UKBouldering.com

Canon 450d auto focus problem (Read 7556 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 11:56:34 am
Anybody else encountered problems with the auto focus function on a Canon 450d?

I've had mine for about 18 months and it was fine at first, but started playing up randomly just before Christmas. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would just seize up with that little green light flashing at me, but never settling.

I wondered if I was alone in encountering this problem, so googled and found various similar scenarios:

e.g. http://www.pbase.com/nh/450d_af_test

I contacted Canon and they said there was 'no known (I guess they mean 'acknowledged') problem' with auto focus on 450ds. The call centre was the usual robotic/infuriating experience that we can expect from large corporations these days (reading from a script, putting me on hold, then repeating the same phrases until I start to lose the will to live, etc). I was then directed to an approved repairer who told me that they would do a service of the camera body for £162. I asked if they had many problems with 450ds and auto focus and he admitted that, yes, it was a common issue.

So, at what point does Canon admit that they have a 'known problem' on one of their most popular cameras? I'm guessing in the light of the Toyota brand collapse they won't be rushing to admit any fault on their behalf (not that this is an issue of quite the same magnitude).

I'm left with a dilemma - do I pay the £162 and stick with a potentially recurring problem (see your man's experience in the above link) or do I curse my stupidity (for believing the Canon hype and of course not listening to Dave and getting a Nikon) and go and take the bigger financial hit to get a similar quality/function/weight Nikon?

I'm really pissed off with Canon - aside from the hassle and the money, I messed up and missed out on some important pictures this winter. But then again, maybe I'm naive to expect reliability in an electronic camera?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#1 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 12:01:15 pm
Does it do this even in bright light?

If so, there's a problem. If it's under warranty then send it back with a strongly worded letter about how disappointed you are in their customer services.

Apparently you should have bought a Nikon

dave

#2 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 12:04:48 pm
I've never had an autofocus problem with my Mamiya.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#3 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 12:31:50 pm
Does it do this even in bright light?

If so, there's a problem. If it's under warranty then send it back with a strongly worded letter about how disappointed you are in their customer services.

Apparently you should have bought a Nikon

Yes.

It's not under warranty anymore.

I know, I know, I know... :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 12:45:53 pm

FWIW my 450d has been (touch wood) ok so far.

Is it on all lenses? Can you clean the contacts as that link suggested?

dave

#5 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 11, 2010, 12:55:15 pm
You'd think if Canon hanve given you the nod that its a known fault then they should fix that for you outside of the warranty - if its a glitch in the camera not wear and tear then you're covered by consumer legislation. Might be worth looking into.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#6 Re: Canon 450d auto focus problem
February 26, 2010, 11:04:12 am
In retrospect I'm slightly embarassed by my toy throwing rant as I've managed to solve the issue (at least at the moment) by getting a new lens.

Even so, I'd hoped for a bit more than a year and a bit's life from it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal