UKBouldering.com

Site Sale (Read 34996 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#75 Re: Site Sale
February 12, 2010, 09:35:45 pm
Awww, this thread is making me a bit weepy.   Shall we have a group hug? :'(  :gin&hormones:

Lá equen: áva nainuvalyë; an lá ilyë níreli nar úmiéo.

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#76 Re: Site Sale
February 15, 2010, 02:56:17 pm
 :dance1:  Good effort Simon and Toby. Oh, and by the way, are you mad taking on this fuckin' mad hoose? :jaw:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#77 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 12:12:56 pm
Just an idea, but what about jazzing up the Wiki a bit more to help increase traffic?

I get the impression its pretty underused at the moment.  It appears only myself and GCW have written anything up to date.

But it has the potential to be another shop-front for UKB if its bulked out with more content and has some banner adds and/or AdWords included.

I've just added a section on the Handy Web-Cams, and at some (vague) point in the future will try and get all of the topos on Vimeo included on the site, but can't modify the inclusion of banners/adwords.

Just an idea that might help put a few more pennies in the coffers.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#78 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 12:17:50 pm
I still get an error whenever I try to log into the Wiki

Internal error
From UkBouldering

There was either an authentication database error or you are not allowed to update your external account.

Backtrace:

#0 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(352): User->setPassword('hOUDini likes coffee enemas')
#1 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(517): LoginForm->initUser(Object(User), true)
#2 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(422): LoginForm->attemptAutoCreate(Object(User))
#3 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(524): LoginForm->authenticateUserData()
#4 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(107): LoginForm->processLogin()
#5 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(17): LoginForm->execute()
#6 [internal function]: wfSpecialUserlogin(NULL, Object(SpecialPage))
#7 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/SpecialPage.php(771): call_user_func('wfSpecialUserlo...', NULL, Object(SpecialPage))
#8 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/SpecialPage.php(559): SpecialPage->execute(NULL)
#9 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(229): SpecialPage::executePath(Object(Title))
#10 /var/www/boulder/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(59): MediaWiki->initializeSpecialCases(Object(Title), Object(OutputPage), Object(WebRequest))
#11 /var/www/boulder/wiki/index.php(116): MediaWiki->initialize(Object(Title), NULL, Object(OutputPage), Object(User), Object(WebRequest))
#12 {main}

:furious:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#79 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 01:01:13 pm
Is there an option to store topos etc on UKB/the Wiki?  I ask because Vimeo storage sizes are becoming more limited nowadays and things like the Brownstones guide are quite big

I guess there is as its a MediaWiki installation (that used by Wikipedia) and you can upload images at least to that, although the button selection for editing is rather more limited than Wikipedia's implementation, need to go and read the MediaWiki docs (local help files don't appear to be installed).

Just tried uploading a PDF, but it appears I'm unable to, upon submitting the file to be uploaded it blanks the path to the PDF from the box and tells me the field is empty.  Perhaps there is currently a block on uploading *.pdf files?  The history of uploaded files only lists *.gif 's.

Would need to have this changed somehow if possible if the Wiki is to have the topos included (perhaps due to the limitation's appearing on Vimeo, and to promote UKB further).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#80 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 02:06:25 pm
A more obvious link to the Wiki might be a good idea too, I never know where to find it.

This is where I go back out to the Home page and there's a massive flashing banner for it.  :-[

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#81 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 03:06:30 pm

Quick answers:

- wiki logins may need to be sorted after the recent forum upgrades - some users on ukcaving can't get in.
- agree that the wiki needs more publicity and this is something being discussed.
- wiki can store pdfs but needs to be explicitly enabled.
- yes magpie, something like the navbar at http://ukcaving.com/board might be a good idea.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#82 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 03:08:56 pm
yes magpie, something like the navbar at http://ukcaving.com/board might be a good idea.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I meant.  Then nosy people might be more inclined to click, at the moment it's only going to get looked at by people who know it is there.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#83 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 05:32:07 pm
I'm another who can't log on to the wiki.
If the log in can be sorted I'll upload my tweaked version(s) of Klimb as mentioned in the 2010 training diary thread.
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,13199.0.html

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#84 Re: Site Sale
February 23, 2010, 05:42:30 pm

Ok, I'll try to get it sorted over the next few days...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#85 Re: Site Sale
February 24, 2010, 07:02:10 am

- wiki can store pdfs but needs to be explicitly enabled.

Cool, let us know and I'll have a go at migrating/mirroring the topos over.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#86 Re: Site Sale
December 16, 2018, 05:52:42 pm
I’m pleased to announce that Scouse deadlifting wad and coding genius Sam Williams (Climbing Sheep) is my new partner and co-owner of UKB. It seems fitting to mark the occasion with selling UKB tee shirts again.

From a business point of view we want to get the site back on to a more stable financial and technology footing. A major update of the site in reliability, look and functionality is overdue. Sam will be working on this over the next few months and we will look for feedback on a test site when its ready.

Thanks to our sponsors past and present who have kept the boat afloat for the last 8 years. We will look afresh at ways to ensure that our Sponsors get excellent value for their support of UKB.

As for the community nature and character of UKB and it being a place for keen climbers to have open discussions long may that continue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:22:24 am by shark »

Duma

• forum hero
#87 Re: Site Sale
December 16, 2018, 06:46:32 pm
Does this mean that I can start being more outspoken again? And can we have dave back?  ;) :worms:

Oh, and all hail to our new IO#2

(Hi Sam  :wave: )

user deactivated

#88 Re: Site Sale
December 16, 2018, 09:25:51 pm
Where did Dave ever go?

tomtom

• forum hero
#89 Re: Site Sale
December 16, 2018, 09:27:49 pm
Where did Dave ever go?

Insta/project magazine

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#90 Re: Site Sale
December 16, 2018, 09:28:38 pm
Was Dave banned?!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#91 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 10:37:17 am
Sheepy is a fine appointment! Great news.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#92 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 10:50:42 am
Was Dave banned?!

He quit posting after his moderator status was removed for criticising the way the forum update was handled as I understand it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#93 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 11:09:27 am
Welcome IO3!

I still really like the site even if it seems a bit quiet these days. Hope it keeps going :)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#94 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 11:30:54 am
Where did Dave ever go?

Insta/project magazine

One could percieve a conflict of interest if a mod. launches another online bouldering-focused media platform.

user deactivated

#95 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 11:40:58 am
Nah. The thing I always liked about ukb is it didn’t seem about making money and had a more subversive edge than the other channel. Not everyone has to have a ‘good attitude’ here. It’s maybe lost a bit of that over the years. These days we all conform to the system haha

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#96 Re: Site Sale
December 17, 2018, 12:54:22 pm

One could perceive a conflict of interest if a mod. launches another online bouldering-focused media platform.

Grimer is (was?) an editor for R&I and has his own burgeoning multimedia platform - burn the witch!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal