UKBouldering.com

Lock shizzle.... (Read 1928 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Lock shizzle....
January 19, 2010, 10:40:23 pm
Hello,
Decided to relegate my 2001 Trek to a commuter bike (it never goes off road nowadays..) and i am planning to get some slicks lights mudguards etc.. all fine and dandy... but..
I dont have a clue what the latest/recent thing in locks is. Last time I bought a lock it was a Ubolt, but I heard these are pish nowadays... It'll be locked in a 'safe' (my arse) bike store at work so it doesnt have to be mega nailed down but I'd still like to get something worthwhile. Whats good and whats a good combo? (bolt and chain/cord combo?)
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Lock shizzle....
January 19, 2010, 11:10:26 pm
Bought an Abus U-lock recently, €70. 

Not the very best from their range but it's not too bulky yet weighs plenty and was rated by the german version of Which  as being very good.  Has a lovely clasp for it to snap into its', frame bracket, tight fit too.  You get a second key w/ a code on it should you lose one or both.  If you quote the code, replacements can be purchased.

Think this is the top of the range model

http://www.bike-locks.com/product.aspx?id=127

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lock shizzle....
January 20, 2010, 08:50:28 am
as you have now relegated it to a work bike.the trick to stop it being knicked is to make it look worthless.paint it with bright yellow hammerite paint and add some rusty parts.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#3 Re: Lock shizzle....
January 20, 2010, 09:12:01 am
as you have now relegated it to a work bike.the trick to stop it being knicked is to make it look worthless.paint it with bright yellow hammerite paint and add some rusty parts.

Doesn't work! I sprayed my £120 ebay special florescent pint and they still went to the trouble of getting the bolt croppers on the lock!

chappers

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lock shizzle....
January 20, 2010, 09:51:05 am

i use two locks, one of them for the back wheel, and a cable for the front. but as said, make the bike look fully shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal