UKBouldering.com

IT News (Read 157614 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#250 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 09:25:11 am
I think its reached the point where the higher they price it, the more people assume its amazing and the less rational they get about the features.

It's a fucking clever business model!

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#251 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 09:36:15 am
No iPhone 5, just an "upgrade" to the iPhone4S (with features it should really have had in the first place, many of which are software, which is what I thought applications were for!).

Yeah its not a big leap either in terms of keeping up with the competition.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#252 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 10:13:25 am
the misses has the galaxy S2 and its an amazing bit of kit. I'm still yet to be impressed by the android OS tho

tomtom

• forum hero
#253 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 10:20:42 am
Well the 3Gs was a big success, so I guess they are going along with that business model.

My 4 is going fine so I see no need to upgrade... but I know folk who have a 3Gs who are looking to upgrade and this is good news for them (as far as they are concerned)...

The camera stuff is nice - and the A5 processor will make things snappier (as indeed they are on the iPad2), longer battery life all good etc.. so it makes perfect sense for someone wanting to upgrade or buy an Ifern for the first time but not for those with a 4 already. Much the same as when the 3Gs superceded the 3G...

I dont really get the whole voice thing. I have dragon speak, and voice recognition on the handsfree in the car, but I never use them. I prefer pressing keys (or screen) to dictating an email to people. You would look a complete cock dictating your sales report to your phone on the 8:12 to Waterloo for example...

I think the whole hardware/software/ revenue model of the IT industry is really interesting at the moment...

Apple make $$ from the hardware but a fair bit from content with Itunes too...

Amazon are being clever with the fire - and kindles - if they play their cards right they will make $$$ from the content rather than the hardware (Which is probably at or close to a loss)

Also in the news this week is that IBM have overtaken MS in company value for the first time since the 80's... this is on the back of them ditching their hardware operation (to Lenovo) and working on core business IT...

And then theres MS, making $$ still from OS, and banking on a tablet/desktop crossover OS (which I think will be a good idea..) as well as Xbox, though dont they make the $$ on content and licencing rather than hardware??

And Google.. who make money from adverts.. but seem to be creeping into every day life inexorably..

Stubbs

#254 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 10:48:17 am
I note from that comparison that the competition are all massive, at some point HTC are just going to start selling tablets labelled up as phones!  Hopefully there will be something of a more normal size when it comes to updating by Desire.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#255 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 12:02:27 pm
You would look a complete cock dictating your sales report to your phone on the 8:12 to Waterloo for example...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#256 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 12:05:11 pm
I note from that comparison that the competition are all massive, at some point HTC are just going to start selling tablets labelled up as phones!  Hopefully there will be something of a more normal size when it comes to updating by Desire.

The offering compared there is a Win7 based phone.

The next Android offering after the Desire was the Sensation, the recently announced Ruby/Amaze is their next Android based phone (and continues the large size trend).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#257 Re: IT News
October 05, 2011, 06:15:52 pm
I think its reached the point where the higher they price it, the more people assume its amazing and the less rational they get about the features.

as someone who has to  self fund a smart phone of a certain level of encryption  to work effectively ( leaves me with the choice of blueberri or ifern) then I would say havin to upgrade to original 4  from a 3G was a rather flat, and expensive experience. This "S" seems to just fix the crap bits of the 4 IMO.. and to close down the free siri app and then ask cash for it is like way poor....

faster performance and better battery would be cool.. but I'm not bothered.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#258 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 09:10:35 am

cofe

• forum hero
#259 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 09:13:25 am
Very sad.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#260 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 09:43:33 am
Get the new 4GS to cheer you up, you know its what he would have wanted.

tomtom

• forum hero
#261 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 10:16:03 am
Thats a bit glib slackers...

Apple fanboi or not, you have to admit that in the past 10 years Apple (under Jobs' influence) have made fundamental changes in how we use phones, to a degree computers, listen to music and buy music..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#262 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 10:24:18 am
He was a very savvy (and aggressive) business man/marketeer, no doubt about it.

Apple will continue without him though as he also had a very large team designing and making the products.

I think mp3 players and smartphones would have happened anyway, and there are better alternatives to Apples products on these fronts as I don't agree with the DRM of music (and other media) that stems from his influence.

cofe

• forum hero
#263 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 10:32:37 am
Thats a bit glib slackers...

agreed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#264 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 10:38:55 am
Sorry to have offended you, I just can't empathise with the feeling of loss when some "celebrity" dies that there is no personal connection with.  I've more empathy for my work colleague who got home yesterday to find out his father in Zimbabwae had died.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#265 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:04:06 pm
Lunchtime news trawl...

To me, to you, to me, to you I wonder when these companies will gen up on Game Theory and learn that tit-for-tat is not the optimal strategy.  :wall:

New first person "shooter"

Been reading some interesting obits on Jobs (eg), and he's not quite the business magnate I'd thought he was, with tales of him pursuing his own ideas regardless, he was just lucky to have anticipated mp3 players and smart phones.  And strange that as a buddhist he seemed to have little time for environmental issues and far less, almost non-existant, philanthropic tendencies for his fellow humans than his contemporary Gates.  And he may well have fiddled his taxes too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#266 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:11:06 pm
I feel sad for the premature loss of an amazing individual.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#267 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:21:48 pm
I only found out quite recently that he was in charge of (and majority shareholder in) Pixar until Disney bought it (making him the largest individual shareholder in Disney).

Whatever you think of Apple (or indeed Disney) as a company, that's a pretty amazing cv / portfolio he had!

Thought this was quite funny re the ridiculous outpouring of grief on Twitter though:

www.twitter.com/andykiko/status/121914427384668162

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#268 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:26:25 pm
in the context of his death this is isad, without the hysterics

http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

start it at 9:45 for the best bit
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:36:43 pm by fatdoc »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#269 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:27:57 pm
iSad for the premature loss of an amazing individual.

Amazing perhaps, but despite all the things he did with Apple and NeXT (/Pixar) from the above linked obit...

...his ruthless streak became apparent aged 23 when his then girlfriend gave birth to his daughter. For two years, though already wealthy, he denied paternity while the baby's mother went on welfare. At one point he even swore an affidavit to the effect that he was "sterile and infertile", so could not be the father.

...was vicious about business rivals, and in contrast to, say, Bill Gates, refused to have any truck with notions of corporate responsibility. He habitually parked his Mercedes in the disabled parking slot at Apple headquarters and one of his first acts on returning to the company in 1997 was to terminate all of its corporate philanthropy programmes.

He ruled Apple with a combination of foul-mouthed tantrums and charm, withering scorn and carefully judged flattery. People were either geniuses or "bozos", and those in his regular orbit found that they could flip with no warning from one category to the other, in what became known as the "hero-shithead roller coaster". Employees worried about getting trapped with Jobs in a lift, afraid that they might not have a job when the doors opened.

One senior executive admitted that before heading into a meeting with Jobs, she embraced the mindset of a bullfighter entering the ring: "I pretend I'm already dead."

Sounds like he was quite ruthless :devangel:

cofe

• forum hero
#270 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:52:29 pm
a ruthless businessman - you don't see many of those  :o

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#271 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:56:00 pm
I know its quite unsettling to think there are these companies being led by people who have nothing but cash symbols in their sight.

Denying paternal responsibilities is a rather cuntish thing to do too (something which he eventually rescinded).

cofe

• forum hero
#272 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 01:59:04 pm
..and you read the Telegraph ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#273 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 02:12:47 pm
Nah followed a link from someone on twitter (never look at the site as I was under the impression that its all pay-walled, but I was mistakenly thinking of The Times).

cofe

• forum hero
#274 Re: IT News
October 06, 2011, 02:15:13 pm
I was kidding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal