UKBouldering.com

NNFN probably torn my PCL! (Read 14074 times)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#25 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
April 28, 2010, 03:04:54 pm
  If you get really bored while you have your brace on I will play Scrabble with you on Facebook*.   ;)

*not a euphemism

Urban Dictionary suggests otherwise:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrabble

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
April 28, 2010, 11:57:22 pm
jamie big hands did the nose wearing his knee brace.you will be fine.my wife had surgery on both knees today she is a legend

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#27 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
April 29, 2010, 09:31:00 am
Scrabble, ps3, bluray and chin ups - that's my life for the next month or so  :P
Is that:

jamie big hands did the nose wearing his knee brace.you will be fine.my wife had surgery on both knees, today she is a legend

Or has she had surgery on both knees today?

Punctuation, get some!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#28 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 05, 2010, 09:10:30 am
Rich, how's your wife doing?

Not long now, only another 5 days. I've started up a rehab blog, probably mostly uninteresting, but for anyone else who's likely to be going for the same surgery it might be helpful.
http://pcl-rehab.blogspot.com/]
[url]http://pcl-rehab.blogspot.com/
[/url]

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 05, 2010, 10:12:13 am
ou sroted out your games console probs yet?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#30 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 05, 2010, 10:27:21 am
Aye, just took it back and got my money back, then went and bought another one. Need to get some more games though.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#31 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
March 16, 2012, 10:35:00 pm
Sorry to resurrect this old thread (particularly as I'm basically a lurker round here), but I've just ruptured my PCL  :oops: and wondered if any previous posters or others could give me a few hints based on their own experiences?

I'm currently living in Canada (probably until summer 2013), so will likely try to rehab without surgery if I will be able to do some hiking, climbing and skiing in that time, as surgery would mean waiting and recovering when I want to be exploring! I've had an MRI and seen a consultant and he thought this was a sensible plan. Of those who didn't have surgery, I just wondered what limitations you found in the medium term? Heel-hooking I can see would be tricky. What about running and/or hiking? How quickly did you manage to get back to days out on rough ground or to bouldering?

Fultonius: your blog and posts have been one of the few places of detailed information of any use that I can find. Much kudos for putting it all out there. On return to the UK I may well seek surgery in the interests of long term health and function. Did you get treated on the NHS in the end? I can see that you worked hard and have got to a good position with it, which is inspiring.

Cheers all for any anecdotes. SCIENCE is great too, but understand that it's not necessarily what I'm after here  :)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#32 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
April 23, 2012, 07:44:51 pm
Just in Geneva airport, on the way back from 3 days of powder in chamonix! Yyfy!

Just for a bit of inspiration,  that's at least 50 ski days this year and not too many knee issues.

It's a major operation, so, I reckon give it a shot without surgery,  but if it feels unstable then you'll probably need surgery asap. Give me a pm if you want any more info.

P. S.  How did you do it? Like gcw said above,  are you sure it a *just* the pcl?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:07:12 pm by Fultonius »

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#33 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 04, 2012, 12:23:09 pm
Sorry to resurrect this old thread (particularly as I'm basically a lurker round here), but I've just ruptured my PCL  :oops: and wondered if any previous posters or others could give me a few hints based on their own experiences?

I'm currently living in Canada (probably until summer 2013), so will likely try to rehab without surgery if I will be able to do some hiking, climbing and skiing in that time, as surgery would mean waiting and recovering when I want to be exploring! I've had an MRI and seen a consultant and he thought this was a sensible plan.

It's nearly 3 years since I did my left PCL and now the knee basically feels fine for rock climbing and running.  I chose not to have surgery, worked hard rehab.ing my knee for about 4-5 months and have been doing stuff intermittently since then.  My L. quads are still a bit weaker than R. but I am R. footed and I don't know how much difference there was pre-injury.  I should do more L. quads. strengthening work.  I can do a full single-leg squat with either leg, so I'm not completely feeble.

Science says that following surgical ligament repair, the muscles and balance are by no means as good as an uninjured knee even in those who have had quite extensive physio./rehabilitation.  There is very little science specific to PCLsThe long-term outcomes of surgery are quite good but people who don't have surgery also do quite well (if the PCL only injured). 

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#34 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 04, 2012, 05:44:56 pm
Fultonius, Duncan, really appreciate your input.

Mine was ruptured in a skiing fall. Very unusual. I have a total (or near enough to make no difference) rupture of the PCL, and a grade 2 tear of the MCL. I saw a good sports orthopod who thought that the MCL should heal without major issues; it seems to be doing well and is only bothered by twisting into drop-knee positions now. All the other structures of the knee were assessed as intact and stable.

I've been working with a knowledgeable kinesiologist/strength-coach to get back to good movement and durability, so the rehab side is taken care of as well as it can be for the moment. Running is also coming along OK. I walk most downhill at the moment, but find any kind of sustained downhill leaves me with a dull ache that makes me worry about the long term impact.

Duncan; it was interesting to hear that you have been OK with climbing and running. Thanks for the links. I think I already had that picture from my own reading, but that's some good information. It's great to hear that function can be reasonable without surgery. I guess my concern is about long term health, and whether it is worth pursuing the surgery for the chance that it will improve long-term outcomes. It all seems pretty uncertain.

Fultonius; great to hear that you had a good ski season! This was my first, and I probably had about 30-40 days before getting injured. I'd like to do some touring next season, so we'll see how the rehab goes...

Thanks both!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#35 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 08, 2012, 11:49:57 am
I guess my concern is about long term health, and whether it is worth pursuing the surgery for the chance that it will improve long-term outcomes. It all seems pretty uncertain.

That's the crucial question isn't it?  I have no idea as to the answer.  My uninformed view is that surgery might improve long-term outcomes but we don't know for sure and, as always, there is a slight risk of a much worse outcome.  Because I was managing fuctionally I decided against opting for a theoretical and currently unproven (I think) benefit.  Unfortunately, I wont know for another 20 years if it was a good decision for me!

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#36 Re: NNFN probably torn my PCL!
May 14, 2012, 06:03:08 pm
Duncan, you're completely right in the short/medium term.

My concern is that I've read a lot of accounts suggesting that the problems of going without the surgery often rear their heads within 3-5 years in active people, rather than holding out for 15-20. By the time you start having pain/issues, the osteo is already well established. Hmmm.

I'll be keeping my eye on the state of the surgical art I think - I share the view that doing no harm through a botched op has a lot gong for it, but if they get more confident about the outcomes it seems pretty inviting?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal