consistency next week.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Fiend, 
I’m not surprised that you have recurring tweaks aches & pains when I see how much you do every week.
Rest  :devangel: do something

andy popp

• forum hero
Fiend,
You climbed really well on Saturday. That 6c/+ you onsighted was hard and difficult to read. Don't be so hard on yourself.

When I watch Fiend's videos my reaction is often: "Fiend's climbing well."

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Monday -

Evening Finger board on 18mm edges
Finger Strength Assessment 18mm edges. Half Crimp

Very pleased with results with a return to training

100kg total weight for 7sec half crimp.

93kg total weight 11April

105kg total weight 12Feb the week before my surgery.

Tuesday
Depot after work.
20min projects
30degree Wood board
Birthday cake mix bench 2024.
Spanked on the Moonboard

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Fingerboard on 18mm edge. Half crimp
3x 10sec hangs. Total weight 85.6kg. Felt good. 8/10 effort level
Body weight repeaters

3x7:3sec hangs 1min rest. 5 sets.
Pleased as I couldn’t do this body weight repeaters session completely in January 24.

Friday
Rest

Saturday
Depot project Session on the 30 degree hardwood board.

3x3 pull up on the minute
Fingerboard warmup

4x4.1 6reps on the minute
King Louie V4 flash. Repeated again
Macc the life. V4. Spent 20mins on this.

Sunday
Virgin Gym in the morning for strength training.
Hoped to spend my birthday at Peter Dale. But weather did not comply.

Off to Ibiza with the family on Tuesday for some warm water and hot sun

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club

Mon - board climbing, set and climbed a problem after hellish work day. Back work.
Tue - DL 531 week 7 (my two previous entries mistook week number). Pull ups, one leg RDL.
Wed - very tired. AM as usual; PM weights, abs, Lattice edge mixed grips.
Thu - TRX, weights.
Fri - bike trip, theraband, push ups.
Sat - as above.
Sun - bike trip, 4x AM session at home. So tired.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Shockingly dismal week, after wall session on sat and outdoors Sun last weekend, skin was shot.

M - 10 km run
T - nowt, short lunch walk
W - walk to and from garage to get car
T - 7.5km lunch run. Lifted a kettlebell a bit
F - nowt
S - DIY
S - DIY.

Pain in scapular area now, from DIY..

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
M - lunch, Sand Point. Adam (two weeks ago), and Alex (two days ago) had both reminded me that I'd never gone back for a go at Arrakis, an Ian Cooper 7C here from a few years ago. Most remiss of me as it's in my grade range and local. Also turns out to be excellent, and soft. Lovely stuff, with some quality heel above the head action.

So psyched someone else has used the invert beta on that!  :punk: I was a bit sad when more people started repeating it the right way up.

The undercut has improved since the FA which I imagine makes it a better problem and a bit easier, maybe the more boring sequence is #biggradesforbadbeta now? :shrug:

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
M - 10km walk. Swam 0.5km in the murk.

T - Fingerboard pickups, left only, all grips, to 36kg. Right elbow rehab. pick-ups to 22kg. Hip flexibility.

W - Last minute change of plan due to flood warning in N Wales. The Environmental Agent suggested Cornwall. Drove down through biblical rain. Hip flexibility.

T - Chair Ladder, with the Environmental Agent. Hiked up Terrier’s Tooth (not banned but a bit birdy so missed the full summit experience) and the excellent South Face Direct.

F - Bosigran, with the Environmental Agent. Swapped leads on Ding and the good but pokey Visions of Johanna on the main cliff. Apparently I've done this before but have precisely zero recollection.

S - Checked out the Gallipoli Wall (Bosigran Ridge area) but this was damp so went back to the main cliff at which point it started raining properly. Took a rest day and did some hip stretches.

S - A damp Carn Barra. Led Axis and Exodus between showers. The Environmental Agent tried the “much attempted” Dialectic but E1s on damp and polished granite was a bit too much for her and I wasn't tempted either.

Great to get out of London for a few days even if the weather in Cornwall hasn't turned out to be much better than other parts of the UK: glorious sun one moment, pissing with rain 45 minutes later. The hedgerows are looking glorious with May flowers. (Very) easy trad. has proved to be exactly what the elbow needed, it’s been good all week. Now time to ramp things back up gradually.

Family get-together on Exmoor for the rest of this week so unlikely to be doing much climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal