UKBouldering.com

iPod-type portable video thingy for Font? (Read 4730 times)

Nigel

• forum hero
iPod-type portable video thingy for Font?
January 19, 2010, 12:57:11 pm
To better explain the title (!) - I'm off to Font in mid-Feb, and I want to continue my quest to be more like Jim (a worthy aim). This means I have to have some kind off handheld electronic device onto which I can download the realplayer vids from the bleauinfo website, allowing me to crib beta while actually at the crag. It would also be good if it played music back to me.

I'm a bit of a technical dunce so what do I need to look out for? Will an Mp4 player be OK? Will I need to convert files? If so how? Other info: I want to spend about £50 and don't really care whether it looks cool or not. Any recommendations from the experts out there? Cheers guys.  :thumbsup:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
presumably you'll be claiming a lower grade than the problems are given then since an ascent won't be an on sight?   :oops:

dave

would it be cheaper to get a phone that you can get internet on, and just stream them from the site? woudl mean you don't have to spend ages downloading before you go.

cofe

• forum hero
can't wait to hear jim's suggestions. hopefully involving an attempted download of the entire bleau site onto a laptop.

seriously, you'll need to convert the files. probably. a bunch of benders gave me help for an ipod here:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6096.0.html

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
can't wait to hear jim's suggestions. hopefully involving an attempted download of the entire bleau site onto a laptop.

seriously, you'll need to convert the files. probably. a bunch of benders gave me help for an ipod here:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6096.0.html

....and you could probably pick up an old iFart cheap second hand (and within you're proposed budget if your lucky).

Nigel

• forum hero
would it be cheaper to get a phone that you can get internet on, and just stream them from the site? woudl mean you don't have to spend ages downloading before you go.

Like I say, I'm a technical dunce, so probably not! I also know what problems I want to do, so downloading for a while doesn't bother me. I also don't have an MP3 player at the mo, hence why I fancied one of those.

seriously, you'll need to convert the files. probably. a bunch of benders gave me help for an ipod here

Nice cofe, I'll prob need some of that!

Question - would something like this do the trick with a bit of conversion trickery?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GoGear-SA3245-Video-Player/dp/B00170IU9K

cofe

• forum hero
probably should work. having not read back through that other thread, i think you need one thing to get them off the site and another to convert to correct format. will be a bit annoying at first then fine once you've nailed the process.

ben

• obsessive maniac
am wanting to do something similar with my ipod touch for the April trip, but that other thread is way too geeky for me. Anyone got an idiots guide to getting bleau vids onto an ipod?

cofe

• forum hero
that was an idiots guide. me being the idiot. it's basically not piss, unless there's some new software out there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Word. This is the newer version of mine.

Pros: I believe the price, battery life and functions (radio etc) are superior to an ipod. The screens are good. Once you've got the settings right in super exporting vids to the right format is easy. Size - like a nano but thicker=less fragile.

Cons: not many accessories available (speaker docks etc), lack of a scrolling wheel makes interface a bit clunkier.

8Gb isn't massive, but split it down the middle for music and video and you should have plenty. You just don't get to take your entire music collection, which can be a good thing.

I don't know much about getting the films off the bleau site, but there are plenty of free stream-ripper apps out there. I'm sure Jim will help.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

:lol:

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Anyone got any knowledge on downloading the MPEG-4 / H.264 video's from bleau.info

Tried a few video downloader addons for firefox but couldn't make it happen.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I would say the 2" screen is a little bit too small, apart from that Johnny's suggestion looks Bo
Unfortunately I don't know much about MP4 players as I have no need for one as my phone does everything like that for me.
If it was me in your shoes, I would be looking to get an earlier smart phone with a memory card slot, then you can have your phone/mp3/mp4/radio and sat nav all in one device. I will look into it further. Unfortunately time is not something I have a lot of at the moment.

For the next trip I will be attempting a site download again but hopefull so I don't get banned again, although that might be some time away as we will be trying to move house in the next couple of months.

Infact fuck it! - rob a laptop and just download bleau.info onto it

account_inactive

• forum hero
The simple solution would be to take a laptop and then go to McD's and use there internet for free. Not at the crag info but better than trying to get wifi installed at Cuvier etc

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
what we need is a way to view bleau.info offline. obviously downloading it using one of the many tools will cause you to get your ip address banned.
I will probably sent them an emal before I next go and see if there is a way to do this with their permission

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Sandisk generally make iPod-esque products, but with more features, and for less moolah. A good example in the region you're looking is the Sansa Fuze would be worth a look.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
yes there are loads of good mp4 players out there that are much better and a lot cheaper than an iLog
something like this:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/43811/CiT-MP4-Player-8Gb-2-8--TFT-Touch-Screen-with

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
what we need is a way to view bleau.info offline. obviously downloading it using one of the many tools will cause you to get your ip address banned.
I will probably sent them an emal before I next go and see if there is a way to do this with their permission

I got access to bleau root folder in there database  ;D i will sell you the log on details

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal