UKBouldering.com

Do you ham it up? (Read 5301 times)

hobblingfool

• regular
Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 10:28:58 am
I was at the local bouldering wall last night and I noticed some of the young, strong talented lads hamming it up when warming up on easy problems. Gurning, using totally unnecessary power and momentum, even going so far as to let out the odd power shriek. They do it all the time but now I have started to think maybe they are onto something. Could kidding round like this actually prepare you mentally for times when you actually have to fully commit and pull as hard as you can? Making you more in your mental comfort zone when close to your physical limit?

I don’t think they are doing it to show off, it’s just fun. They are good lads and always have fun when climbing; I’m starting to realise that despite the fact that I have been climbing for longer than they have been alive, I have much more to learn bouldering wise from them than they do from me. 

Next time I have something at my limit to try I’m going to do some easier problems before at full commitment to see if this helps focus the mind. Is this just bullshit or is it common knowledge I somehow missed?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 01:15:09 pm
It's impossible for me to replicate total commitment on a problem that doesn't require total commitment.
You can fake that, but when you'll need it you will react possibly in a different way.
I prefer to concentrate on the specifically mental aspect, using various techniques but without touching rock/holds.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 02:21:48 pm
Yes it's bullshit.

fried

• forum hero
#3 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 02:36:24 pm
I thought this was going to be about toasted ham sandwiches.

hobblingfool

• regular
#4 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 02:37:39 pm
Yes it's bullshit.
Glad to hear it, I'm far too old to start copying 16 year olds. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 03:03:16 pm
There's one young lad at the local wall who spends his entire bouldering session monkeying up and down the steep warm up problems again and again, and really showboating about it; jumping between holds, doing moves footless etc and they when he gets to the top of the problem hangs off one arm and looks around to see who has seen him do it and gives them a smile, then reverses it (or tries to). For all I know home might be really talented, but I have no idea as I have never seen him pull down on anything other than jugs.

I know I shouldn't really be bothered by it and dismiss it as exhuberance of youth, but if I'm trying to work a problem nearby and he keeps doing the same problem again and again and getting in the way it really gets on my tits to a point that I have to sack it off and go try something else because of this odious liitle oik.

rich d

• forum hero
#6 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 04:16:47 pm
I often gurn and look like I'm trying my hardest on easy problems, but that's because I probably am as I'm shit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 04:23:28 pm
Just being tools...

cha1n

• forum hero
#8 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 04:49:17 pm
Certainly sounds like silliness to me. I'm a pretty quiet, chilled out person and usually climb dead silent but when I'm pulling at my limit I can't stop myself from shouting and I don't actually realise I'm doing it until I fall off/get to the top.

I'd feel like a knob doing it on purpose, it's bad enough that I do it at all!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#9 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 05:00:29 pm
I often gurn and look like I'm trying my hardest on easy problems, but that's because I probably am as I'm shit.

beth fatty ditto

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#10 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 05:27:10 pm
Givingf them the benfit of the doubt, it may simply come down to reminding themselves that this is fun.  It's not that big of a deal, we're just occupying our spare time with something unimportant.  I find the mental baggage is one of the biggest challenges when pushing my limit, and being able to let all of that go by laughing about it is massive.

hobblingfool

• regular
#11 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 08:01:39 pm
That’s the feeling I get Sasquatch, they are good lads who climb together as a fun group, all capable of at least 7B outdoors. I do see the benefit in the style the climb easy problems, getting the body used to pulling hard while in total control. Perhaps the power screams take it a little too far. Does make me laugh though; good to have something to mock them about.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#12 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 19, 2012, 09:56:19 pm
odious liitle oik.

Who knew Boris was on UKB?

Last person I saw campussing up a jug route was a very young girl wearing a GB vest at the foundry. Seeing as I can only just bloody climb the thing, I was more impressed than anything.

Occasionally I gain amusement from people dicking about, but luckily I rarely see something as odious as your lad there.

Apart from most of the desk staff at Alter Rock, of course  :coffee:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 10:13:58 am
You don't really know yourself until temptation has been placed in your way. I would have said I am usually very undemonstrative, and especially bouldering I prefer to work problems quietly on my own. My subconscious interprets encouragement from a group as intimidating performance pressure.

But then, last night at the wall an attractive young Canadian lass asked for some help interpreting the German language signs & instructions, and after we established that we were climbing at a somewhat similar level she wanted to be shown round some problems. OK, fine. Then somehow I found myself doing sit-ups on our local party trick kneebar problem. Oops.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#14 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 10:34:47 am
 ;D quality!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 01:28:27 pm
 :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 01:33:51 pm
I think we've all been there... :)

Stallioni? where are you.....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#17 Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 03:24:07 pm
It is sad to admit... But us middle agers do tend to show off for attractive young lasses...

Possibly even more than the teenage lads do!

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 03:25:05 pm
But in a far more subtle way :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#19 Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 03:44:08 pm
But in a far more successful way :)

😇😉

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#20 Re: Do you ham it up?
October 20, 2012, 04:55:33 pm
I occasionally act out more huffing, puffing, gurning than is necessary when I've severely over-sandbagged someone and need to make myself seem less of a sandbagging cunt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal