UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Riders Group Inaugural Meeting - Lescar 1st Feb (Read 9706 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
This looks as though it might be a damn fine idea.  Get a group together to fight the flattening of the trails/4x4 abuse/lack of trails in the Peak etc etc.  See you all there......

http://www.18bikes.co.uk/news.php?articleshow=400 :beer2:

cofe

• forum hero
I'll try and get to that john

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
I will struggle.

Cofe & you know my views. I ride with a spade these days.... ;)

by building in Lady cannings.. do they mean a dwelling or a Xc / AM jump &  hop and skip trail???

fatkid2000

• junky
I can get there , it's only a few mins from home for me - now I've finished A&E.  ;D

FD - I want my bikes back

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
I will struggle.

by building in Lady cannings.. do they mean a dwelling or a Xc / AM jump &  hop and skip trail???

I think, initially, it'll just be an easyish bit of s/track, but it could lead to bigger and better things.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
I will struggle.

I think, initially, it'll just be an easyish bit of s/track, but it could lead to bigger and better things.

I know this won't win me any popularity points, but  I'd hate to see purpose built mb trails in Lady's Cannings plantation. This is a beautiful and  quiet wood, on a busy Summer's day when burbage is swarming, one can wonder quietly around these wood's and up to Houndkirk in relative peace.
Although it may start as a local thing, surely there is a fair chance are it will  eventually be swarming with MB's and changed forever, with even more pressure on the area around Burbage.
I am a MB er and am fully supportive of the need for trails, but surely there are better places to do it - to spread the load. E.g why not build some proper xc, ramp trails down the side  of win hill, much more space, less locals and much better parking?

Sorry for being a Kiljoy :(

cofe

• forum hero
the obvious place to build proper stuff is in severn trent's woodland around ladybower and derwent. so much unused land. sadly the local ST people are so fucking short sighted this will never happen.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive

I know this won't win me any popularity points, but  I'd hate to see purpose built mb trails in Lady's Cannings plantation. This is a beautiful and  quiet wood, on a busy Summer's day when burbage is swarming, one can wonder quietly around these wood's and up to Houndkirk in relative peace.
Although it may start as a local thing, surely there is a fair chance are it will  eventually be swarming with MB's and changed forever, with even more pressure on the area around Burbage.
I am a MB er and am fully supportive of the need for trails, but surely there are better places to do it - to spread the load. E.g why not build some proper xc, ramp trails down the side  of win hill, much more space, less locals and much better parking?

See where you're coming from Snoopy.  All the more reason to come to the meeting.  I heaertily agree with Cofe too, the situation with the ST land around Ladybower is a joke.  Thankfully, Ride The Peak are keeping up the pressure and the fact that people unknown  ;)  are building trails is putting pressure on the local managers to come up with a solution........

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I can get there , it's only a few mins from home for me - now I've finished A&E.  ;D

come and get em.

sunday morning BTW??? and some time when we are both off at night nxt week.. I am fuckin unfit again mind..

I'll lube up your heckler. I suppose you want the forks back.... :whistle:  on it.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful

See where you're coming from Snoopy.  All the more reason to come to the meeting.  I heaertily agree with Cofe too, the situation with the ST land around Ladybower is a joke.  Thankfully, Ride The Peak are keeping up the pressure and the fact that people unknown  ;)  are building trails is putting pressure on the local managers to come up with a solution........
:agree: snoopy.

+ with Cofe.. just give us the hill off Win to the water, backside through the woods ( near Narnia..) no one else uses it, it's shite for anything else and theres a rideable way up off to the side.

That's what 18bikes / cofe & i have discussed in the past.

fatkid2000

• junky

come and get em.

sunday morning BTW??? and some time when we are both off at night nxt week.. I am fuckin unfit again mind..

I'll lube up your heckler. I suppose you want the forks back.... :whistle:  on it.

Those forks were running beautifully I pray they haven't been fatdoctored!!

Sunday good at the moment - and any day next week. I'm fat at the mo and fucking unfit.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
See you at the Lessy.

FD/Fatkid - am up for some midweek riding now the snow has gone.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
I'm really looking forward to this meeting. Will also be up for some midweek action.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Bump.  Who's going??   :beer2:

cofe

• forum hero

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
see you there.  i'll be the one with a pint in my hand..........

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
just got in from work - though i know a few that went... any news?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
just got in from work - though i know a few that went... any news?

:beer1: :beer2: :pissed:

hairich

• obsessive maniac
wanted to go but at work till 8.whats the shizzle john

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Ah, the shizzle.  Well, I'm guessing there were upwards of 40 folk there including a healthy UKB contingent.   :ang:
Initially, Henry Norman outlined his reasons for calling the meeting, mainly that he's feeling pretty isolated on the Sheffield Local Access Forum as the only MBer amongst all the walkers, horsey folk and the like.  He knows there's a big MB community out there and he wants to be able to claim a mandate of some sort.  Once he'd thrown it open to the floor, things went a bit tits up for a while as people discussed the rights and wrongs of developing trails in Lady Canning's plantation.  Some thought it an irrelvance, others thought we'd get token support from Sheffield CC and then they'd just let it wither on the vine a la Wharncliff.  Took a while to convince some people that it wasn't meant to be a single issue group.  Finally agreed that the important thing was that a large number of MBers had turned out for an evening and that there were a number of issues that need addressing, ie, all the usual candidates - bridleway 'improvement', lack of linking trails into the Peak, lack of purpose built trails.  Also had some input from John Dardon (sp?) who is one of the parks and countryside officers for SCC.  He's been working alongside Peaty to get the trails built up at the Ski village.  Reckons we have some persuading to do to get the council to take MBing seriously, but it's not an insurmountable task..

Biggest problem is to provide a workable web based forum for the new group without going to a full-blown website.  Apart from Facebook and Yahoo groups, has anyone got any bright ideas?

And we  :beer2:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:21:12 am by john horscroft »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Biggest problem is to provide a workable web based forum for the new group without going to a full-blown website.  Apart from Facebook and Yahoo groups, has anyone got any bright ideas?

You could use a free blog such as WordPress that will also host the site and then use a Forum Plugin, although I'm not sure if you can use such a plugin on a hosted service, you may have to host it yourself.

You could alternatively all get Google Wave accounts and use that for collaborative communication (the barrier being that you still need invites to sign up at present).

There's actually quite a lot of hosted Content Management Systems (CMS) which is basically all a forum/blog is.  Another one (never tried it, only just found it) is FreeFlux, or the Wetpaint sites that have been succesfully used by climbers in Wales for the Slate, Winter climbs, Gogarth, Tremadog and Limestone.

In fact in obtaining the North Wales wetpaint links I see there is a forum section at the bottom of the Winter Climbs one, so Wetpaint may be a great option as it will include a forum, and the ability to collaboratively work on and develop pages/documents.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
 :shrug:  Erm, lost me about three lines in there Slackers!  May have to pm you for an idiots guide.  Sounds good though! :goodidea:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
:shrug:  Erm, lost me about three lines in there Slackers!  May have to pm you for an idiots guide.  Sounds good though! :goodidea:

Just go to WetPaint, register choose a name for your site and off you go, its as simple as using a Word Processor (ok poor analogy as type-setting software that separates content from style is waaaay easier the a Word Processor).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
if this turns into a true voice of the MTB community in the city ( gravity -slaves being somewhat disjointed and more DH based).... i'd chuck in some start up costs if needed.

I do not have the time to administrate / sort / work it out... But I'd stump up a few 100 as a one off to build an online presence. Tap up cofe's boss and 18 bikes and I'm sure the cash wouldnt be an issue. Does the I.T. knowledge of this forum have the will?

Good synopsis John, cheers.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
That's a brilliant offer FD  :thumbsup: I'll let Henry know................

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I'd seriously consider the free options first, check out the N Wales WetPaint Wiki's I linked above for brilliant examples of how the sites can be developed and built by interested individuals.

All it needs is people with the time to sit down and write the pages, which you'd need anyway if you went for a custom designed/written web-site.

cofe

• forum hero
if people want to be added to the contacts list to be kept informed of what's happening, then email Henry at: ridesheffield (at) googlemail.com

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Just had a look at the Slate wiki Slackers - superb.  Could well be the answer.  I shall investigate further and return to you to resolve the inevitable jh fuck-up.................

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Meeting covered on Bikemagic by that fuckin' hack whassisname......................

http://www.bikemagic.com/ride-features/sheffield-riders-get-together/7551.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal